So i watched TENET....

Discussion in 'Music' started by Aiden_CL, Dec 9, 2020.

Tags:
  1. RitchieM

RitchieM Rock Star

oh my god I think I had a happy accident on the final episode of season 2. If you love the original trilogy, to me it evokes the same emotion and feel. Of course you can’t I do flaws, stuff that is then retconned, but it just feels of that time, and for me it’s just a perfect fit in there. Obviously I then wish that all the prequels and sequels matched the mood, there are things that you can pick holes in, but if you are a 42 yr old guy that had all the toys and don’t bounce like an 8 yr old watching it, you are really beyond help! And yes, I was that guy!! :rofl:

2. Gyro Gearloose

Gyro Gearloose Audiosexual

warhammer 40 k---eg the eishorn ravenor stuff with star wars budget ...

or steven kings the dark tower exact like the books with star wars budget...

that would really kicking

come on the plot from mandalorian is nothing special at all...the comic screens at the end of the episodes is best

3. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

That episode was the most 'orch' he's done.
    There's so much that's so good about the soundtrack and incidental reprises that he's done in some episodes.
    I think he really found his flow in the second series.
    Hard to believe he had anything to do with Tenet, but it wasn't mixed the same.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

It definitely stands on its own for sure (I literally just got finished watching the second season finale), but if you're a STAR WARS geek, you'll get some extra enjoyment out of it. They did the smartest thing they could: strip the story back to its simple roots in Westerns, old sci-fi serials and Akira Kurowsawa movies. I think they intentionally crafted it to attract viewers who might not be overly familiar with STAR WARS and it works.

It's definitely the best STAR WARS-related thing to come along since EMPIRE STRIKES BACK (I haven't gotten around to watching "The Clone Wars", but "Rebels" was also pretty decent). Who'd have thunk that the fat, stupid stoner guy from P.C.U. would end up saving the STAR WARS franchise and also changing the way movies and TV will be shot forever (by spearheading the construction of the new completely digital soundstage for "The Mandalorian") one day?

Last edited: Dec 24, 2020
  5. orbitbooster

orbitbooster Audiosexual

I didn't see the movie, so I'll stick with ost only.

I have no doubt that the composer is a great professional, but from the extract above, I just can say that's a terrible electro mumbling.
    It's like a kid playing a beefed up Re-Birth 338 tweaking knobs, soaked in reverb and distortion.

Where the hell is the theme? Can someone tell me how to remember or whistle or transcribe the motif?
    This is just an audio fx, sorry.

Is it the executive producer or director to want this stuff or explicit composer will (hope not)?

Now think, after 50 years will be remembered like, let's say, The Good, The Bad and the Ugly that I still can remember, whistle and transcribe?

Poor Williams, poor Goldsmith, poor Horner, poor Morricone.

6. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

OK, I'll bite, gonna watch The Mandalorian now that you have sung it's praises. Hallelujah and pass me the remote.

7. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

I agree, "The Mandalorian" is a great show. I'm not an especially big "star wars" fan but that show is dope.

9. Ankit

Ankit Guest

wait... you mean Tenet is for kids and Star Wars is for grown ups like you? :woot:

Finished watching season 1. It is great.

10. Ankit

Ankit Guest

11. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

Oh! I see.
    So again I will say, "this is the way"...
    Please watch from the first episode, and watch a few, so you can see how he worked it.
    After a few episodes, when we're used to the theme and his approach, he used various references from the theme to allude to certain feels in the plot. Very clever.
    Nice mix of acoustic with a slight spattering of electronica.
    The most 'John Williams' was the last episode of Season 2. So hurry up! There were a lot of strings.
    The show is definitely aimed at my gen who were 4 or 5 when Star Wars came out, and so the foley and sound fx are pure nostagia!
    It's appealing though because it has a Carradine/Kung Fu vibe, and a bit of a Western hero vibe. Slight Morriconi refs in places. Stupid not to!
    All mixed in with the slightly steampunk Star Wars universe.
    Please suspend your disbelief and submerge yourself in this series, if just for the audio side of it.

12. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

Because movie scores in general are extended trailer cues now. He can do the obnoxious blend of inception horns & electronic avant-garde reasonable well. Reality is that character themes are a thing of the past. Hopefully its just a phase. But an entire generation of kids have grown up expecting that kind of music in movies now. It's rare to even see a scene anymore with no dialogue & where the music tells the story. Kids dont have attention spans like previous generations. They want pop music elements mixed with over the top unrealistic 60 piece horn sections blasting their ear drums with lens flares & half baked CGI to over emphasize the obvious impending doom of a scene. A cinematic masterpiece could be created today using practical effects & traditional thematic orchestration, but the majority of people would be sleeping 30 minutes in because we've become so used to instant gratification

Ludwig is a pop star producer. Not a composer's composer. Just because you put traditional orchestral instruments in a soundtrack doesn't earn you the title. THATS MY OPINION, & I know most here will disagree. I'm not hating on Ludwig. I just feel his credits as a composer are misdirected. He is a very talented musician & I wish him continued success.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. Gyro Gearloose

Gyro Gearloose Audiosexual

read again...im not big fan of bla bla...
    but i must say sci fy outer space thing is one thing (even not possible at all cause of radiation and distances ) and make out fantasy worlds storys out of it and its another thing to picture a childish impression of a real world thing like cia and spionage which is ending up a complete joke , rather comedy than anytging else +propaganda
    + i can tell you all the time what will happen next in such movies without ever have seen it before
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 24, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  14. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

SFX and score in The Mandalorian were fantastic. I loved the western vibe of it all too.
    That Dark Trooper dub-step was a little jarring but I get it.
    I remember this show from 2004 called Touching Evil. I thought it had some superb scoring (I love percussion, distortion and weird mangling of sounds). Come to find out it, Atticus Ross was one if the composers. There's even some NIN in there too. Very nice.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. orbitbooster

orbitbooster Audiosexual

Thank you, I was thinking to be the only one in this universe to believe this.

Who fck cares? You won't be charged for divergent opinion.

16. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Sorry for getting back to the topic. Did someone try to watch Tenet backwards? Does it make more sense this way? :unsure: [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  17. Kluster

Kluster Audiosexual

I was thinking of watching it on magic mushrooms.
    That way I could watch it forwards and backwards at the same time :woot:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  18. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Sounds convincing. :rofl:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  19. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

Played backwards, all the "BWAAAAAAAAAMMMMMS!!!" are actually the air guitar solos from BILL AND TED'S EXCELLENT ADVENTURE.

20. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

I watched it again on acid and during the opening credits I realized the plot was a loop, which then became a line, which turned into a point and I was staring at a static image on screen for 2 hours and 30 mins.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List