Smartphone with pro converters

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Von_Steyr, Jun 10, 2016.

?

Would you buy such a smartphone ?

1. Yes.

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No,im ok with regular computers.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Maybe.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Nah,im still rocking Cool Edit Pro.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

The way the technology is evolving i wouldnt be surprised if in 10 years we would get a phone that would enable you to do limited pro work on the go or even replace a computer for smaller work.
    Imagine plugging your phone just to a monitor,plugging your mic or guitar into a phone and enjoy pristine pro converters with low latency and full asio capabilities.

I also read about this project,mixerface;(not what i imagine but its getting closer and closer.)
    MixerFace: The Mobile Recording Interface for smartphones and tablets
    Professional, mobile solution for musicians and broadcasters, for recording audio quickly and easily, anywhere!
    [​IMG]

MixerFace features:

• Two custom, discrete, boutique microphone preamps, based on our new, low-noise dbp:re technology.
    • Each input features a Neutrik combo XLR jack with mic / line inputs and a wide-range gain control. Inputs can accommodate keyboards, guitar pedals, as well as and other XLR or 1/4" audio sources.
    • THIS JUST IN: Based on crowd suggestions, we are adding a limiter. Each channel will now features a defeatable limiter, allowing you to prevent clipping due to excessively loud sounds. The community spoke and we responded!
    • A Hi-Z input has been requested. If enough people want it, we will add it in.
    • Two LED level indicators per channel (green for signal present, red for peak)
    • 48V phantom power for professional condenser microphones.
    • 24-bit / 192kHz A/D and D/A converters. We use the same chips found in studio recording interfaces.
    • An innovative monitor mix with pan and dry/wet controls. Especially useful for stereo instruments and voice-over applications.
    • Loud headphone output with digital volume control.
    • Fully portable operation. Straps to the phone and serves as a cradle, forming one device to hold. Goes wherever your phone goes.
    • Works with old 30-pin iPhones/iPads and new lightning connector-based iPhones/iPads. You can also simply use the white charging cable that came with the iPhone. We are planning offer shorter cable options. Android devices also supported.
    MixerFace specs:

• Battery life: 7-8 hours of recording. Long stand-alone recording time.
    • Digital connectivity to smartphones, laptops and tablets. Audio travels in digital domain to the phone or tablet, for lowest noise and highest audio quality.
    • MixerFace replaces the consumer-level audio circuitry in the smartphone with its own professional, studio-grade converters for best sonic fidelity.
    • Compatibility: USB B jack for connectivity with laptops and Android devices, USB A jack for connectivity with iPhone, iPad.
    • Frequency response: 20Hz...40kHz
    • THD and noise: Less than 0.01%.
    • Lowest jitter due to asynchronous USB audio design.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/...rding-interface-for-smartphones-and-tablets#/

3. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

The bottom of the rabbit hole, next to Alice's
    A lot of current audio interfaces can be tethered to an iPad, so there's no real magic in this. It's not so future-like.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

This is not why i envision.You still need an audio interface,we are talking just one piece of equipment you could connect to a monitor or a tv,a smartphone with integrated pro AD/DA converters.low latency,asio support.

5. rickbarratt

rickbarratt Producer

or i could just get an apogee one.

better convertors then they'll ever put in a phone.

6. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

I´ll stay with my good old handheld Tascam that has great preamps and a lot of different configurations for different jobs!

Thanks for your head up anyway! :wink:

7. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

No thanks. In 10 years time I'm expecting to have my own Transporter Pad, ala Star Trek.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  8. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro Staff Member

So basically field recorder built on Android with specs to handle audio manipulation?
    Sure why not :wink:

But IMHO currently available solution with Android phone & USB interface provides more flexibility.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  9. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Yes,true,but sometimes this is still too much equipment to carry around.

10. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

The bottom of the rabbit hole, next to Alice's
    Best Answer
    Right now, we see Samsung phones that have exchageable camera lenses and what not. However, while the average Joe will drool over a powerful camera lens, audio converters are a kind of specialized need, meaning they wouldn't sell as many units as powerfully enabled camera phones. Imagine the cost of miniaturizing existing coverters or creating new ones for the purpose. On the other hand, MixerFace offers what 16-channel mixers, handheld recorders, audio interfaces, and USB mics are already offering: A way to interface with an iPad or iPhone, just instead of using wifi or USB cables, they attach to the phone. It still looks bulky. Unfortunately, Apple nailed it with their closed-system architecture: They provide a stable platform for the development of accesories and third-party hardware. Latency is well managed and connectiviry and performance is consistent every time. Android developers are so swamped with variables and differences in make and tolerances that it is almost impossible for them to develop profitable business on the platform.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
  11. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Yep.
    Man,i just saw my quote as your signature,haha,you sir are a legend! :hifive: