Slate Digital / iLock

Discussion in 'Software' started by AB69, Nov 26, 2016.

1. AB69

AB69 Newbie

Does anyone have any insight as to which plugins are harder to crack for OSX, Slate Digital or SoundToys? Basically I don't want to buy something then have it quickly show up on audioz, so i'd rather pick the 1 that is least likely to be cracked if that makes sense. I've only seen Slate Digital and SoundToys Windows stuff on Audioz so this is why I ask. Will appreciate any concerns. I've paid for most of the plugins I most use (Serum, Sylenth, Zebra etc.) but obviously with the amount of software and hardware out there for music production i'm not able to pay for all of them at once so I would rather pay for the one that is most likely not popping up on Audioz.

If I already have SSL collection, would I need the VMR?

Right now the price for VMR is 50% off with no ilock, what if I need an ilock? Where is their sale with the ilock?

What is the ilock exactly? I've looked at other sites and one place said it is $70? What exactly am I paying $70 for? I'm fine with paying $70 if it does something for me, but I'm not paying extra money for a useless usb stick that I cannot even use, only to help the company make sure their software remains uncracked. If the latter is the case, shouldnt the ilock be included for free if you purchase ilock software?

Finally, if I purchase the VMR tonight/this weekend, will I be able to use it immediately or is it something where I am going to have to wait until the ilock ships so I mind as well order next week?

Can someone clarify please? Thanks.

3. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

iLok is a USB key (looks like a memory stick, except is not) which holds your licenses. You can access and manage it's content using the iLok License Manager free app - you can drag and drop licenses between keys, or between your computer and key.

Some manufacturers (Soundtoys) do not require the iLok key (they offer "soft" licensing), just the free iLok account and the iLok License Manager app. You can use their plugins in the first 10 minutes after the purchase.

Some manufacturers (Slate, Sonnox) require the hardware iLok key connected to your computer at all times. You can purchase the key from Slate or from any retailer selling iLok 2. You can use Slate products directly after purchase if you already own an iLok 2 key or as soon as you receive it by post.

If I were you, I would not count on either Slate or Soundtoys to be available for macOS (cracked I mean) so feel free to purchase whatever products you need. For dance music I would start with Soundtoys rather than Slate.

4. MNDSTRM

MNDSTRM Platinum Record

You don't "need" VMR or anything other than the stock eq that came with your DAW, but its nice to have different flavours and workflows.

You will need an iLok. Its a USB thumbrive that holds licences. Last I checked they were around $40 from Amazon.

Its kinda not worth it for one plugin, but if you buy a lot from different companies like Softube and Sound Toys (though recently its optional), One iLok dongle is all you need.

IMO iLok dongles don't come free with plugins because the user only needs one dongle. I have 21 licences, I don't need 21 iLoks.

If you buy VMR tonight, you'll have to wait for the dongle to come.

PS. Don't buy VMR, do the Slate Digital Monthly subscription, $15 a month and you get access to like two dozen plugins and all new ones that will come. You'll still need an iLok dongle.

5. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

If you're on a Mac, you can also just go to Airwindows.com and spend about a third of what you'd spend on a Slate plug (or in some cases, even for free) for roughly the same exact thing, minus the fancy GUI and the iLok hassles.

(Edit: scratch that; I just checked and he's now making PC VST versions of his plugs, too.)

Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
  6. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

You can buy an ilok on his site its cheaper.
    IMO VMR is worth it, 50% off is a great deal.