Smoke (not just a tune for smokers)

Discussion in 'Our Music' started by maedaluse, Mar 1, 2012.

1. maedaluse

maedaluse Newbie

Sorry for the attachment. I need to get a Soundcloud account.

This piece is unfinished, but I have a start on it. I would love to hear what any of you thinks as well! If it's not your kind of music, that's fine. No need to tell it. But any positive (or negative in a positive way) is thanked.

It's a little bit of a jam. Live guitar, bass, keyboard drums (Abbey Road Modern Drums, I think), NI Vintage Organs, and Reason Pianos.
    Needs a defined melody, and the obvious missing chorus and the rest, but this is the foundation of the sound/style I'm going for.
    Again, thanks.

Attached Files:

3. studio5599

studio5599 Producer

Sounds like every other Joe Shmoe starting a band ! Poop why would you even post that?

4. maedaluse

maedaluse Newbie

Thanks. I guess I'll quit music.

5. futureb

futureb Newbie

*no* Nice anti troll humour, haven't heard your tune yet but whatever it sounds like keep at it if you enjoy it.

6. Torture

Torture Newbie

Really sounds more like a jam session than anything else. You should get some kind of arrangement done first, or at least some defined melodic and rhythmic parts you want to build on.
    I got a shitload of similar sounding live recordings from band sessions I did. Sounds more like the jamming between the songs than an actual idea.
    You should try to filter an idea out of it and get at least one solid part done before looking for some more specific feedback I think! You can go with the part starting at 0:42min and make something out of it imo. If thats what you want your music to sound like do it!

7. Torture

Torture Newbie

Why the hell would`t he post it? Except getting a stupid comment like yours?
    Even if it doesn't sound right, or isn't finished, or sounds like everyone else...why shouldn't he look for feedback if he thinks it`s the right time?

If you don't want to give any feedback, or can't because its not enough to comment on just shut it imo!

Btw almost all modern music sounds a lot alike nowadays...it doesn't seem that this keeps anyone from throwing stuff out there every minute.

8. maedaluse

maedaluse Newbie

futureb: Thanks. I won't let stupid comments get to me.

Towa: Thanks man! It was really a jam, but I guess I wanted feedback on the progression in the beginning, the atmosphere from the mode, and the tips you gave. I just needed a push in the right direction. Thanks again!

9. nohero

nohero Guest

made_to_lose

Nice.....I like it :wink:

10. vaiman

vaiman Platinum Record

Hi
    I would personally build the piano part up at the start and not have the guitar come in at 0:07, leave it until 0:34 where you also start.
    The piano/bass and keys get lost under the guitar and its a shame because you have a nice progression going on.

Less is more blah blah. Add an instrument one at a time for atmosphere intros, and give each part time to breath.
    Don't add anything just for the sake of it. Think of it like a choir, if everyone just started singing from 5secs in then you would have nothing left to keep the listener interested for 4mins.

Each instrument should be making a statement even if its a small quiet one. If it has nothing to offer... mute it lol

Oh, and the melody is already there, starts at 0:36 ;) Just keep reverting to that lick and you have a hook.
    Good luck

11. maedaluse

maedaluse Newbie

Thanks hyem77! I agree with your comments, and I will try to work it out that way. I will work on this now that I have a better view (and support :) ) and post the song when it is complete. Thanks again!

12. thepopenale

thepopenale Noisemaker

@studio5599 I hate you already.

I was kinda getting into the demo. It's a little rough around the edges and the lead guitars tone is quite cheesy but there's a lot of positives in there too. I liked the piano part and drums.

Personally, I would make the lead guitar tone a lot rougher sounding and a bit more psychedelic (thinking of my Big Muff and the bonkers Digitech delay/pitch/chorus/flanger combo stompbox). Thats just me, if you're happy with it, thats great.

Ill be back to check out the finished product :wink:

13. maedaluse

maedaluse Newbie

I agree the guitar tone needs work. I'll try out Hendrix-y fuzz. Thanks Paus!