Smooth Filter for Low-pass/Dynamic Filtering to Prevent Muffling Artifacts?

Discussion in 'Software' started by MalcolmTucker, Jul 10, 2017.

1. MalcolmTucker

MalcolmTucker Noisemaker

Hello all,

A regular problem I have is when using a LP filter and modulating it open is I tend to get muffling artifacts, especially when the cut-off is low. At the moment I just use the LP filter that comes with Sugabytes Turnado but wondered if there is VST I should be aware of that helps with this problem, or if anyone has any techniques they would care to impart that would prevent the unwanted muffling.

Thanks!

3. Backtired

Backtired Audiosexual

I usually automate the resonance as well to make it even smoother

4. mild pump milk

mild pump milk Russian Milk Drunkard

Don't understand so much. So you need transparent invisible non-resonance high-cut (aka low-pass) filter with modulating support? Or what?

5. Matt777

Matt777 Rock Star

I don't get exactly what might be your problem but I'll just guess you want a HQ filter. Look for Cytomic - The Drop. I think it is even included in Ableton from 9.5+ (if you use it look for different filter algorithms)

Edit: ...and yeah, just realized the stupidity of my answer, lol. There are tons of HQ filters - but had to check the dictionary for "muffle". Like SineWave wrote, it is exactly what LP should do ;)

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  6. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Hmmm, LP filter muffles the sound the lower the cutoff, that's it's purpose - to "pass lows"="cut highs". So I don't really understand what your issue is.

7. MalcolmTucker

MalcolmTucker Noisemaker

Perhaps I didn't choose my words correctly. What I mean is the it sounds muddy, as if it is clipping. Here's a clip (which I've exported to a lower bitrate to accentuate the problem I'm talking about). You'll notice that when the cut off is lower, the kick drum is muddy (muffled) but as it opens up it sounds cleaner and no longer muddy.

https://clyp.it/fwwai5bu

Hope you understand what I mean now. Thanks.

8. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

That sounds like it has a bitrate reducer attached to it! as in when the filter kicks in , it lowers the bitrate too.

9. Matt777

Matt777 Rock Star

Is there anything else in the effects chain, besides filter (ch and/or master)? how are the peaks and what filter are you using..?

10. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

That's overdrive distortion, you're pushing hot signal into the filter. Place an utility insert before the filter to reduce the signal before entering the filter with -6 to -12 dB, then put a new gain insert to bring back the signal (so +6 to +12 dB - exactly the amount you reduced) after the filter. If the problem persists, change the filter. For that simple sweep any DAW stock eq would do.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. Peter Krav

Peter Krav Producer

I had the same problem and in most cases my (Q settings) was wrong, but (there may be other problems as well) So check your Q how hard or soft it is reducing the frequencies! Usually Q settings on low filter start at 6 DB per octave.

12. MalcolmTucker

MalcolmTucker Noisemaker

Thanks guys