So Kontakt 5.6+ library drop tray is just broken now?

Discussion in 'Kontakt' started by Valorouswon, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Valorouswon

Valorouswon Noisemaker

Hello,

Ever since going to Kontakt 5.6 and above the libraries will not expand. For example when I click on certain libraries such as Requiem, I have to use the file browser in Kontakt, because clicking on the traditional tabs does not expand anything.

I've tried clearing my registry completely of all Kontakt 5 and even libraries, as well as manually uninstalling in Windows 7.

Can someone help me solve this once and for all? It's been months.

Thanks!

3. Valorouswon

Valorouswon Noisemaker

I'd also like to add that I've tried installing older versions of kontakt like 5, 5.1, and 5.3 before updating to 5.6. This did nothing.

4. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

Try running Kontakt as Admin and adding the offending libraries to your database through the Options menu then Update or Refresh and Scan. If it's still not working make sure you have full control over those directories, Permissions-wise and if it's still not working go to C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Native Instruments\Kontakt 5\Db and delete the files there and restart Kontakt.

5. TinTin

TinTin Platinum Record

i think you needs a new HDD soon . and or your folder structure of those Libs are wrong .

6. boogiewoogie

boogiewoogie Platinum Record

Post a screenshot to show what is happening

7. Valorouswon

Valorouswon Noisemaker

SSDs are fine. kontakt 5.1 and 5.6 trays are working fine on my gaming HDD that is 5 years old. I was having this issue then it magically got fixed when I wasn't even trying, no idea what happened on the other drive to make it work again.

8. TinTin

TinTin Platinum Record

so you have copied it to another drive now as the one from before ?

9. Valorouswon

Valorouswon Noisemaker

No I just have kontakt on gaming drive for kicks, for a while now, installed exact same way as DAW drive.

10. Valorouswon

Valorouswon Noisemaker

Tried all that, still not working. I attached a pic, I have to right click on the folders now then just open it through my computer, and of course the file browser within kontakt. 50% of my libraries can't be accessed through drop down menu.

There's also "database" between files and export, anything I should delete in there?

Attached Files:

11. TinTin

TinTin Platinum Record

you needs to be a bit specific as otherwise no one can help you really .

the scrennshot does not help either .

so to say you have the same libs on 2 HDDs , one on DAW HDD and one on gaming HDD ?

12. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

Did you try to batch resave any of the libs in question first? That should sort out any missing files. Have you tried adding any libs to the quickload tab "tray" ?

database between files and export?

We want to help you, but you need to explain it a little better

13. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

Batch re-save like subGENRE says is a good idea. Remove the library from the tab and add it again then try batch re-save. Move the entire library to your local drive and add it and see if it makes any difference. If it does, it is a permissions issue for the directories on your external.

Forgive me but are you double-clicking to get into the folders in your library tab?

14. Valorouswon

Valorouswon Noisemaker

Batch did nothing, but I moved library from SSD to my OS/DAW drive without doing batch resave, and it worked. I right clicked the ssd where samples being streamed from, right clicked but there is no permission security options.

In the pic I DOUBLE right clicked, and I get the message to search containing folder.

15. Valorouswon

Valorouswon Noisemaker

Batch did nothing, but I moved library from SSD to my OS/DAW drive without doing batch resave, and it worked. I right clicked the ssd where samples being streamed from, right clicked but there is no permission security options.

There's no point in sending pic because nothingis happening, no messages or errors, I just double right click on the tab to show internal folder. I attached another pick of the Database I referrred to

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017

Attached Files:

16. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

Maybe you reconfigured your mouse button for a left hand but by default it should be double LEFT click.

Right click the specific Kontakt library folder, not the icon for the drive.

17. TinTin

TinTin Platinum Record

yes as i thought i think your hdd gets broken soon and or yor filesystem on the hdd are wrong or broken , good luck

18. suefreeman

suefreeman Producer

If you change the location of a library, you need to remove it ( as you said : from the traditionnal tabs ) and add it again using the new location.

19. Valorouswon

Valorouswon Noisemaker

I already did that initially, unchecked READ ONLY then applied. Important to mention that on my gaming HDD (kontakt 5.6+ works), kontakt is streaming from the exact same internall SSDs like my OS/DAW drive. Feels like something needs to be rearranged in a weird folder, or deleted. I have no idea how the other HDD works with 5.6, they're streaming the exact same folders/ssds. Even wiped kontakt completely and tried installing different ways/versions on both drives, one day it magically worked on the game drive.

No, I have 8 SSDs, all working fine everything below Kontakt 5.6. When I update is issue, folders are messed up.

I did that, was very meticulous in removing or adding things and trying different hard drives. Read my convo with Pinkman to get a better idea of what I mean

UPDATE:

Since kontakt 5.6 on my HDD gaming drive is working fine, I tried copying over the folder from program files - common files - native instruments - Kontakt 5 to my DAW drive. Thought this might fix it but nope.

Found a temporary solution - I copy pasted the libraries that are not working on multiple SSDs, onto my DAW desktop, then I simply pasted them back. No editing properties at all. More larger libraries are not working so this isn't really an ideal way to fix them all, Im just going through the ones in my current project. I'd also like to get of the root of the issue.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  20. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

Are you trying to have two different installations of Kontakt 5.6 on two separate drives on the same computer?
    Meaning you have:
    "Program Files\Native Instruments\Kontakt 5\Kontakt 5.exe" on your "DAW drive"
    and
    "Program Files\Native Instruments\Kontakt 5\Kontakt 5.exe" on your "gaming drive" ???

Two installations of Kontakt is possible if they are different versions but it sounds like you are trying to update one version to 5.6 (which isn't working) when you already have Kontkat 5.6 on another drive (that works properly).

I would just uninstall Kontakt completely from the gaming drive and focus on using the installation on the DAW drive. Once you do this, you should be able to update to 5.6 without problems. Or just uninstall Kontakt from the DAW drive and use what's already working on the gaming drive.
    Or keep both but realize that you can't have both at 5.6. One will have to remain an older version.
    Two separate Kontakt installs with the same version would only be possible if you were disconnecting and reconnecting drives and creating symlinks each time. It won't work simultaneously.

Kontakt libraries can be on different drives and all over the place but duplicating the Kontakt program files is redundant and will create conflicts. Also, when you've decided which install you want to keep, use Registry Editor to make sure that the Install64Dir/InstallDir locations are correct at:
    Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Native Instruments\Kontakt 5

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  21. Valorouswon

Valorouswon Noisemaker

I'm not sharing kontakt, I have two separate WIN 7 internal HD's, one is a HDD for gaming, the other a SSD my daw and os. The only thing being shared is the sample streaming drives. I have kontakt 5.6 on both drives since they are separate.

Yep I cleared out registry on both drives many times, no idea I'll have to figure it out by accident again.