So... Do DAWs sound different?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Gramofon, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Mostwest

Mostwest Platinum Record

Of course this is a FL export setting but there is not such setting in S1

FL have 512 point export settings S1 doesn't.

2. globalpeace

globalpeace Noisemaker

There is no difference when you're working with samples. Result = All DAW Sounds the Same (If your using samples)

But while working with vsts, the sounds and the wave forms are different. Phase Cancellation is not working on vsts :sad:

3. Gramofon

Gramofon Producer

Nope. Just tested it with Harmor. 100% in sync and 100% phase cancellation.

Hm. Well, if you have free running oscillators it's, of course, unlikely that you'll get a 100% match of the waveforms.

Also, are you sure that there's nothing like oversampling involved? Some vsts will behave differently in offline/rendering mode. (Engage higher oversampling or higher interpolation in case of Kontakt if you've set it that way) Voxengo plugs will also show "Off-line Render" if they're open while rendering.

[​IMG]

FL and REAPER have the option to notify plugins. S1 doesn't. And yes, if you're pushing your hardware to the limit it's very likely that you'll need it. I know for one that Kontakt and PLAY need to be notified of rendering mode if you're running high polyphonies or pushing the RAM/CPU to its limits.

As far as FL's mixer interpolation is concerned, I think that setting affects only live playback and it changes to the highest setting when rendering by itself. Could be wrong though.

4. mono

mono Audiosexual

after doing a test with sylenth in studio one and fl studio
    and i found there defalt db is not the same ?
    studio ones db is about +3 more :wow:

live and fl have the same defalt db do

@Calvinmusic you should turn on the mix in buffer switch and the triple buffer :wink:

====

it could of been that the defalt note velocity
    is set higer in studio one for midi notes = plugins
    and thats why just the waves files are the same,hum buzz :boombox:

5. Gramofon

Gramofon Producer

What do you mean? That affects only the input, not the playback.

I think I've noticed that in REAPER. But it lets you choose, when S1 doesn't. It just provides "optimised" defaults.

Also, I can't shake the feeling that REAPER does itself something funky with MIDI velocities. It shows a lot in the first drums example.

6. globalpeace

globalpeace Noisemaker

Sorry, Confused with this

Attached Files:

7. Thankful

Thankful Rock Star

How misleading it is then, when a company like Magix has this line in their marketing for Sequoia 13: "Finish off projects in the highest possible quality." The highest possible quality of course probably relates to bit rates and achievable in all the DAWs. But on first reading it looks like Magix are saying that you can only achieve the highest possible quality by using their product!

8. dipje

dipje Ultrasonic

omg, nobody reads my posts or something? explained it twice

9. mono

mono Audiosexual

@ Gramofon what i was talking about
    is when you press a note into the piano roll using your mouse ,
    ive been looking into a bit more and
    each daw has its own rulls for this,

studio one is set at 80%
    same as fl studio but the sound is +3db more in studio one
    then live is set at 100 but still to check the db,

@dipje sorry i cant read :(

10. Mostwest

Mostwest Platinum Record

80% is 102 (out of 127). They add a midi/percentage switcher in previous updates.

11. Evorax

Evorax Rock Star

Yo Mostwest,
    Does the Zplane Elastique V3 timestretching algo in StudioOne3 bothered you yet?

12. Mostwest

Mostwest Platinum Record

Still working on V2. I'll test it and let you know if sounds good as in v2.

13. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

I'm gonna go ahead and say even if DAWs did sound different, the difference would be absolutely negligible compared to one's mixing/processing ability.

14. Evorax

Evorax Rock Star

On tonal elements, i've heard a lot of producers complaining about Elastique V3, even Reaper or Cubase 8 users.. but Reaper at least gives you the option to choose between V2 and V3 algos. Elastique3 is great for percussive elements and Elastique2 is great for tonal/complex elements. If you have something complex to stretch in S1v3, you'll have to bounce it and import it into S1v2, do the tweaks, then re-import it into S1v3 :( .
    Or to start working on S1v2 then finish the project on S1v3, but you'll have to save backups, because you won't be able to open the v3 project version into V2. Pretty complicated for now :(

15. Mostwest

Mostwest Platinum Record

Ok, i runned some quick test between V2 and V3 when it comes to heavy stretching. I have used couple of loops, melodies and hit drums comparing "Drums" and "Audio Bend" Algorythms.

V2's strech sounds better than v3. V3 add more gain and higher frequency when stretching file.

In most of the scenarios V2 win or slightly win over V3. However V3 sounds slightly better when stretching single hit drums whith lot of low end and less high end Like toms and snares (I believe also kicks...). Tonal elements like plucks sounds better on V2.

So for me the winner is V2 wich sounds more natural and controlled compared to V3. But i had to admit that only people used to V2 will clearly notice this while people running Studio One, for the first time, and starting from V3 will never notice this... :(

btw i'm still working on V2, the only feature i miss from V3 is automation with bezier curve, but now i'm used to straight line and dots, so for now sticking with v2. Also V3 GUI stopped me from switching. I'll check V3 again when updates and bug fixes will be released. :wink:

16. Gramofon

Gramofon Producer

Although this is off-topic, I'll add my own test done entirely in REAPER:
    http://www2.zippyshare.com/v/2AzX8omg/file.html

http://www5.zippyshare.com/v/nBglBCQP/file.html (Normalised)

The first of each set is the original loop and then the same stretched in equal amounts, first in Elastique Pro 2.28 and then Elastique Pro 3. The "optimise for tonal content" was checked in the first one. What I noticed is that, indeed, Pro 3 adds more gain and seems to be more bass heavy and overall seems to be better suited for drums (the high lead synth in the first and the reverb tail of tha hats on the second loop sounds better to me than 2.28), while 2.28 seems to preserve tonal elements a bit better (mostly on lower freqs). But that, again, is more a matter of taste than "quality" (well, as long as you have the coice that is).

--------------------

FL's default input velocity is 100.

17. Evorax

Evorax Rock Star

Elastique V3 sounds more grainy, like granular kind of thing on tonal samples with long tail (and also lots of high frequencies). I took a tonal buildup sample with a lot of high frequencies once and stretched it in StudioOne3 (not heavily stretching) then the sample started sounding granular-like right away, like the sample started stuttering in a high-frequency oscillation fashion. I don't know how to describe it, but seriously, ElastiqueV2 didn't sounded like that on tonal elements. Indeed, Elastique3 sounds better on percussive elements, but we can't use StudioOne3 to timestretch drums only... :( Maybe i'm too picky and sensible to details, but i've got used to that smooth sounding ElastiqueV2 on long tonal/complex elements... :(

@Mostwest, i had too much big expectations about StudioOne3, but it actually didn't brought much on the table.
    Where's the GUI's improvements such as oversampled sample-clips's waveform display, where's the clarity and sharpness of V2? OneReason is right, the GUI looks washed and unclear, amateur-like. Also where's the global bypass button? Where's the internal bridge? (even though it's not an issue for me, as most of my plugs are 64bit anyways) Where's the "MIDI DEVICE AUTO-DETECT" feature which detects and connects your midi keyboard automatically once you turned it on.(let's say you forgot to do it before opening the daw), A small waveform display in the browser would've been handy as well. :sad: