Slate Digital Virtual Mix Rack vs. IK Multimedia Mixbox

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by sentientlantern, Sep 16, 2023.

1. AudioEnzyme

AudioEnzyme Producer

I have cancelled a PayPal payment a few times but it can be tricky if one isn't quick enough... you know, time is money and all that.
    In this case I guess you should really read the fine print.

2. sentientlantern

sentientlantern Member

No, I was well aware of what I was getting myself into. I'm rather impulsive. I've paid for 2 months so far. 10 left and it gets more expensive after 6.
    I could stop any further PayPal payment but I'm not sure what the repercussions could be.

3. AudioEnzyme

AudioEnzyme Producer

Contact the subscription provider i.e Slate Digital but read the fine print first for the possible consequences. Bet you're not the only one with second thoughts. And good luck!

4. alexbart

alexbart Producer

I canceled the "billed monthly" annual subscription by deleting the Paypal automatic payment back in 2021.
    I received the message from Slate after the failed first payment, then I received a second payment failed two days later, then I received a membership canceled message 7 days later.
    This is the exact email I received:
    I think that kind of annual subscription billed monthly is just a a way to attract customers, but it is in fact a monthly subscription and legally there is nothing they can do to force you pay if you decide to stop.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. eXACT_Beats_

eXACT_Beats_ Audiosexual

This was going to be my suggestion. I\ve had fairly good luck approaching devs... less with "companies," but it's worth a shot. Best case scenario is that you could walk away without having to worry about any possible stress or repercussions. I'd be tempted just to walk away from it to see what would happen, but I rarely advise that others do what I would do. :rofl:

@sentientlantern Incidentally, though I stand behind my MixBox-over Slate-Sub opinion, I've seen a lot of people online talking about MixBox, and I thought I'd add two points. The first is people talking on about how it's this powerful, 500 series mixing suite with over 70 modules to sculpt your tracks, which is sort of true and sort of isn't. The fact is, not all of these modules are ones that you'd likely use in a mix, but are geared more towards creating/producing, like for instance the distortion (yes, I'm aware, distortion can be used in a mix context, but you don't see many people doing some mid/side trickery with Boss' Orange stompbox in a mix.) I doubt this is a big deal, as I'll assume that either way, you're okay with a portion of the seventy modules being probably-not-for-mixing modules, if for no other reason than the sheer number of other effects included. And, the second one is quick. It bothers me when I see companies scream from the mountaintops that their product is a "500 Series" plugin. ITB, this essentially just means the effects are presented vertically and can be swapped around... and sometimes only the former. If a company emulated a plugin and it's a 500 Series plugin, they should mention it as a point of interest for us audio geeks, but like so many technical terms in 2023, it's become a majick buzzword of significance in the mad dash by plugin companies (of often low-standings,) to snag your cash out your wallet.
    Just my two cents...

6. clone

clone Audiosexual

They can stick it on your credit report. Potentially.

I never had a chance to check out Mixbox before today. It would always install fine and then just silently not work and I was not persistent about fixing it because I never used it anyway. I am checking out 1.5 now, and this is easily a great deal for 30$.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2023
  7. Mynock

Mynock Audiosexual

+1 for Go with Mixbox and/or InfiniStrip... There's no going wrong with them!

8. sentientlantern

sentientlantern Member

I bought T-Racks instead :rofl:
    Testing out Mixbox, I'm not sure I would have got along with it.

9. sentientlantern

sentientlantern Member

I had a feeling this would be the case. I just bought T-Racks, which filled in the gaps I needed filling so I think I'll go ahead and cancel Slate and SSL. Then all I'm paying for monthly is Cubase 12 and XO, which are rent to own - and I'm fine with that.

10. homer_simpson

homer_simpson Platinum Record

heheh Just ordered and it seems that they are w8ting for new serials wave :D

"
    Thank you for your purchase of MixBox by IK Multimedia

We are temporarily out of serials for Mixbox and expecting a new batch to arrive shortly. The new batch of serials should arrive within the next 24hrs. We will be in touch as soon as they arrive. We apologize for this inconvenience.

Best regards, APD Team."

:D

11. AudioEnzyme

AudioEnzyme Producer

They should hire team R2R for the job

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  12. alexbart

alexbart Producer

No reports can be made as the payment is a simple monthly subscription to Slate Digital and It's not made over a credit line such as Klarna where at the moment of purchase you get a clear receipt of the total amount of the purchase with a detailed list of the split payments over time and most important, you have the tools to manage the payments.