so lets say i have 5 synths playing same notes - Cutoff envelope?

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by samsome, May 16, 2020.

1. samsome

samsome Guest

so lets say i have 5 synths playing same notes

i want to put a cutoff on all of them and use an envelope to trigger the cutoff each time the notes hit...

i know how to do it for 1 synth but when it comes to using 5 synths for example (i can't do it within 1 synth) and have no idea how to do it for all of them

for Cutoff an EQ would do..which i understand
    but how do i do the envelope part.....

how do i do this thanks

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2020
  3. 9000k

9000k Producer

Just do it internally on every synth, because if you do this outside of them, once the filter opens it will open for all the notes that are currently playing, and not only for the note/notes which just triggered filter at that particular moment... For example: you have one long note for 4 bars and small notes hitting every 1 bar, once external filter is triggered by any of these small notes every 1 bar it will open the filter for whole sound and notes that started playing long before the small ones and are still playing will open up as well once you trigger the filter by anything else, it doesn't sound good. But if you do filter envelope internally in synth, every note is sent to its own filter (yes, poly synths have multiple filters for every note played, even though it may look like a single filter). That is the way to go.

However, if you insist on that and are using ableton, I think there was some kind of max for live device, which was grabbing midi data and could send it to auto filter's envelope or something like that. Normally it is kind of hard to do unless manually, because effect devices react to audio signal not midi signal (I might be wrong).

Last edited: May 16, 2020
  4. scott

scott Kapellmeister

not sure i fully understand your question ,but doesnt each synth have its own filter envelope that could be set to identical settings?

More importantly you might want to ask yourself what you're hoping to achieve by having 5 synths playing the same note at the same time

5. 9000k

9000k Producer

I think he just wants to speed up the workflow / make it cleaner/simpler, especially for automation and layering multiple synths for one sound is quite normal in genres like trance

The best way would be to make some kind of instrument rack (ableton has one), put all 5 synths in it and get filters done one by one on every synth, then sent all 5 cutoffs from 5 synths to one macro knob, which will controll all of them.

6. ozguney

ozguney Member

Which daw are you using?

7. samsome

samsome Guest

Reaper but feel free to tell me for any daw, and yes i don't want to do it for each synth it would create a mess

i need a cutoff to control everything....and each midi note should trigger the envelope of cutoff as well...

i think what i need is a cutoff envelope that can be triggered by midi

8. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

If you dont want to use teh filters of teh stacked synths this might be helpful:
    https://xferrecords.com/products/lfo-tool
    I havent used it myself but it looks like it has a midi trigger
    Serum FX also works

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. Matt777

Matt777 Rock Star

If I understand correctly what you are trying to achieve, I would take The Drop (Cytomic) and:

- put it on a bus (and route your synths audio to same one)
    - set the filter (let's say you want a LP to open when the note triggers) LP freq to something low
    - turn ON the ENV 1 (on the right side of central MOD button) and crank it up as you please
    - turn ON the blue ENV button (below the MOD button) an set it to TRIG and MIDI
    - turn ON the blue MIDI (on the right side) and the yellow LP TRK

- set up a MIDI track and copy your notes to that one
    - send the MIDI info to The Drop vst on your bus
    - adjust the ENV 1 (attack, hold, release,...) and the amount (+ or -) to taste

Hope this is what you want. Ask anything..
    :wink:

Ps you can of course send midi from any of your existing tracks, as they are the same for all synths

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  10. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

Fabfilter Volcano can be triggered by midi notes.So create a bus for all your 5 synths and insert FF Volcano on this bus.And create a midi track for FF Volcano with the same midi event you used for your synths.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. samsome

samsome Guest

thanks guys for your input

Matt777, Blue, thanks So so far we have the DROP and Fabfilter Volcano...if there's also something native in Reaper or Reason would help! but i'll check those

12. joem

joem Producer

he trying to make tha future basses or da melodic wub wubs lol, best way to do it is route the mall to a group/bus channel slap a filter on the bus that's how its done simple.

13. justwannadownload

justwannadownload Audiosexual

You can use Volcano for that. In the modulation window, assign new Envelope Generator to filter cutoff, switch it to Midi trigger and use a new Midi track with the same notes to trigger it.

14. Obineg

Obineg Platinum Record

yes, please try to rephrase the question.