Small studio monitors with good low end frequencies

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by bresilla, Nov 19, 2014.

1. bresilla

bresilla Newbie

[HELP]

Hey guys,
    I need help, i thought somebody here knows what i was searching for over a month on the internet now.

I need some studio monitors/speakers that are considerably small (smaller than 5 inch woofer standard monitors)
    but which produce enough low end sound down to 35-40Hz (for electro house / techno music production).

I am travelling for for studies abroad, so i can not carry on my Yamaha HS8 with me.

I am grateful if someone knows and points me in the direction where i can find what i am asking for.

Thanks in advance.
    Cheers.

3. sideshowbob

sideshowbob Producer

I would be surprised if someone knows good 5 inchs down to 40Hz. Even smaller? :dunno:

Edit: IK Multimedia iLoud are advertised 50Hz to 20Khz

[​IMG]

4. BumBcL0t

BumBcL0t Producer

You will have a hard time finding a 5 inch woofer that can go down to 35hz and reproduce it accurately... Since you're already using Yamaha monitors I was going to suggest the HS5s or used HS50ms (can be had for a good price on ebay) and pair them with a decent set of headphones with the cash you saved. Some suggestions anyways:

http://www.focal.com/en/alpha/493-alpha-50-3544054710029.html

I've been wanting to try these focals for a while, the Alpha line came out this year. (45hz-22khz)

http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/recording-broadcast/3-series/lsr305

Also lots of people like the JBL LSR series. (43hz-24khz)

5. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

Physics: Small cabinets and small diameter transducers have a difficult time reproducing these frequencies. A good sub-woofer will solve a lot of those issues. Even mid-field monitors won't quite reach down there in a way that is very accurate. Sucks up the power reserve in class D amplification in a hurry, also.

6. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

The bottom of the rabbit hole, next to Alice's
    I have a pair of Yamaha HS50s and it is impossible to be carrying them around. Not only are they heavy, but also hard to hold on the move. If budget allows, I'd suggest you look into Genelec 8020, which go down up to 66hz with unbelievable clarity and bass definition. I have them and before buying them I compared them to Adams A3, of comparable size and they were nothing to call home. The Genes blew them away, to my ears at least. At this small size I think the point is not how low down the frequency chart you can go, but rather it is a matter of reaching the lowest range with definition. Give them a test. Plus, their shape and size makes them as portable as they can get (They are still heavier than they look). You can also check the 8010, which are even smaller, but some reviews say that the sound is not as much as that of genelec fame.

As for me, as soon as I got the genes, I put my yammies for sale.

Good luck on your quest.

7. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

I am having KRK Rokit 5 and I produce Hip-Hop beats and I am always having a hard time getting the bass right. I think you need at least 8 inch speakers for a solid bass. It's just in the phsysical nature of things.

8. audioplg

audioplg Ultrasonic

how about this approach instead?
    a pair of focal Spirit Professional headphones there some of the flattest response headphones on the market there rivaled buy the likes of audeze but there exponentially more expensive.

then add to them a subpac for your low end. http://thesubpac.com/

9. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Technically, to reproduce low end with small speakers, you need more power.
    I had very small JBL speakers, but they where 130 RMS watts and I only had good low end when listening from 60watts or more.
    This is a physical limit, so even if you see 40hz in the specs of small speakers, they're may not be lying but you'll need a lot of power to get this frequency well reproduced, and this may not be the right solution for you.

For transport, a very good headphone can do a good job.

About the Subpack, it's a very surprising and interesting solution, it deserve a post apart.

10. gorri

gorri Ultrasonic

I would agree with M3RCURYsoto re Genelec, small and portable combined with excellent sound quality. Still, you can´t expect "true" low end on any such small speakers. Genelecs are also very solid built and will survive travelling.

K-))

11. gorri

gorri Ultrasonic

eventually you can buy the Genelec 5040B sub in addition..

K-))

12. grdh20

grdh20 Platinum Record

http://www.definitivetech.com/products/studiomonitor-65

13. n12n0

n12n0 Kapellmeister

this ! (8 3/4) inch or sub

all other = internet & manufactor myths..

14. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

This article doesn't deal with small near-field monitors much. More for sound reinforcement, but it goes into bass reproduction theory in detail, and discusses common misconceptions. There is some information here I found useful. http://www.dynacord.com/downloads/dsp244_info_bass_en.pdf

15. Pm5

Pm5 Ultrasonic

"I need some studio monitors/speakers that are considerably small (smaller than 5 inch woofer standard monitors)
    but which produce enough low end sound down to 35-40Hz"

I need a flying pony. And it should speak a fluent english.

There's no such thing as <5" woofers goin' flat and reliably below 45Hz. End of the story.

You can get a home cinema / video game crap system, which will sound like shit, which will be cheap and small, it'll go to 40Hz and below.

Anyway, if you'll be in student bedroom or whatever : the room won't be large enough to translate a good 8" response.

My 2 cents : get some good small monitors that won't go to nightclub PA subs, get some good headphones, get friendly with some studio/club/music school engineers to let you use a good system once in a while. Or rent some mixing studio time.

16. bresilla

bresilla Newbie

Actually, i am considering this + my pioneer hdj 1500.

This speaker has quiet good reviews.

17. bresilla

bresilla Newbie

Yes, you are right as is everybody else. This can not be possible physically, because of the sub needs bigger space to move the air to produce the sound.
    The reason i asked is because i was dreaming that maybe there is something that i can do that :dunno: .
    Thanks a lot for your time and effort to replay to my question. :wink:

18. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

And one more thing that will help. If using passive monitor speakers, or any passive speaker, with an external power amp, use Monster™ or some other fat, soft, copper speaker cable. The fattest cable you can solder to your connectors. You will hear the difference. It is astounding. It is worth the extra money. I promise.