Snails Bass Design

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by deeceethree, Oct 10, 2014.

1. deeceethree

deeceethree Newbie

Hey guys does anyone know the mystery behind how to make the snails bass like :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuR4nBdPWts#t=67

It's definitely two basses, and i get how to do the sub portion, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how he compressed any kind of sound to the point where it sounds like this. Especially when it goes full stereo at like 1:36. If anybody knows or has some suggestions about a good starting point I'm all ears.

3. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

The sub is basically a sine, maybe slightly saturated (easy to overdo) to get some more coverage in the second and/or third harmonics. Simple FM also works, to get some grit.

Then the top one is filtered (formant, bandpass, etc, probably not just in serial but also in parallel) saw or similarly overtone-rich waveform. Most likely stacked and spread out (or added stereo chorus).

It's not rocket surgery once you understand waveform characteristics, filters, overdrive/saturation, etc. Then you have easier time dialing in the basics.

4. MrWux

MrWux Newbie

really interesting bass... i experimented in massive,and i think i found rally good starting point for something like this

5. BumBcL0t

BumBcL0t Producer

I would use something like Serum or Massive for this. Add some movement to the wavetable through LFO/Env. Sounds like it's using one of the warp modes also (Bend+/-) and the Vowel filters in Serum could help here too. The rest I think is in the a melody, lots of pitch bend going on here.