Slate Digital Virtual Mix Rack vs. IK Multimedia Mixbox

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by sentientlantern, Sep 16, 2023.

1. sentientlantern

sentientlantern Member

I'm currently subscribed to Slate Digital All Access Pass but I have the opportunity to buy Mixbox for a really good price.

Does anyone have enough experience with Mixbox and VMR that can tell me if it's worth ditching the subscription and buying Mixbox instead?

3. MrLyannMusic

MrLyannMusic Audiosexual

The only two things i actually use from slate is their Virtual Buss compressors especially grey it's just one of the best, and the tape machine, otherwise my whole workflow evolves around IK Multimedia plugins, from pre amps to compressors to EQs especially eqs...

i have used Mixbox in the past and it helped me reach my targets way faster...

but to answer your question if you are familair with the T-Racks plugins sweet then 100% go for it, if not don't, quality wise IK Multimedia>Slate, mostly...

4. Djord Emer

Djord Emer Audiosexual

I've tried them all and the only option I liked was PSP's InfiniStrip.

• Like Like x 4
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  5. xorome

xorome Audiosexual

For 30 USD/EUR, MixBox is a great deal IMO. That's like 2-3 months of Slate All Access.

6. sentientlantern

sentientlantern Member

Thanks. I haven't subscribed for Slate for long but I've for great results with them. My idea was that if I could get similar processors and modules for one payment, I should probably go for it, especially if they're of better quality.

7. sentientlantern

sentientlantern Member

This was my thinking...

8. stefodis

stefodis Producer

Honestly, for 30USD Mixbox is a no-brainer, it could be your only third party plugin and you wouldn't miss anything IMHO, from subtle and technical mixing tasks to weird sound design shit!
    And soundwise, almost every time I compare them I tend to prefer it over the Slate Channelstrip (some compressors are really decent in the Slate one, but nothing worth the investment, and nothing decisively better than the Ik one)

9. eXACT_Beats_

eXACT_Beats_ Audiosexual

I prefer PSP's InfiniStrip or McDSP's Ultimate Channel Strip over any other giant "channel strip" plugins (at what point does it stop being a channel strip and just becomes a plugin suite contained within an in-DAW host? :dunno: ) but between Slate and IK Multimedia, my vote easily goes to IK's MixBox; everyone in this thread so far has basically summed up my feelings about Slate Digital.
    Honestly, for $30, even if your working on a tight budget (like I constantly am,) the IK deal is a buy. :yes:
    (Side-note: IK doesn't have an offline authorization method, and have expressed that they currently have no intentions of implementing one, just a heads-up if that sort of thing bothers you...)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. towerdefense

towerdefense Guest

Personally I think Slate Digital has very subpar sonic quality & rarely improves upon the original. IK Multimedia sounds way better but also lacks general improvements of old gear. (For example no sidechain highpass options on certain compressors or limited sidechain functionality)
    I think individual, high quality plugins beat out any mix rack/channel rack.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2023
  11. sentientlantern

sentientlantern Member

Yeah these are all good points.

I do have individual plugins that I love but something like Slate or Mixbox fills the gaps. I've had good results with Slate tbf. It's just the subscription that bothers me.

I've realised though that I committed to a 12 month contract of Slate, so I guess I'm stuck with that regardless!

12. Djord Emer

Djord Emer Audiosexual

The advantage of channel strips over using individual plugins is workflow. If a channel strip gets you in the ballpark faster and easier than individual plugins then the channel strip is the better option. This is entirely a subjective preference though, some people love channel strips others don't.

Individual plugins might have more parameters and better DSP but if you can't come up with good results as fast and intuitively with them... there's no advantage, no point, no fun.

I'm NOT a fan of channel strips, the only channel strip that has objectively improved my workflow and consequently my mixes was InfiniStrip, I use it in conjnuction with individual plugins and it's a joy. Does EQ and compression like a beast.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  13. lbnv

lbnv Platinum Record

This is the main drawback.

14. eXACT_Beats_

eXACT_Beats_ Audiosexual

Actually, I'm not either—the InfiniStrip "channel strip" [see: behemoth plugin host] is usually for a chain of compression, saturation, and EQ (in whatever order,) for the convenience of nailing that first gut instinct. That said, I actually do like the Lindell Audio channels and Focusrite bx_console for specific tasks as well. I enjoy embracing the creativity that using individual plugins lends to a mix, but sometimes I need something that fits just right, and that Focusrite bx_console, for instance, has an EQ that places certain Mark series EPs or organs in a mix perfectly to my taste.

15. clone

clone Audiosexual

Me, too. But many things in a project can be "Stock" plugins for basic sounds, or even things back in the mix. If a part in your song can be as easily created with some low cpu synth instead of some beast or a 50 gb Kontakt library; you probably don't need 10 "accurate analog emulation" plugins on it either. Using a trustworthy channel strip can also save a lot of your time and effort when you are writing. You can always go back and insert higher quality replacement individual plugins later, like right before you bounce them to stems. If you do them individually, you can disable everything and use almost all your resources onto that one channel.

16. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Wow that's a bargain. :wink:
    Adding it immediately to software news section.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2023
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. sentientlantern

sentientlantern Member

I'm wondering what would actually happen if I just stopped paying for my Slate subscription...

18. shafeeqbeats

shafeeqbeats Ultrasonic

+1 for MixBox. I would venture to say that if I was forced to remove all my plugins except for this, I could still get by.

19. AudioEnzyme

AudioEnzyme Producer

End of Days? :deep_facepalm:

20. sentientlantern

sentientlantern Member

Because yeah, I might have committed to a 12 month contract...but have I actually COMMITTED?

21. AudioEnzyme

AudioEnzyme Producer

Well if you have doubts, don't do it...
    Besides, MixBox is a one time fee offer.

22. sentientlantern

sentientlantern Member

What I mean is that the Slate subscription I'm on apparently can't be cancelled for 12 months but I'm wondering if I can just cancel the Paypal automatic payments and walk away.