Snoop Dogg Reveals Exactly How Much Money He Made From 1B Spotify Streams

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Choosename, Mar 9, 2024.

1. djf

djf Guest

And yet, she negotiated a minimum $100,000,000.+ per year payoff and got right back on the bandwagon with them to this day. As far as I can tell, she was only off the platform for a few months back in like 2014? :dunno:

2. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Rock Star

idk, his whole energy is condescending. but electronic genres are leading music so...the people speak and theyre the ones that support

3. djf

djf Guest

What you speak of is known as a "work-for-hire" in the music industry. While it is common and always has been to hire session musicians and the like, there are also many other forms of rights deals and royalty payments that are more prominent and common which you're entirely disregarding so as to fit your bunk narrative.

Most independent solo artist/producers/labels work on % basis simply because they cannot afford to hire out singers, musicians, mixing and mastering studios, remixers etc. In electronic music especially, it is and always has been this way. Facts.

4. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

No Rusky, I did and do get paid. Lets see ..you don't. A pile of others here also get paid... and they're the real deal too...I am not the only one who bitched as you put it - if you can read English :rofl:

You're missing a whole lot about the deal to suit your own narrative, as the person you accused of insulting you who only gave their opinion said. It will be interesting to see what other professionals chime in with.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2024
  5. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Rock Star

oh wait i missed this my bad, no way im reading all of what seems like second hand experience but ill respond to one paragraph for now

this is missing the point of what i said, out of the people in the world, its always been that most dont make a living off of their music - this is going way back to the 1600's, when only aristocratic families could afford time with the arts or schooling - doesnt mean there werent talented people

every decade theres tons of a music artist, who dont make a living with the music they make, how you spun that into "spotify is ruining everything" idk. read this though

https://pitchfork.com/news/new-music-streaming-bill-aims-to-boost-streaming-royalties-for-artists/

6. djf

djf Guest

Again, you're regurgitating disinformation. Check the stats for yourself, if you can be bothered to do so..

7. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Rock Star

youre not even in the music industry lol; what i said is whats standard, so buckle up if thats where you plan on going here in the states. the music alone isnt profitable enough. does that make sense to you? if someone was getting paid cents for a song, would you want that? or $200k? when Snoop is making $45,000 off of a billions streams, think

8. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

You lost any credibility in any argument when your opening line was that.
    Trying to tell everyone you're a professional after openly admitting you're an amateur.
    Slaves work for free. Professionals do not.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  9. djf

djf Guest

For the record, I am (by definition) a professional, uni schooled, lifelong multi instrument musician and electronic music artist. I am not famous, nor rich, constantly still learning my craft (especially the tech side of production), still grinding away in the trenches honing my chops and trying to scratch out a poverty level income to support myself, a constant ongoing struggle, I am experienced with releasing music on both indie and major labels, but far far away from being a been there done that know it all seasoned veteran. I am here calling bullshit on things I know to be bullshit from both firsthand and second hand experience as well as statistical fact. :winker:

10. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Rock Star

well im speaking from a perspective of an artist who is famous for his music, was on an indie label but now is independent, owns the rights too his music; played tracks on a grammy winning record, produced for major and indie artists, and has toured the world twice. i speak from personal experience and my perspective

you dont have to share it, doesnt make it invalid or you correct because youve read articles and heard from someone with first hand experience, like me and believe them more because you know them

11. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Rock Star

okay youre trolling lol, i made music free for years because i loved making it; i put it out, didnt make any money because it didnt connect with enough people for years. its simple really

12. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

BUT you did not say that until now. Instead you stood on a podium pontificating in sanctimonious rhetoric, refusing to acknowledge anyone else's opinion as having any validity, if they did not agree with you.

