Slate's Virtual Microphone System -New!

Discussion in 'Software News' started by mercurysoto, Jan 21, 2014.

1. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

The bottom of the rabbit hole, next to Alice's
    I haven't seen anyone noticing it yet, so here it comes:

[​IMG]

http://www.slatedigital.com/vmspreview/

It seems like Steven Slate does it again. This time the focus is at the front of the recording chain, not at the stereo bus. It appears advertised to be demonstrated at NAMM.

It sounds quite promising. What do you think?

3. SillySausage

SillySausage Producer

I really need to win the lottery :sad:

4. digrev

digrev Noisemaker

didnt antares have sumthin like this?

5. Rico88

Rico88 Newbie

It looks pretty cool but at a projected price of $2000 USD you could probably consider purchasing a couple of very decent mics and not worry about whether or not this actually works. I'll change my mind though if/when you show me that you were able to make an SM 57 sound just like a U 87 with this Slate rig. Yeh, that could be worth it! Until then I'll stick with that little MathAudio mic modeler thingy from a year or so back, or else the Antares soft that DigiTal_Aero mentioned.

6. studio5599

studio5599 Producer

seen it heard it and dontt believe it, if only it was that easy to have a locker full of mics Keep dreaming Slate
    one Day though you will Discover some thing big You Spoiled Brat

7. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

@studio5599, Have you been to NAMM? Did you hear the A/Bs in person? Can you expand on the experience? Very much appreciated.

8. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

Dumb me. NAMM starts tomorrow. Anyhow, how have you "seen it?" I know it's off limits at 2 grand, but anyway it looks interesting. It's not just like saying, "it's just another preamp plugin." In my view, the FG-X is not just another two-bus limiter. The rigged demo from Audioz does it job well albeit its limitations. I can afford it when the 64 bit version comes out, but this mic modeler thing is too much dough for a plugin. It must be something.

9. studio5599

studio5599 Producer

not in person the video I was refuring to, just seems a lot like Antares stuff, after you go to Namm report back will ya?
    Jeeze the Namm wish I was rich :rofl:

10. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

I am from Peru. I wish I could go to NAMM. Anyway, we'll find lots of buzz once the curtain is lifted. If anyone is going, please give the heads up on this.

Peace.

11. coolout

coolout Newbie

There's an epic thread on Gearslutz about this where Steven Slate jumps on and challenges everyone to a blind A/B test with some $4-5000 Neumann mic.

He then actually goes back and tweaks the algorithm so that the virtual mic is so close, you really can't tell which is which.

My only trepidation is that this system is ultimately tied to a software plug-in, which could either be great (for quicker updates and flexiblity) or a disaster (ilok woes, cpu overhead, host or setup issues, mobility).

12. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

From what I understand, the VMS is a mix of hardware and software. It comprises two mics, a pre-amp, and the plug-in. It makes total sense as it looks to be the only way to pull off such an endeavor. It also somehow justifies the outrageous price for "just a plug."

http://www.soundonsound.com/news?NewsID=16860

13. coolout

coolout Newbie

I think the price is worth it, but they probably could have built the modelling into the pre-amp like the old focusrite liquid mix.