Sodomized by Logic Pro X

Discussion in 'Logic' started by stevitch, Feb 28, 2016.

1. stevitch

stevitch Audiosexual

When I commenced the current project (comprising eight songs) a fortnight ago, I decided that it would be my last major undertaking with Logic Pro X (10.2.1), due to my dismay over how bloated and buggy the motherfather has gotten with each update. Since I already had creative juices flowing with the DAW of greatest familiarity to me, I decided to forego learning-curvature for creative down-time.

Over the past couple weeks, working in LPX, the creative ideas kept snowballing, gaining momentum and size as I progressed. I made sure to make back-ups of the Logic projects at the end of each day, and I kept the projects really tidy and as trimmed-of-fat as possible.

However, during those past two weeks, I also felt some of those creative juices flowing freely down my leg as I wrestled with CPU spikes, pops and clicks, "System Overload" messages, workarounds, freezing tracks – and strange new bugs, whereby regions would move across the timeline to other tracks, freeze files were not being generated for "frozen" tracks, changes wouldn't save, and other inexplicable, vexing novelties.

Today, I decided that three of the songs' rough mixes were keepers, but the other half needed some minor tweaking (shelving on a kick drum, lower or higher levels, and a MIDI bassline which was a half-step too high for the first 30 seconds or so, and which I had corrected previously but hadn't saved - another innovation in Logic's bugginess). I made three new, final mixes of songs, but then discovered that two - no, three - of the songs' files wouldn't open in LPX, apparently hanging-up on plug-is (such as Guitar Rig, Kontakt, and Apple’s own Sample Delay effect). How stupid could this get?

Tried restarting the computer; files still wouldn’t open. Re-installed LPX; still no workee. Tried importing the audio content, MIDI files and plug-ins from one file into a blank new one; the MIDI and bare audio would import, but the plug-ins and automations would hang it up, with that pretty new El Capitan pinwheel o’ stall-out spinning vibrantly.

Although I could, conceivably, re-create the one song in question, I have no record of which effects I had used, their settings, the automations, the amps, and such; the song was a creation “of the moment,” meaning I’d have to re-create that moment, which is impossible. Except for that buggy MIDI part, it was impeccable and powerful. I decided to keep the original mix, flawed nevertheless, partly because I didn’t want to augment my rage and frustration with losing some good work to the program itself. (The other song files unpenable in LPX - forget it, too complicated to even begin.)

This debacle not only killed my buzz over having done some really good, unprecedented stuff (for me, at least), shattered my pride in my accomplishment, wasted some hard, assiduous effort, concentration and passion, and pissed me off like a sumbitch – it confirmed to me that Logic Pro has gotten worse with each update of version 10 (or, “X” – as though it had a “slave name” to lose, or because it suggests “sex?”). I don’t care where “the problem” might have lain – it comes down to that Logic Pro has been sucking progressively, and now that it’s butchered three out of eight of my babies, Logic Pro sucks absolutely. A $200 e-turd is all it amounts to. Were it a physical object, it would be designated as “doorstop” or “paperweight.” Were it a human, it would be a “fucking asshole.” Maybe future updates of LPX will address these bugs, but I'm not wasting any more time, passion, work, and creativity in doing glorified beta-testing for Apple.

So, I’m’a finally ditch the bitch ’n’ make the switch. Reaper, babe, I’m yours, if you don’t mind me fooling around with Ardour and Studio One every once in a while.

3. beatroot

beatroot Producer

Hey man.I understand your dilemma.Been through this and came back to Logic 10.1.1.Works for me .Don't need Alchemy and all that jazz.The funny thing is that whenever Logic gives me trouble , I start Ableton Live 8.4 ...shut it down and then restart Logic x and viola,everything is fine.Don't know if that works for everyone though.Another thing you could try is try this by Eli.
    Google this heading and read on as we are not supposed to give direct links etc etc.:wink:

Logic Pro from A to Z – O is for Opening Corrupt Logic Pro Projects

4. bobwillaker

bobwillaker Newbie

We are in a day-and-age where our DAWs actually hinder our main goal which they are supposed to be helping with: creating our artistic ideas.

Every single DAW is so fucking bloated it's impossible to just create on a blank slate without worrying about crashing, project file corruption, etcetera. Unfortunately Reaper is NOT the answer. After getting frustrated with Logic, Pro Tools, Cubase, Live, and FL, I paid for and downloaded the latest version of Reaper (5.something) and sure enough, without even getting to the main screen, the stupid program crashed while scanning plugins. Oops, forgot to add Bitwig is also a piece of shit. It's so depressing. Why can't a single fucking professional audio program just open quickly and let me express myself while my ideas are fresh? If there are plugin errors, okay, don't let me open the plugin if I try, but why prevent me from even getting to a blank screen to start a song?