Slate compared Acustica Gold to his FG-N plugin

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by Von_Steyr, May 11, 2017.

1. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual

@subGENRE , @Jaymz I so should have done this for myself a LONG time ago. So many marketable skills. I used to work in a consumer electronics (TV) shop doing circuit level troubleshooting, usually without any service manuals/diagrams, etc. Had to reverse engineer a TV in order to make the repair profitable. Also been a software developer so got the PC skills too. As it is, though, I'm a Service Manager for a locally owned copier dealer. I love my job, and even have a company vehicle with company gas card. Otherwise, I'd be doing what ya'll are doing.

2. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

Fist you smell the board and look for burns, then isolate components and test with your multimeter. Always checking the caps and resistors first (if its getting power). Youre talking my language now. The look people give you when your sniffing out the tv boards, lol

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. digitaldragon

That's it exactly. We had a Sencore Test Instrument that would lock onto a waveform automatically, and give you the DC, AC, P2P, dbM, etc. of that test point. Really useful for testing gain between stages. And don't forget the screwdriver handle knock test for finding bad solder joints!
    Yeah, sniffing boards looks funny, but saves a TON of time troubleshooting. And a leaky capacitor just gives off this certain stench, especially when you're desoldering it from the board.
    I left consumer electronics because I could see the future of disposable devices coming.

4. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

yup, and disposable boards. Everything is micro-soldered by robots now. I tried putting a sewing machine needle on my soldering tip wrapped together with some copper wire. to repair a usb port on a phone. I was unsuccessful even with my magnifyer/3rd hand. those joints are just to friggin close now

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. digitaldragon

I used to repair cellular base station radios using Surface Mount tools. You've got to have a microscope and a special tip for the soldering iron for work that fine (You can get them for Weller Irons). Sometimes hot air. Luckily I was able to acquire a microscope. I learned to pull off and replace those 200 pin SMT DSP chips. Tedious work! No caffeine before one of those!

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  6. Medrewb

Medrewb Platinum Record

Well, I know where you are going.. Of course you cannot 100% model it accurately (for now).

Different hardware sounds different. Even 1176 my uncle own and his friend's 1176 which they bought at the same time together also sounds different.

So, what ever the method being used, I am 100% sure that the slate modelled plugins are 99.9% similar to the hardware unit they modeled.

Just do some blind test.. Its pretty simple.. Since my ears are not trained, I can't really tell a difference... But you can try

7. Montgent

Montgent Kapellmeister

I also am successful with a picture of a van. Van 1.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  8. returnal

returnal Rock Star

I think it's extremely kind of Mr. Slate to introduce his 37,000+ YouTube subscribers to a little Italian company called Acustica ... a true act of corporate generosity. He must be a great guy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. DanielFaraday

DanielFaraday Platinum Record

Well people just forgot about alexB's deep rectal analysis of slate's vcc. There was about 50 topics on GS and AA forum. And this is really fun vid for whose who understands all 2ms kernel jokes. In case you are missed something:
    Fabrice Gabriel - really knows what he's doing
    Steven Slate - fat troll, period.
    AlexB - Italian butthurt grandmaster.

In case if you still have no idea what is going on:
    [​IMG]

10. ia

ia Producer

what I'v missed?