Smurf Vocals/ Monster Voices

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by Bassochist030, May 22, 2016.

1. Bassochist030

Bassochist030 Newbie

Hi,

i´m new here, so let me say Hello to you :crazy:

Perhaps you can help me by finding an solution to realize higher pitched vocals like the smurfs.
    I´ve tried the pitch shifter from logic, but it sounds not like that i want.
    here is an example of what i mean:

-https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0026V661I?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0

and here an lower example:

they all sounds clearer, better, fresher than this what i´ve done with the pitch shifter.

thanks !

Basso

3. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Just pitch it and/or formant it, and then EQ it (cut and/or attenuate the lows, boost 1kHz nasality, 6kHz for presence, 10kHz for "air", etc) after the pitching/formanting.
    Limit and compress to taste. Add some slap-back delay as in the original, if needed.

The video/track above was released in 1988. Imagine how advance (or not so advanced) the pitch shifting algorithms were back then, compared to what they are now.
    Just keep working at it and you'll find your own "special sauce ingrediences" which works the best for you.

Last edited: May 22, 2016
  4. jeffglobal

jeffglobal Producer

Circa 1988, they probably were using the "Talk box" which had the awesome tube of air you put in your mouth...

You can try anything from Melodyne to iZotope's new VocalSynth, to Kontakt's stuff under the hood, "ToneMachine."

To regular programs that specifically change voice better than a stupid iOS or Google App, like MorphVox,

I know about this stuff cause I have these Machinima FUCs (Feline Urban Commandos) and I was looking for how to make their voices a while ago...

Nowadays, probably the VocalSynth is your best bet, because it has the most variety. I like the kontakt tonemachine more but that's just me. I like consonant sounds.

Last edited: May 23, 2016
  5. nastybobby

nastybobby Kapellmeister

I don't hear a 'Talkbox' in either of those examples and I expect most people [me included] were time stretching vocals in hardware samplers [like the s1000] in 1988.

6. jeffglobal

jeffglobal Producer

In 1988 my wife was 8 years old, though I was 24 (no I didn't yet meet her). I was a moron those days. Remember it takes until 26 for your prefrontal cortex to mature to adulthood.

I just saw a tut about the history of vocoders or something and I thought I heard stuff like when the guy had that tube in his mouth. Not in the beginning, but further along in the example song (The Alliance).

If you were time stretching samples in hardware, did you get the lower pitch when slowed and higher pitch when speed up without being able to correct pitch effects in those days, or today, if you're a ding a ling and choose the wrong setting in Kontakt's underbelly?

7. DarthFader

DarthFader Audiosexual

I once met a guy named Claude Woodward a.k.a. The Sonic Manipulator. Musician, inventor, performer and a really great bloke.

I'm sorry I don't remember which unit he used for pitch changing his vocals on-the-fly. You get the general idea if you catch one or more of his videos.
    http://www.sonicmanipulator.com/Videos.htm
    Tons more on YouTube.

Might be worth trying to track him down and picking his brains.

Last edited: May 24, 2016