I am not trolling, I have zero tolerance for ignorance pretending to be fact, like any professional who spent a long time honing their craft. You've told every professional on this site who has been doing it for a long time, just how much you do not know.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. djf

djf Guest

Oh for sue I am not privy to her backroom dealings with Daniel Ek. None of us are. Honestly, I don't follow her career, I only know what I have read from various widely considered somewhat legit sources. Not an expert by any means, but also not entirely uninformed and in no way trying to fit any narrative at all, more so in a nutshell type of reply comment with the all important addition of the :dunno: emoji

14. djf

djf Guest

OK guys/gals, I think I did my part and had enough for one day. Time to actually get some REAL WORK done today so I can maybe eat tomorrow and hopefully make another song the next lol..

15. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

All anyone needs to be able to do is read and follow the story as it develops. . I do not have any backdoors into Spotify, nor would I want one. The Internet doesn't keep much hidden. Anyone can change a diatribe to fit their own narrative and take something out of context.

16. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Rock Star

okay dude, thats how you feel; you can feel that way - i was just speaking my perspective, which i thought what youre confused about would be obvious to understand, i express myself well with music, im not a politician with perfect wording. you also dont have to agree with it, i actually couldnt care less what anyone thinks. thats how i feel about streaming and what ive experienced in the industry on many levels as an artist, not an engineer or whatever you do

theres more than enough money to support yourself in touring, you dont have to have a house on the hills; you dont have to make a bunch of money from streaming - its a performing art and theres worst things happening in the world and other industries, then Snoop making $45,000 off of a billion streams. people dont even own the music theyre streaming; its not a record, they pay none or $10 dollars and it is a blessing to me to be able to make a living with my music now in my life. because i did it for free because i loved it; wouldve kept doing too if it didnt take off. its not about money to me, thats not why i make music

if that angers you, thats your shit - i know plenty in the industry who agree with me and im okay regardless

Last edited: Mar 9, 2024
  17. stopped

stopped Producer

shilling for venture capitalists is a bad look

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  18. robie

robie Kapellmeister

Snoop's frustration is justified. Spotify and other streaming entities are a huge ripoff of artists. All along there's really only been one answer to this problem, and unfortunately musicians have failed to either see it or seize upon it. That answer is unionizing.

From the beginnings of streaming, had musicians banded together, refusing placement of their work on Spotify and similar platforms unless certain pay standards were met, it would now be a very different world for musicians. It can still be done, but would require great resolve, and hardship, for a lengthy period of time. But, in my view, it would be worth it. Many musicians would answer this by saying, 'but I can't afford to just stop, it's all I have coming in'. But the truth is for you, and the musicians who come after you in the years ahead, you can't afford not to do it. Corporations are more than happy to destroy your livelihood and prospects, they don't care about that for one single second.

The Screen Actors Guild recently went on a very lengthy strike, insisting their needs be met. The hardship experienced by many was significant, but they believed in what they were doing and stuck to it regardless of the hard times. In the end, their needs were met because they stayed strong. If musicians ever want to see a change in this blatant theft of their hard work, this is what would be necessary. A union specifically covering streaming artists. Without that, those receiving paltry payment for their work, will see that continue, and in all likelihood, will see it get even worse. The more you show these corporations they can get away with this, the more they want to take from you.

Unionizing is really the only answer for this problem.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. vladimir guerrero

vladimir guerrero Kapellmeister

I apologize to you, BassDude, for being sorta snarky or mean, or or at least snippy and admittedly a bit defensive back there. You have a lot of good things to say, including things in this thread. I meant my comment to come off a bit more playful but ehh...

Anyway.. not a great situation we have no matter how you slice it. Seems pretty dire actually. Form good relationships with your humans and your machines and always tell them please and thank you. The machines love that kind of thing more than we might imagine so treat them kindly like you would maybe a pet fish or a tomagachi or a humanoid body, and i think youll be ok, perhaps even musically future-proofed for up to 5 years. Is anyone else using ChatGPT as their primary DAW?

20. triggerflipper

triggerflipper Audiosexual

Tell me ONE THING that has OBJECTIVE VALUE.

Money isn't real. Value isn't real.
    They're made up concepts, like Santa Claus, or HWH (Happiness Without Heroin).