Slate Digital Ditches The Dongle!

Discussion in 'Software News' started by devilorcracker, Dec 12, 2018.

1. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Audiosexual

the hate is against dongles mostly, i mean hardware dongles are so 90s.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  2. korte1975

korte1975 Guest

slate vmr is kickass, yet i stick with my trusy brainworx bundle

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

Who is that Steven Slate?

4. Gyro Gearloose

Gyro Gearloose Audiosexual

u are his worst enemy ...heh heh..

5. It is odd, when you look at those Mastering The Mix videos, and those Puremix Mixing Lifeboats videos. All those pro mixers never use Slate. They all use UAD. They mostly use Fabfilter, Softube, Brainworx and Sonnox. They'll sometimes use Waves or even the ProTools stock plugs. But you never, ever see these dudes saying 'I'll just get out my trusty old VMR from Steven Slate.' The only videos where you do see Slate plugs being used were made by Slate Industries Inc.

Funny, that.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. PopstarKiller

PopstarKiller Platinum Record

I dislike the guy, but come on, some of his plugins are actually good. Also, talking about Puremix, Fab Dupont is probably the only man in the audio industry I dislike more than Slate, and his guest mixers haven't impressed me at all.

7. The plugs are by Fabrice Gabriel of Eiosis, who is an excellent plug maker. The problem is Slate not the plugs.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. KungPaoFist

KungPaoFist Audiosexual

Slate is sad now...

9. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Mh, as already has been said, the dongle is better than having to be online all the time.

I think the 'hate' directed against the person himself, not against the dongle or the plugs.

10. korte1975

korte1975 Guest

the really sad thing is when you don't want to use their plugins even if it's from AudioUtopia lolol

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  11. PopstarKiller

Sure, the point is that they are still pretty good, whether famous audio guys use them or not.

12. It depends what you mean by good plugs and good mixers. Take Michael Brauer, a Grammy award winning New York mix engineer of fame and reputation who has a very whacky five compressor technique named after him. On “Inside The Track #3 Michael Brauer” he shows us his setting on the Thermionic Culture Vulture.

This isn’t his recommended setting, this is HIS setting, at which the Vulture’s knobs have become coated with dust from being left that way for years. Because the really horrible truth about too many Big Name Engineers and their outboard gear is that they have those racks and racks of gear all set up the same way on absolutely every track they mix. That way they can get THEIR sound on any musicians’ mix without spending any time over thinking about it. That’s what the Mike Brauer five compressor technique is: it’s five compressors all set up the same way every time and he blends a mix through them to get the Mike Brauer sound. Mike’s opinion is that you shouldn’t spend any time on all that precious balancing that Flab Dupont gets up to. You mix it till it clicks and that’s the job done. Your mileage may vary.

But that’s what you’re buying in Slate Virtual Mix Rack. You have compressors, EQs, distortion and whatever all reduced to a very narrow and highly simplified form that delivers the Steven Slate Sound. You may really get off on the Steven Slate Sound, I prefer the Fudsey Plange sound myself. I prefer UAD. I prefer Sonnox. I prefer Airwindows. Because it’s about me finding my music and my sound and I don’t want to be putting out stuff that sounds the same as the fifty thousand freeloaders who are trying VMR before they buy it, or the twenty thousand who paying Slate fourteen dollars a month for the privilege.

But it’s a choice you need to make for the right reason. After all, Brauer has won a Grammy and I haven’t.

• Like Like x 3
    • List
  13. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

Simple GUI, complex tone machinations...highly recommended for those in the not know (free plugs, I am a Patreon)

And the Grammy goes to...Fudsey "Spankie" Plange.

14. itisntreal

itisntreal Guest

Who? Steven Slafe...

15. PopstarKiller

I have absolutely no idea why you wrote all that shit just to say that you don't like plugins with narrow parameters. His plugins aren't much different in choice of parameters than most analog emulations out there, and they don't just go to create a "Slate sound". They are mostly based on stuff that's common in studios geared for Rock music. If you think an 1176 or a 1073 are exclusively "Slate sound" there's something wrong with you. If they're not your choice of tool, that's ok, but for others, they are good tools.

16. krakdhaus

krakdhaus Kapellmeister

oh... sorry... I thought the subject read... 'Slate Digital itches his Dongle!''...

17. You get to the point where you stop trying to tell people about the really good stuff because of all the bad stuff they insist is good.

Oh well.

18. tvandlover

tvandlover Producer

That's it! Only cracked versions for me from now on.

19. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Welcome to a new age...
    Slate Ditchital

(I know, worst joke of the century :rofl:)

20. waverider

waverider Rock Star

Looks like there are at least some plugins that you can still buy instead of only being able to get them in the all access pass (like FG-X for example).