Slow graphics on new Imac [Cubase 8.5]

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by eK3000, Aug 25, 2017.

1. eK3000

eK3000 Newbie

Hi,

I recently bought a new Imac and installed my Cubase 8.5.3.

I noticed after installing few plugins on it (all legal) that the events\clips take time to respond when i move them across the timeline, as you can see in the video:

After the event 'sticks' to the mouse curser it move normally, but when i release it and grab it again to move it, it take almost a second to 'stick' to the cursor ones again.

I noticed all the graphics are relatively slow.

What should I do? I'm completely new to mac so be specific

Thanks

3. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

exact imac specs?

4. eK3000

eK3000 Newbie

Mac OS Sierra

Version 10.12.5

Processor 4.2 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory 16 GB 2400 MHz DDR4

Graphics Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB

5. saltwater

saltwater Guest

is this a 5k ?
    unfortunately cubase has some issues with graphic performance on high res macs for some time now
    i suggest you to read the different threads in the Steinberg forums.
    there are some workarounds, like reducing the resolution.

logic runs buttery smooth, you could give that a shot since its pretty similar to cubase.

6. Vaijj

Vaijj Platinum Record

Not a Mac user but yes Cubase have some issues with graphics on some machines. I work with it in some studios but there are fixes for it. C9 have new issues but the some old one are gone. In your case i cant really say what causing it other than what saltwater say read up on cubase forum. Stick to your cubase and work out the solution for your Mac.. i still havnt been in a studio or a friend that hasnt been able to work it out.

7. dazz

dazz Ultrasonic

i can see a bunch of stuff running at the top of the screen so whats running in the background ....

8. eK3000

eK3000 Newbie

nothing to heavy, the problem keeps happening even when all apps are disabled. Moreover, this is a very powerful computer that shouldn't be disturbed by a few apps running in the background.

saltwater - maybe your right! How would you suggest I reduce the resolution? how much? as I said before I am a total mac newbie.

9. eK3000

eK3000 Newbie

OK I just noticed that when I move the editor window to a secondary screen that is connected to the imac, it works fine. it must have something to do with the high definition display of the imac. what should I do?

10. saltwater

saltwater Guest

as a first step you could try to run it in low resolution mode:
    1. Quit cubase if it's open.
    2. In the Finder, choose Applications from the Go menu.
    3. In the Applications folder that opens, click the app's icon so it's highlighted.
    4. Choose Get Info from the File menu. (CMD+i)
    5. Place a checkmark next to "Open in Low Resolution"
    this should lower the res to 2,5 k and hopefully improve your experience.

Apple made some major changes with sierra in the way graphics are processed, and even more with high sierra.
    protools and cubase users reported this kinda issues
    stuff running in the background is definitely not causing this, macs generally are not vulnerable to this anyway.

this is a very capable machine, plenty of power and speed in all regards.its not a performance problem.

you could try Cubase 9, should run a lot better, they fixed a lot, they are on this issue for a while now, and its not easy to solve, but they done
    a lot already and there are various ways to improve or even fix it.

may give this thread a shot:

https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=250&t=108500&sid=7fdbe64513d816af360063cde3402356

btw are you using the magic trackpad/magic mouse or something else?

11. eK3000

eK3000 Newbie

Hi,
    Thank you for the reply, I appreciate it. I tried to lower the resolution like you said and it help a bit. now I tried also to download the trial version of Cubase 9 and it works better. Still some issues with the GUI though, but at least i can work on it.
    Thanks

12. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Latest update 9.0.30 addressed certain graphical issues, might want to try it.