so... helix native is here, what do you think?

Discussion in 'Software' started by pelao, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Torrao

Torrao Platinum Record

2. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

I really don't give a shit. If you are truly a guitar player you are missing out....... that's all.
    Have you heard the tones @Jaymz is getting? I usually trust someone that has proven they know tone, way more than someone with only e-courage.

Clips please with that dimed input on S-gear. @Torrao. I hope you didn't load an IR with that S-gear tone. That would be tweak cheating.

3. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

Because every thing else is bloated? There are no knobs, just sliders a la AirWindows.

The effects, amps are very nice to me and some others here. Repeating 'it's shit' is not going to change my mind.

I understand some are too lazy but truly, if anyone hasn't tried Helix with IRs (even non Nebula) nor inserted EQ post amp along with AirWindow's Guitar conditioner is missing out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. Yuri

Yuri Rock Star

Everything? Every other piece of software? I have no dog in this fight either way, but you do seem to be overly defensive about something which basically comes down to personal choice.

5. metaller

metaller Audiosexual

Don't care about what people say. :no: Trust your ear and feeling. I don't know why there are lots of enemies for Native Helix although It sounds and feels very well!
    For added plugins, I just used a noise gate before the Helix because my guitar always has noise on the bridge pickup. With any other vst, it sounds and feels great to me, As a real amp user!

6. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

That has nice pictures of amps to make it look like you are playing a particular amp. Yes.
    Before questioning the size of the VST try it out?

I'm not defensive. Just defending my position esp. when I get quoted.

7. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

For very aggressive metal tones how do you compare it to Thermionik?

8. metaller

metaller Audiosexual

I have never tried Thermionik but when I compare it to others Native helix wins! (sorry for not setting noise gate appropriately for each one individually ):

Native Helix test

Bias fx test 1

Bias fx test 2

Toneforge Benbruce Test

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  9. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

@metaller Out of those four, Helix wins. You obviously like metal tones, you owe it to yourself to try Thermionik.
    The noise, very apparent in the ben bruce clip, sounds like a grounding or shielding issue?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. metaller

metaller Audiosexual

Yes, I should try thermionic too. Can you recommend a good preset for it?

The noise is from my bridge humbucker pickups! Sometimes the environment makes the noise very bad. In this situation, I managed to be in a direction that noise is much lower. However, I don't know how I should fix it completely.

11. Jaymz

Jaymz Audiosexual

Heres one im working on.... New Original kinda Blues Heavy >>> 2 Line6 Helix Guitars left and Right and a Miced Marshall 2000 of mine left and right all at Equal volume.... so 4 recorded guitar tracks i didnt Reamp them i played all 4 individual recordings

12. Voo

Voo Platinum Record

I can find a good tone from alot of different sims. They all have strengths and weaknesses.
    There's even tones from version to version. I have a favorite tone in Amplitube 3 that I cannot duplicate in Amplitube 4.

If you just like the sound of one amp well I guess you need to stay with the best version of that amp you find.

I'm all over the place in genres but my fav is the blues.

I usually use S-Gear but Ive been exclusively been using Helix Lately.
    Helix has a much more defined clean sound so when you add dirt it just simply sounds better.

Also Helix is absolutely great for running 2 diff cabs one right and one left.. REALTIME 3D playing.
    Sure all the other sims can do it but Helix to me seems to do it better.

just another opinion

13. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

It sounds like the ground wire on your pickup might not have a proper connection. IF you have a back on your guitar that you can take off, try moving some wires gently while you are plugged in.
    Do other guitars behave this way? Or are you super close to your computer and monitor?

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  14. metaller

metaller Audiosexual

The back of my guitar is covered. I should see if I can remove it and take a close look. Or maybe I will go to an expert.
    My other guitar isn't that much noisy like this, even other pickups of the same guitar aren't noisy! However, I should try the other guitar another time with the same preamp setting.
    Actually, this pickup is sometimes noisy with a real amp!
    Sometimes when I change my position it gets better! But I think there should be a problem with pickup because it gets too much noise from the environment.
    Thank you for your tips. I really appreciate it.
    :bow::mates:

15. Jaymz

Jaymz Audiosexual

Another tip is to turn away from your preamp and monitors wen recording if you have actives ;) but yeah like @dragonhill said check the grounds on the guitar first \m/

16. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

Next time your pedal starts sounding good, fight the urge to test the 9v on your tongue and measure it with a multimeter.
    Maybe a 9v battery cable will work if you can't find that special jack?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2017
  17. Voo

Voo Platinum Record

I had that problem plugging directly into a focusrite 6i6 and also on a tc electronics interface. What solved it for me was a cheap behringer di 400p (ultra di) and it fixed my noise issue.

The noise seemed worse with overdrive or compression pedals on amp sims.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  18. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Thanks a lot! I couldn't help but try it when arrived home. And while I was at it I did a little contribution to this forum :wink:

You sure? Judging by the nick and avatar @metaller strikes me as a reggaeton guy... :dunno:

The presets of Thermionik/recabinet are pretty straightforward. Choose a triple/dual rectifier amp and a 4x12 modern usa cab and rock :guitarhero:

For all the people who say Helix sounds fizzy, I think that's because it tries to model a real gear. You just filter below 50/100 Hz and specially above 10-12KHz and sounds great

19. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

I guess that was stating the obvious. I bet @metaller likes to skank and bubble with the best of 'em?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  20. Charlomagne

Charlomagne Ultrasonic

Try connecting a simple wire from your bridge strings to the sleeve guitar plug (-). Sometimes this fix the noise.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List