Slate Digital Virtual Tape Machine.. Killing my Master?

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by Brendan, Feb 27, 2022.

1. Brendan

Brendan Kapellmeister

So I've been using the tape machine, leaving the settings alone but also tweaking them from time to time. I feel if I leave a TON of headroom. Then I'm able to utilize this plugin, as it works almost better than a limiter. Brings "life" to a track, that extra sparkle.

But lately, I notice if I throw it on, it makes things feel almost bitcrushed and congested. Does this suggest a problem with my overall mix, or a problem with the plugin itself. The bass knob towards the bottom is at 0 DB, Bias is always normal, I filter between machine types, tape, and speed. I make mostly hiphop tracks. Hiss is also muted.

Am I doing something wrong? This plugin is part of my mastering chain, So if nothing fixes the issue, I may switch it out for another but I've heard this is one of the better tape machines (but nothing can truly emulate a tape machine)

3. Aiden_CL

Aiden_CL Ultrasonic

i had the same issue, try moving the bass knob and the speed tape. also i never give the tape more than 1db.
    You should try the softube tape.

4. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

Yes. Every time I try to use any kind of tape emulation or so-called analog saturation, any of that stuff, I love it at first and then I sit back and realize at some point it's doing horrible things to the vocals on the track and all kinds of stuff and it all gets deleted again. Probably on certain instrument buses it's fine but it's got to stay far away from vocals and drums (or cymbals, anyway) as far as I can tell and lot of people, that's exactly what they want to use it on.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. devilorcracker

devilorcracker Platinum Record

The way to use the plugin cleanly is not to pin the meters into the red

6. cjw198433

cjw198433 Noisemaker

A trick many A-list engineers use is to link the IN/OUT controls and pull the input all the way down - choose the speed and tape machine from here - it's a more subtle sound, but it won't ruin your mix. It adds subtle glue and goodness ;-)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  7. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

I can achieve "subtle differences" with EQ and compression. And with more control over what's actually happening . :winker:

8. mk_96

mk_96 Audiosexual

Tape emulations are just tools, don't clinge to them. Maybe you changed the way you mix, maybe your ear got good enough so you can notice things you didn't notice before. Either way, if it's not helping the mix, simply don't use it or get another one. It's not like you absolutely have to put tape on the master.

Even top level mastering engineers pull their super expensive hardware out of the chain if they think it's better for the mix.

Also, Slate tape is shit, but don't tell anyone i said that, i'll deny everything.

9. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

There is no doubt that for this kind of thing the soft tube plug-in is much much better.

• Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  10. bravesounds

bravesounds Kapellmeister

Tape is not essential for mastering. Learn how to use eqing and limiters for mastering.

11. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

First thing to do is check your level before going into tape simulation.
    If your newer mixes are louder before going into that plug-in, it may result in unwanted artifacts.

12. Dark6ixer

Dark6ixer Kapellmeister

There's a groove3 or AskVideo tutorial on VTM - it explains about calibrating the tape machine with a 1k sine wave first. It's on the sister site, check it out

13. Titan

Titan Member

May I ask where in the master chain you place the tape saturator.
    Have the following
    side compression
    Eq
    Saturation
    Analog eq color
    Compression
    Eq again to fix some freqs
    Imager (if needed)
    Color Eq subtle
    Multi band compression in case something jumps out
    Limiter

14. Arabian_jesus

Arabian_jesus Audiosexual

I would use tape plug-ins on the individual sub mixes rather than the master. I rarely use anything with a lot of saturation when I'm mastering as there is usually more than enough saturation/distortion effects in my mixes already. When I master other peoples mixes I might use some transformer saturation and maybe a coloured compressor, if I feel that it needs it.

15. hackerz4life

hackerz4life Audiosexual

Not a problem if you know the plugin well, eq curves of tape modeled and the filters it uses. Some tape models have very few options like VTM, others like Satin can be customized more.
    AA Taupe is more fit for mastering due to many models if offers.
    Softube model A also works well for mastering.

16. tchouangtseu

tchouangtseu Kapellmeister

As other people already said, it seems like you running the input too hot. You also doing well by lowering the bass response in the plugin itself as it's emphasing the low end too much on its default setting, leading to too much distorsion, especially on heavy bass music likey you do.

I'm using the Slate tape on my mixbus as well, not pushing it too hard and lowering the bass alignement by 3 to 6dB. Softube tape is another option if you want more subtle coloration and less emphasis on the low end (B model will give you this low end boost and will tame the highs more than A and C).

17. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

Just because something is in your master chain, it doesn't mean you must use it. Something that works sometimes doesn't work always. If not then bypass it.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  18. Brendan

Brendan Kapellmeister

Typically I start with gulfoss, followed by a soft clipper, followed by the tape saturation. This is followed by SD mixrack (compression and subtle analog warmth), wrapping it up with multiband compression and a limiter IF needed.

19. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

Pro Tip: If want to have analog modeled plugins at the end of your audio signal - like a Master Bus Comp and/or Tape – you should it insert right from the beginning and mix into it to find the sweet spot. What you don't want to do is balance to mix and max out the buss and THEN throw it on.

20. Valnar

Valnar Rock Star

Doesn't mean anything. Just because their parameters show 0 doesn't mean they are actually 0

Hence some kind of saturation and low bump is engaged at all times if your ears are correct

-> Plugin Doctor would be able to solve this riddle with ease

21. hackerz4life

hackerz4life Audiosexual

There are no rules.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List