SNPIDer - handle SNPIDs on Mac !

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by Fred Bloggs, May 4, 2020.

1. Fred Bloggs

Fred Bloggs Platinum Record

errrrrrr… nope ! You're describing exactly what it does ! The ignore list, for me anyway, not only "makes sense", but is essential ! Without it, files like "NativeAccess.xml" would totally pollute the listing with various SNPID numbers, some of them 6 or 7 figures long even, that are of zero interest !

2. skouro

skouro Member

Thanks for your efforts!

3. jazzzz

jazzzz Platinum Record

Ok. Put NativeAccess.xml to be ignored, as it's something that's easy to predict but don't create a predefined ignore list with uncertain number of files, it will never be complete.
    But if you program it to list (to detect) only the files that contain that line, except NativeAccess, it will run smooth without issue.

4. Fred Bloggs

Sorry, but do you actually think about what you're saying when, or preferably before, you post ?
    • Firstly, I'd like you to re-read what I said above !
    • Secondly, preferences are exactly what they suggest, they hand certain choicer over to the user. It is now up to the users (and this does include you apparently!), to decide what they want to exclude ! If you don't want to exclude anything, simply delete all the exclusions and the software will list everything. Good luck with that !! Your preferences are saved, so you won't be troubled having to delete the exceptions next time you launch the software. If, however, you delete the preferences file in your user folder, the next time you launch the software, it will re-install the default list, so in that particular case, you would have to delete them again.This is a feature, not a bug !
    • Thirdly, why would including all the files make things run smoother. Will it solve corrupt files ? Certainly not ! On the other hand, adding corrupt files to the exclusion list certainly WOULD fix the problem, if you know the ones causing the issue.
    I created this software for myself. It does just what I need it to. OK, maybe not quite (see below!), but I think it's a pretty good start and is a big help to me anyway. I offered it willingly to the community, thinking it could help others. No-one is obliged to use it !
    If anyone has any real, viable suggestions that could improve this software usefully, I'm all ears, so if you're up for it, you know what you have to do.
    Fred

5. Fred Bloggs

You are very welcome.

6. Fred Bloggs

OK then. Here's an update already. I did this more quickly than I thought !

What's new ? Not a lot, but useful, however !

I have added a line in the listing, after the date header, listing any duplicate SNPID numbers found in the list, to save you searching for them.

I wasn't sure how useful this could really be, but having run it on my own 244 library folder, it revealed and named 4 duplicate SNPID numbers ! These were libraries that I was certain were installed but actually, two of them weren't.

So the update highlighted a problem that I was totally unaware of. I hope it can do something for some of you folks too.

Have fun. Make music.

https://workupload.com/file/3mKvFbT5jkt

7. zero frendo

zero frendo Member

Wow Thanks for this!!!

8. Fred Bloggs

You're welcome :)

9. kingchubby

kingchubby Rock Star

I appreciate this but it's not working on my MacBook Pro Mojave.

10. Fred Bloggs

Hi. I'm sorry to hear that ! The software (both SNPIDer 3.0 & 3.1) has been tested on El Capitan, Sierra, High Sierra, Mojave and Catalina and runs fine on all those systems. Did you check the debugging hints above ? The current favourite seems to be a corrupt file in your Service Center folder…

11. kingchubby

kingchubby Rock Star

Yeah I cleared my Service Center folder of any unneeded files.

12. Fred Bloggs

P.S.
    Capture d’écran 2020-05-07 à 02.33.33.png

13. kingchubby

kingchubby Rock Star

I even used batchmod and codesigned the file. :(

14. Fred Bloggs

batchmod and code signing isn't necessary, not even on Catalina !
    Unneeded could just be added to exceptions (full name and suffix), if you don't want to actually throw them out.
    Did you check for corrupt files ?

15. kingchubby

kingchubby Rock Star

16. Fred Bloggs

… aaaaaaannnnnnndddddd ????

17. kingchubby

kingchubby Rock Star

Nothing. It's OK. I tried.

18. iphobbes

iphobbes Ultrasonic

This is a fantastic , as some of us will say proudly that , Kontakt Library Browsing is an OCD addiction :) . and we love it . Honestly i tried some windows SNPID organizer but didin't work , i would also love a tool that can help organise the order of libraries , if i even touch one lib on 5.6.0 it makes the new kontakt lib sequence go totally mad. I'll write more once i test it on my main system , Thanks Fred

19. jazzzz

jazzzz Platinum Record

I'm sorry, too, that you clearly didn't understand what I was suggesting. You don't have to react this offending way.
    The problem begins with your definition "corrupted files", those are not corrupted by any means.
    Those files corrupt your script. That's why I suggested you to define the listing method, searching for only the files that has that specific line with SNPID.
    Not all of the .xml files in Service Center are for Kontakt libraries. Besides of Kontakt's own files, there are .xml files for other NI products there, or strangely even for others like Waves instruments. Some of these actually have the SNPID line, like the ones for Kontakt app, these files are predictible indeed and you can put them to your predefined ignore list, yes. But others – that can vary – don't have that line and that's why can cause your script fail.
    Now, your approach to ask the user to exclude the unwanted files requires for the user to know and recognize which are those .xml files, that's very far from being foolproof. And you can see here what happens then.
    I just tried to help.

20. jazzzz

jazzzz Platinum Record

That's complicated because it requires for the script to modify the .plist file for every libraries in Preferences folder whenever you want to modify the order, even if you just touch one library.
    It's one thing and absolutely harmless when a script just checks/lists files on your disk, and another thing is when you ask the script to modify your precious "system" files.