Slate VMR under Win XP

Discussion in 'Software' started by Nanuhi, Dec 3, 2014.

1. Nanuhi

Nanuhi Newbie

Hi everybody,

May be someone has an experience to run new software under Win XP?

I use most of Slate Digital plugins under XP SP3, but their new VMR refuses to start. May be some additional library or whatever else? Official answer from Slate is "VMR will not work under XP".

I would be glad to any advice except for upgrading to W7. :)

3. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro

I'd try installing Net Framework 3.5 SP1, VC 2012 x86 redistributable and all non-security OS updates.

But on some SW the limited functionality is deliberate, like with NI Kontakt
    Izotope RX4 works under WXP :wink:

4. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

I doubt it's possible to run vmr under x86. They recommend 8 gb ram so I assume it's programmed for x64.
    Time to update!

5. Nanuhi

Nanuhi Newbie

It should run on x86 either, but this is not a question.

6. Nanuhi

Nanuhi Newbie

Thank you Andrew. I had thought about it. But it would be better to know to what programmers applied to while developing their code... Other way it is almost impossible to catch the ball.

7. dipje

dipje Ultrasonic

There are only two 'dot net frameworks', namely the 1.x branch and everything later than that. Nobody uses 1.x anymore, so if you install the latest dot net framework (4.x by now I guess?) you should be good on the .NET part.
    VC redists are another story, and you are always safe installing 2010, 2012 and 2013.

That being said, the latest developer tools don't support making WinXP builds anymore. The developer has to jump through a few hoops to make their code compile and work for WinXP. If they don't do that - like I'm afraid is the case with VMR for example - you can forget it and it's never going to work on XP.

Bit more technical: Visual Studio 2012 and higher generate - by default - a new version of DLL and / or EXE file (version 6.x) which Windows XP simply does not recognize as a valid application or DLL file. The developer has to change their settings to generate a version 5.01 DLL / EXE file (Windows XP x86) or a 5.02 DLL / EXE file (Windows XP x64 / Windows 2003). Along with that they have to make clear they want XP-support and thus use an earlier version of the developer-tools ('Windows SDK') since Windows XP isn't support in the later versions anymore. If a developer wants to make use of features that are in the later versions of the developer-tools (Vista / 7 / 8 specific features) they have little choice but to drop WinXP support (or generate two versions of their software).
    If they _don't_ use Vista / 7 / 8 specific features, there's no reason for them to NOT to target Windows XP.. but they still have to do it, otherwise you end up with 'this is not a valid application' messages or DLLs just not being picked up :S.

8. studio5599

studio5599 Producer

Really gotta let that XP Pre-Age OS Go, or install the latest visual studio 2014 pack, has all the .dll and framework packs, thats used to Develop all the New Software also few registry breaks
    You can make almost any software run under XP, if your not that literate though , then its definitely time to upgrade your OS

if your stuck on xp cause systems to old to upgrade to newer os if thats the case then your minimum specs on your pc won't work regardless or be lagging slow as hell..

9. Nanuhi

Nanuhi Newbie

Thank you dipje for detailed info.
    The error message is "virtual mix rack could not be loaded. could not find imported function in specified DDL". Does this mean that this is really developed for Vista/7/8? Or it is just usual windows "get out" answer? ... Pity...

Anyway, after your explanation I think I should forget about VMR. I am already looking to Acustica Audio Amper EQ. I listened to their demo samples and it seems really not a bad EQ. Even their RedEQ makes its job, but not as functional.

10. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro

That error seems to have it's roots in dynamic libraries, perhaps VC libs would really solve it.

11. räuber_hotzenplotz

räuber_hotzenplotz Newbie

Hi,

what processor do you have? VMR is not compatible with older processors like AMD phenom II (which i still have).
    They released a fix for that now its working fine here (but on win7)

so... MAYBE try the fix but i guess you won't get support for your os.
    but i could imagine that this will help you, i used all slate plugins on win xp - though this processor problem affected VBC and VTM ,too, but i have older legacy installers so they are working too.

12. räuber_hotzenplotz

räuber_hotzenplotz Newbie

working under 32 bit OS, of course 8GB RAM are better but VMR runs really smooth on x86

13. Nanuhi

Nanuhi Newbie

Thank you guys.

I will try to install .NET v.4.5 and visual c++ redistributable packages for visual studio 2013 (I can not find 2014 package... if it is really exist?)

Correct?

ps. Tested it. Does not work. I think I am loosing time. To buy Amber is more time and nerves saver. :)

Thanks to everybody! :mates:

14. Nanuhi

Nanuhi Newbie

I know about this bag. I have i7 CPU.

Slate Digital support says, the only older versions of VTM and VBC work under XP. Their new releases do not compatible with XP.