Slow preset changing?

Discussion in 'BitWig' started by iluvhiphop, Oct 26, 2022.

1. iluvhiphop

iluvhiphop Guest

Hi.

Trying out Bitwig thanks to the generosity of certain people. I am baffled how slow everything is. I have a really beefy windows desktop as well as a Macbook M1.

Changing a preset in any built in synthesizer takes like 5+ seconds. It's very annoying and makes all built in effects and instruments totally unusable. Also, the frame rate of the whole application seems very slow. The playhead is visibly lagging a lot.

Is this just me? And is there something I can do about this? Seems like a solid DAW, but this is so irritating imo.

3. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

I haven't used Bitwig since the early days of it's release, but that was one of the reasons I never liked it. I have to say though I am very surprised to know people are still having that issue!

4. iluvhiphop

iluvhiphop Guest

Did you also have it with external vsts? Because that's the funny thing. Changing a preset in any U-he synth or effect, Arturia or pretty much any other third party vst, it changes in an instant just like in Reaper or any other DAW. It's boggles my mind how built in instruments and effects can be so much worse performing.

5. clone

clone Audiosexual

I started watching a "new user overview" video on Bitwig 4, after the little Add-On fiasco recently. I watched about 10 minutes before deciding to not install it. I would still use Logic, even if it came with 0 Stock Effects and Synths. (even though they are mostly very good anyway).

But I also find it hard to believe their own Stock instruments/effects have this issue with their own presets. How would they not know and let it "out the door"? I think you probably have some incorrect little setting. I just can't think of one that should actually cause this.

The Stock Instruments and Effects are often what a new user will experience in a DAW first. You'd think these working correctly would be very important to them.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2022
  6. Sylenth.Will.Fall

It was a long time ago, (Version 2 if memory serves me correctly) but I don't think I ever got around to trying it with 3rd party plug-ins. I uninstalled it after just a couple of hours.I found it painfully slow compared to Ableton. The only thing I remember liking more was the sound quality felt richer when previewing audio.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  7. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

It "felt" richer?
    Heheh That seems an attempt to avoid using the phrase "sounded richer", aware of the shitstorm that would ensure regarding how DAWs sound "different" ...or DON'T.

8. Sylenth.Will.Fall

You and I both know that is a Pandoras Box, best left unopened. :P

I can safely use the word 'perceived' to be richer though

9. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

I tend to avoid the built-in VSTs in DAWs, a habit i developed because I can not spare my limited brain-power learning things i might abandon. So I try to use VST that will work with most DAWs.

After a long-term affair with FL Studio i decided I wanted to settle down and needed to find "the one".
    I tried to like Bitwig ... and it is not so bad, but it really seems lacking in many ways.
    I wanted to love Studio One, and i thought i was beginning to but alas it was not to be..
    I saw Reaper there again ... kind of unattractive and lonely ... but I began to get to know her ...
    and now she's stolen my heart.
    If one can create a decent patch on Sylenth or Serum, one ought to be able to set up Reaper to be awesome.
    Even I was able to set Reaper up so that it crushes everything else I've tried for convenience and it's getting close for looks now, too. (Am I doing a sales pitch? Yep..I just bought it.)

I will still use Bitwig simply for its ability to covert FL Studio stuff to "real midi".
    I intended to learn it more, but was frustrated by several things I can't recall.
    I have a few ideas to convert but likely won't use it for more than that.

10. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Funny you should say that about Reaper. I remember a while back seeing skins for Reaper that made it look like Pro Tools or other DAW's. Want me to see if I can still find them?

11. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

Oh, thanks, but I have those (and it's so cool to be able to scroll through the themes while running it, too ...)
    I have yet to integrate all I that I like into my modified setup though..
    Once I got the layout and basic colors looking pretty good, I kind of forgot about going much deeper for the moment.
    There are quite a few things i think they should have implemented by default for operation and looks just to sell it better.
    ......Funny ... I am not seeing a Bitwig theme for it .... :rofl:
    Oh ..my bad ... it is called "Beatwing" :yes:

12. Sylenth.Will.Fall

I both liked that AND laughed, so wasn't sure which to give ya..