so good upfront vocal

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by tzzsmk, Mar 7, 2020.

1. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

I've heard this track on radio, shazam'ed it, and since then listened on various gear/places and the whole track coherence, especially vocals stand upfront very well,
    disclaimer - definitely not my favourite genre, but the more it impressed me..

HOW is that achieved (asking about the mix, not the vocalist/recording ofc) ??

3. korte1975

korte1975 Guest

my guess:

1176 ->LA2A ->Neve1073EQ+saturation ->Deesser. ambient reverb on an fx buss.

dear very clever and educated forum members. please enlighten me why my comment is funny to you.

i don't care the likes, but the "funny" seems a bit like bullying here.

good day

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2020
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  4. SmokerNzt

SmokerNzt Rock Star

5. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

There is another technique, maybe to add to the techniques above.
    I haven't listened to your example, but I've seen several producers do this, one was Eric Kupper.
    Stack 5 vocal takes, VocAlign them, and fan them out evenly with panning. Eg. one central, two at 10 o'clock/2 o'clock, and the last two as extreme as you want. Sounds great.
    He used it a lot with Missy Elliot and Janet Jackson, and on some tracks I was part of.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Being a metal-head I'm very used to the multi-tracking rhythm guitars concept.

I was surprised when I heard multi-tracking was also used with vocals. It's almost the same with slightly different panning options and without the aligning stage. It's still widely used, I saw it recently on a trustworthy YT video.

7. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

Cut away all the low end and compress the b'jesus out of it. Keep it up the middle and spread the bass and lower mids to the sides a bit to create a hole.. And now I need bandaids on my ear drums from listening to this screechy-scratchy track.