So, is the Roland Cloud XV-5080 VST not truly 44.1khz?

Discussion in 'Software' started by MokuseiFolf13, Oct 7, 2023.

1. MokuseiFolf13

MokuseiFolf13 Ultrasonic

Basically, not too long ago, from a fruitless endeavour: I was trying to see if I could replace the ROM files in one of my pirated Roland VSTs (notably the SRX series) with some modified, more "fuller" version of said ROMs, then inspecting the actual PCM waveform ROM I noticed a curious detail of the ROM's metadata. While I can't directly reproduce my discovery (from using a program to peep through .bin files), I can provide a screenshot of my text editor interpretting the ROM below. Screenshot 2023-10-07 at 14.04.49.png
    To avoid confusion and to boil it down I've highlighted the line of interest. "XV3080ROM...". If I had to assume anything, this is utilizing the XV-3080's internal PCM ROM, similar to that of the JV-1080 and SRX VSTs' wavesets. Does this mean that, while of course not getting ripped off in the process, that I'm essentially using a glorified softsynth XV-3080, given that the 3080 uses 32khz, much compressed waveforms (According to the Don Solaris FAQ page seen here)?

I understand that the XV-5080 waveset contains the rudimentary 32khz samples from it's much older JV/JD derivatives, but also has the HQ 44.1khz waveforms from Roland's newer, contemporary models as well as the exclusive XV sounds.

Please let me know what to make of this, I'd really like to know more! ^w^

3. stopped

stopped Producer

there's really no way of knowing short of a program that can actually parse those files properly.
    it seems legitimate that what you found is the beginning of the 3080 banks, but that header is quite possibly ignored by the actual software, so the sections for other banks may not necessarily even need such headers. given that, who knows what else is in there without a program that pulls the waveforms and parses the sysex for the patches

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. MokuseiFolf13

MokuseiFolf13 Ultrasonic

Quite interesting. I find it strange because while it isn't exactly known (or at least documented often) on the size of the sample ROM of the XV-3080, whereas the one I've shown is roughly over 32mb (33.6mb in the plugin?). There's a chance that the internal ROM was pulled off and the actual preset memory was removed somewhere else?

The sample ROM for the base XV-5080 is apparently 64mb (from several online resources), so I suppose that can help my analysis? Another thing I noticed was from recordings of the 5080's percussion samples, that they seem longer than how it's heard in the plugin (without reverb), a little bit of an abrupt cutoff, notably in the bongo samples, making them sound shorter.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2023