So what keep from EW Libraries?

Discussion in 'Samplers, Synthesizers' started by ArticStorm, Jan 13, 2022.

1. adsasdasd

adsasdasd Ultrasonic

Even though Opus Hollywood orchestra being their flagship collection, you shouldn't forget that most of the samples are old, very old. Listen Woodwind legato transitions for example. And also generally listen how dull the performances of the players are. But strings still rocks though, if I know correctly the collection has 18 first Violins which can't be found anywhere else. But as a package, I wouldn't compare it to the BBCSO or Berlin Series.

But the sonic quality really brings you back to the era of old hollywood blockbuster movie scores. And to me, this collection is perfect for layering stuff. Because they are recorded in a great studio the sound is lush and wide, thus it fills other libraries' voids very well. Specially strings, you should listen some demos.

The collection also has some unique patches like round-robin sustains for Strings, when you release a key and press another, players will change their bowing direction. Some interesting stuff!

So I would definitly keep it together with RA, Gypsy, Silk, Stormdrum 2 & 3 and Hollywood Choirs.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  2. Donut Nyamer

Donut Nyamer Audiosexual

That's seriously never crossed my mind before, but that's a genuinely great tip. :mates:

3. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

You are welcome :) The time will go faster than you think

4. AstralDis

AstralDis Kapellmeister

so is this the usual process, that I have to add the libraries from the HD through the menu each time I start the Engine?... In other words: they do not stay within the browser where you quick access them, as it is usual with Falcon, Kontakt, BS ...

EDIT: sorry, for OT - thought I would not need a new topic for that small question

5. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

This has not occurred for many people so someone who found this error and fixed it, might be able to assist you and it is an error if you have to reload it each time after correctly pointing to the library,

6. hackerz4life

hackerz4life Audiosexual

Yes and no. I would not say old but sounds that did not age well, sounds that sound dated and even modern processing cant hide it.

7. pon_pon

pon_pon Ultrasonic

actually, with covid present, studio are closed, and i only need something for my videos in social media (videos with my drone, bike, or family . . .) I starting with a artlist.io subscription, but . . . i always think in make my music, only daily 30 secs . . . then i install ableton, kontakt, falcon and play . . . (i am guitarist and producer mainly) . After 3 weeks, i only use play... and old things like adrenaline are fantastic for me . . .. very happy with play, i can make hundreds of videos easly , daily . . . in minutes . . .
    Only with goliath i can work weeks and weeks . . .
    maybe if i was a keyboard man and like electronic music, dance, hiphop, rap . . . dont like play, but i am not making a style of music, one day make rock soundtrack and another day new age or classic . . . only a few seconds . . .

find your way . . .
    i do not like rap , not like electronic presets (always find samples of real things) . . . and my way is PLAY.

8. AstralDis

AstralDis Kapellmeister

thx for your reply. it came to my mind that I could try adding them with admin rights.. and *that* did the trick :)

9. secretworld

secretworld Kapellmeister

I like stormdrum 3, but minified it by deleting the mid main and ribbon sample folders (keeping close and hifi). You can't do others cause then the presets won't load unless you first resave them with different mic setups. If Play can't find samples the only option is abort. Went from 83 to 35gb.
    Was only 10 minutes of work.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  10. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

This sounds like a good idea. I mean close and Hifi sounds already very useful.

I think i might only go with the Symphonic stuff, no need for Hollywood blabla stuff, to huge for me.

11. SF64

SF64 Member

I only have the Symphonic Adventures PLAY library, but that's purely just for the overused cheesy dramatic sting!
    (the patch is in 06 Film Orchestra FX -> Evil Mind 1 FX; note is C5 in FL Studio)

12. Metrophage

Metrophage Newbie

I have a few, but Stormdrum 1 is the only one I usually have installed. I don't usually bother with huge multisample instrument libraries, I use that stuff for sound design rather than scoring or whatever.

13. odod

odod Rock Star

But the OPUS Orchestrator and word builder are two good features from EW