So you're a producer? What instruments do you play?

Discussion in 'humor' started by subGENRE, Jun 17, 2016.

1. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

FB_IMG_1466189845999.jpg
    I play piano, guitar/bass, and sing harmonies/backup vox.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

Oh. And 4x4 pads. Lol. Pad matrix is the new piano?

4. MrLyannMusic

MrLyannMusic Audiosexual

unfortunately i play zero instruments, all my stuff is done by ear, and piano roll,

but learning guitar and piano atm...

something i made :

soundcloud.com/sergentcaesar/sets/nothing-but-a-selfish-dream/s-fMUIq

Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  5. Yuri

Yuri Rock Star

If I play them badly does it still count?

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  6. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

Pad matrix is the new guitar, brother.
    More seriously - Piano / Guitar (6,7 & 12) / Ukulele / Bass (4 & 5)
    I also play Reaktor.

Oh. And these
    [​IMG]

7. Funk U

Funk U Platinum Record

Guitar, bass, drums(need to train again though, my meter is a little off), vocals(singing and rapping), learning piano right now as well. After piano probably alto sax.

8. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Dad was/is a musician... so drums (age 4), vocals, guitar, piano/keys, bass, mandolin, banjo, kalimba, darbuka, tin whistle...

• Like Like x 8
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  9. Amirious

Amirious Platinum Record

@subGENRE Same as you except the guitar/bass part.

10. Yuri

Yuri Rock Star

Guitar, bass, drums (passable), piano/keys (barely passable), glockenspiel, yang chin, melodica.

11. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

I'm an artist, and if you give me a tuba, I'll bring you something out of it :winker:

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. HETISFRANK

HETISFRANK Producer

Used to play piano and drums, don't play either of them anymore. I'll probably get shit for this from some elitists that used to wander around in some Foster911 thread about music theory, but depending on your goals it may not be as necessary to be extremely profound at playing any instruments. I have a solid basis (read: around 2 years of practice as a kid) on both the piano and drums but probably couldn't do shit on either anymore since I haven't touched them for at least 6-7 years about now.

Don't get me wrong, I think actually being capable of playing them in a fluent fashion is still extremely useful when just producing. Especially the piano since that's the most common way of getting harmonies/melodies inside your DAW (besides using the obvious piano roll) for most people. But do I think it's a completely necessary skill to acquire so one can be proficient at creating the music (s)he aspires to produce? No, not at all. It would probably speed up the process because drawing everything in through a piano roll could be a lot slower depending on the thing you are trying to create. But I actually link playing instruments to live performance and not so much to the production aspect.

So by all means, if your ultimate goal is to play out your songs in a live setting then I'd advice you to get profound at at least a single instrument. But if you don't aspire any of that, because you simply don't care about the live setting or looking to DJ whenever you could end up in a live setting, then don't put too much weight on it. I strongly believe in using the technology that's available to us in this day and age to actually help us out. Not so much act all elitist just because somebody happens to be a lot better at plucking snares or slamming down keys in rapid succession opposed to yourself.

For anyone interested in what I'm talking about in the last paragraph, please check out this little TED Talks video:

• Like Like x 7
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  13. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

I was listing what I consider myself proficient at (matter of opinion)
    I'll play whatever I can get my hands on.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. AKMusic

AKMusic Kapellmeister

I play keyboards, guitar, basses, drums and various styles and genres of hand percussions having traveled the world and studied percussionists. I studied and graduated with a performance degree in guitar and became a studio and touring musician based in Los Angeles but believe it or not... I was always fascinated by percussionists. My first experience with one was when I was a sound intern at the Golden Bear Nightclub (now gone forever) in Huntington Beach, CA. Steve Forman blew my mind with his array of toys and the sounds he would create that added SO MUCH to the music... I was forever a changed person. But having a front row seat every night at the Golden Bear put me (literally) in touch with the guitarists that influenced me... like B. B. King (RIP), Larry Carlton, Robben Ford, Albert King, Steve Lukather, Michael Landau, Lee Ritenour, Steve Morse, Hadley Hockensmith, Carlos Rios, Bonnie Raitt (yes, she's an amazing slide player), Abe Laboriel, Jimmy Haslip... I could go on for hours!
    But like Zenarcist said... I'll try any instrument if only out of curiosity and I WILL make music with it (it may not be good but it will be music!)

• Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  15. AKMusic

AKMusic Kapellmeister

Yes Yuri... it counts because you're trying. Keep it up and you WILL get better. "Practice, practice, practice". :wink:

• Like Like x 4
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  16. WolwerineBlues

WolwerineBlues Platinum Record

I play bass guitar and piano/synths man back in a day was easy just play one instrument join the band now you have to know production, to play couple instruments to manage you music to export in the air huh tough work:guru:

17. E.C.R

E.C.R Platinum Record

bass, piano,keyboards some drums (kinda) oh and a graduate degree in Kontrol with my thesis in Komplete

18. Guitar, bass, piano, harmonica , trumpet, mandoline, hand drums, native american flute, banjo and I sing. I don't ever consider myself a producer unless I am producing a song in the classic sense of the word, that is, helping an artist discover within themselves the best way to express themselves while documenting their work, while not actually creating the core of the work itself. I do however consider myself an artist first while I seek expression through sound and various other media, both two and three dimensionally as well as digitally.

And like @Zenarcist as well as John Lennon, I too adhere to the following idea...

19. eboe

eboe Producer

Guitar, bass, right hand keyboard and some shy vocal and drum pads ;)

20. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Drums,synth,piano,pad controller.

21. seriousofficial

seriousofficial Kapellmeister

drums, bass, guitar, harmony vocals, piano and keys and when applicable arranging all voices for a classical orchestra besides recording and mixing which is a very important part of music as well......and writing all this down, it feels silly doing so but you asked about it....:dunno:

p.s. I don't think Steve's going to contribute to this thread.....

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List