So I made a drum buss rack for Live

Discussion in 'Live' started by B00nD0ggie, Mar 10, 2022.

1. B00nD0ggie

B00nD0ggie Kapellmeister

because... Thursday. I was very dissatisfied with Ableton's stock drum buss, it's incredibly limited, for a drum buss. I mean if you're doing drums, u want them to BANG, with control of course. So I put together a random sampling of plugs (that are available if u know where to look) I have in my toolbox. Some I use all the time, some I rarely use, some are freebies, some are not. This rack is in no way comprehensive, nor made to say one compressor is better than another short of features, but I think if u compare them with each other on different drums, u will find certain predictability. I found it pretty remarkable how different compressors sound with different drums, but not always the same sound. This is why Ableton's Drum Buss sucks; it's the same thing if u use it on different drums, sometimes passable, most times extremely limited.

Anyways, the buss has other features, an EQ (Ableton stock), a level meter (TBAudios excellent MVMeter, calibrated at -18 dbfs), Ableton gate, Bit crusher, and Auto filter (for filter drive effects), and Sonimus SonEQ (I dunno... I've used it for so long and again, its Thursday.). The compressors are choose-able by the main rack control knob, clearly labeled as are a few other features. Remember to always calibrate your signal so that ur at 0 db when hitting the plugins (EQ, Filter, compressors), and if u EQ away some of the signal, compensate! It's a fun thing to do to set your compressors at an equal level having their attacks relatively the same, and such and switching thru different ones, hearing what they do to the sound. It's VERY drastic.

Again, this isn't meant to say one compressor is better than another (though u will likely find it that way.) But my opinion, for what it's worth is positive for a few compressors, notably, ArtsAcoustic CLMS-1 (WHY do they not continue development on this comp???), FabFilter Pro-C 2, and Kush Audio Silika. I'm sorry if I didn't include your favorite compressor, I just had what I had on hand. Likely I'll be weeding out a few compressors because I found they had consistently poor results (I'm looking at u Rough Rider 1 and 2!!).

Compressors include:
    Kush Audio AR-1
    ArtsAcoustic CLMS-1
    Molot03
    U-HE Presswerk
    FabFilter Pro-C 2
    Audio Damage RoughRider 1, 2, and 3
    Kush Audio Silika

Have fun!

EDIT: Ooops wrong file I uploaded, because fucking Thursday. U can still use that file, but make sure to up the gain on the initial MVMeter to 0 db, or u won't hear anything. or just download the newer file.

EDIT2: I just realized I didn't put Abletons stock compressor or Glue compressor in there. Guess I shoulda done that, lol. I'll update it in a bit, maybe.

EDIT: Done, included Ableton's stock compressors

Last edited: Mar 10, 2022
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  3. PifPafPif

PifPafPif Rock Star

I had good results with Waves API2500 : pump
    And Valley Audio Dynamite for that "snap"

Two compressors most ppl don't even know :rofl:

4. davea

davea Platinum Record

@B00nD0ggie : Interesting, could you share it? I'm curious. The link you gave is dead.

5. B00nD0ggie

B00nD0ggie Kapellmeister

I know of the API 2500 in hardware form, I don't use Waves stuff cause... Waves. But the hardware API is pretty nice. However, and again, the reason I posted this rack is u will notice a LOT of what a compressor does depends on the actual program material. it's very hard to say a compressor is better because sometimes, even the worst compressor can sound very good on the particular set of drums you are working with. I think there are three major aspects of compression people should know: the technical (attack times and curves, Threshold depth, input gain, et c.), actual sound characteristics (peakiness, low end, distortion), and features (built-in limiter, different style of compression formats). It's very hard to say one compressor does it all.

6. B00nD0ggie

B00nD0ggie Kapellmeister

yeah, I uploaded the wrong file but fixed the link, it's at the bottom, "Have Fun!" is the link.