Slate VBC FG-MU

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by Von_Steyr, May 24, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Slate Virtual Bus Compressor.
    Everyone knows the Slate bus compressor bundle. You get three bus compressors; FG-Grey Fg- Red and FG-MU.
    [​IMG]

I will focus only on the FG-MU here. This compressor is based on Fairchild 670. It uses vacuum tubes for reduction of gain. Never owned one, maybe someone who owns one or worked with it can chyme in.

A little bit of history from Sound on Sound.
    The Fairchild was designed at a time when stereophonic recording techniques and the stereo vinyl record were becoming established. Virtually twice the amount of information as on a mono LP needed to be stored on the same size surface for a stereo record. To maintain parameters like programme length and level, dynamic shaping of the audio material was essential. The Mid-Sides (M-S) process helped to save lacquer real estate during the cutting process, and (an equally important benefit at the time) it retained mono compatibility. It was for this very reason the two-channel Fairchild 670 was designed for use either as a dual-mono unit (with unlinked stereo channels) or in M-S mode. (The mono 660 version and the dual-channel 670 were released almost at the same time.

I have tested a whole lot of algo compressors but none have that much mojo and glue going on.
    Why some people dont like it? Because it boosts your mids quite a bit but you can always work with it if you know how it will behave.
    It has a "gentle" bump in the 2khz region, can be quite noticeable or even undesirable sometimes, but hey, it is what it is.
    [​IMG]

But it behaves like a lil beast this one. Taming the transients and the bass, it can glue like no other compressor in the algo domain. Your material will sound dynamic, warm, controlled and sparkly.
    You will definitely hear that warm low end heard on many famous records.
    Takes a bit time to get to get to know it but once you do it will be surprised at how easy it is to obtain "that" sound.

AA users, how does it compare to Ultramarine 3? Quite honestly never tested it myself, i know i should....

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2017
    • Like Like x 6
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Should have added that the Slate version is based on Fairchild + Manley VariMU , important info.

4. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

...also because if you pass a sine (and after this little test, it will be the same with audio program) through this comp you'll see a plethora of high harmonics popping out (even more harmonics than Oxford Inflator pumps). Sometimes, getting a sound thicker is something desired but sometimes is not.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. playtime

playtime Rock Star

I own both Fairchild and Manley Vari-Mu from UAD. If Slate made it half as good as UAD, I'd be happy to test it.
    Because they.are.awesome.:guru:

6. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Well just test it and report back.

7. playtime

playtime Rock Star

I will try to do a quick comparison tomorrow.

8. Jaymz

Jaymz Audiosexual

I like this comp man i use it from time to time wen i need to tuck in some heavy bass in a hurry without using an eq>>> its a great comp for that purpose \m/ it does add some shine to the signal tho

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. RedThresh

RedThresh Producer

Same here I pretty much always use FG MU on bass or low material, and FG-X at mastering stage, I like those comps.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

Is there such a thing as too much character? LoL I think he would disagree. 005-humphrey-bogart-theredlist.jpg

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  11. Marsupilami

Marsupilami Guest

A fixed VBC part in my master section, no compression, just on.
    Little hint: there is a mix knob to define the suitable amount of brightness ...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  12. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual

I was using the Waves version (or is that a 660) in my vocal chain for awhile because it does add those harmonics. Recently switched in favor of a different comp. Never really thought to try the slate. Have to give 'er a spin.

13. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

I actually have a couple plugs that are "just on" in my mastering chain like the TE 100 and d316a. Not this though, Ill try/swap it out with the TE (tube and transformer emu). Dial in the mix and compensate for the boost with the post eq I have further down the chain. I use eq matching in the front of the chain, so the eqing is usually basic/smile

Until I can afford N4 or god willing "real" hardware....

14. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual

That TE 100 is sweet. Thanks, @Von_Steyr for turning me on to that!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  15. RedThresh

RedThresh Producer

I kinda do this with FG-X too sometimes... Pretty much no gain and 0.3 gain reduction... But this "Dynamic Perception" setting man... It's magic. It's dark magic.

16. mild pump milk

mild pump milk Russian Milk Drunkard

Off-topic a bit.
    Slates plugins VST3 in Reaper behave too bad, when input too quiet it starts to truncate. Don't know about other hosts, but VST3 in Reaper kills it. Try to replicate this, low input, then VST3 of Slate vmr (even without Fx in rack, just empty vmr) or vtm, then output compensate. Your tails become truncated. Don't know about virtual buss compressors, but imho behavior is similar for Slate VST3 in Reaper, because vtm and vmr both do that.
    Is it a strange behavior of reaper with VST3 support or Slate VST3 or both?
    Reaper project is 96 kHz, 64 bit.
    Btw I don't use VST3 in Reaper, just noticed that when tried. VST2 usually is enough for me

PS. I know Slate digital are overhyped, but they are in right direction to successful sound, but in wrong direction too, because sometimes they sound inevitably digital and gimmicky mimicking "better" by its added frequency (as I noticed weeks ago testing fg-mu, as Von_Steyr did here, looks like there is internal equalizer by default, to mimic mids to be warmer) and other stuff.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  17. mild pump milk

mild pump milk Russian Milk Drunkard

D316a? Could you remind me what it is?

18. Marsupilami

Marsupilami Guest

Good one and up to taste i.e. my smile is a Pultec.
    These setups are also woth a try on a master bus of a mix.

What we can share here with others in common
    is the fact some plugins have interiorly goodies
    worth to test what happens if they are just there.

VBC rack setups may be supportive with respect to above
    and the FG-MU can become a part of it.

Another example and on a broader stroke,
    I wouldn`t hesitate to use a non compressing UAD Neve 33609
    if I hear a track benefits an extra of subtle density.

19. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

D361A is almost a must in the mixbus chain, you notice this once you bypass it, huge difference.

20. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

where can I get this emulation cause acustica does not seem to offer it anymore

21. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

It's still on the sister site.

Btw I tried to compare UM3 from AA and FG MU, but they are very different it's very difficult to match them in their reaction. A least I couldn't. FG MU is a bit brighter , also it can be much more reactive, the compression is different. Adds a bit more saturation too, at least I would say earlier.

I tried real quick this afternoon, I hadn't retried slate comp bundle in a while, I'll try to do something more meaningfull soon. UM3 was already set, so I tried to align FG on it, I'll proceed differently next time.