Slate compared Acustica Gold to his FG-N plugin

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by Von_Steyr, May 11, 2017.

1. PopstarKiller

PopstarKiller Platinum Record

Of all plugins, EQs have the least difference in sound. Those guys should focus on creating different applications that we don't have a million plugins for, instead of those inane comparisons.

I bet I can get that same sound with Reaper's stock eq, anyway.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual

Oh, absolutely. I completely agree with that. I'm a developer myself, but not plugins. If I were doing plugins, I'd definitely be doing live comparisons to the competition just to know where mine stood.
    Don't think I'd post up a video of the comparison though. It's like bad netiquette or something.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  3. Unirorm

Unirorm Producer

It's only me or there is absolute no difference when he is blind testing, while i can def hear before even with my eyes closed.
    If that's the case we are talking for a major scum

EDIT: Actually there is a minor, i take that back

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  4. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

I do like Slate stuff. But i also like the Acustica Audio stuff I've heard. The great thing about being a consumer is we have the power to choose one, the other, both or none. Not everything has to be a competition with one clear winner.

Anyway, I have never really got used to Acustica but keep trying. The limited tutorials out there about the basics of it don't make it any easier either. I keep seeing Nebula 'modules' that look neat, but I am yet to work out how to change the red default skin. That is how basic my knowledge of it is so far :rofl:

5. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

That part, the changing skin part is actually easy but concerning Nebula 3 (and it will be even more on N4 but it's not yet implemented, the default skin on N4 is grey). I've made a couple of screenshots as of how to change skin in N3, it happens in the master page, and it's pretty straight forward. The first screenshot show how to proceed and the second the result, what you don't see on those is that I removed the first Nebula fx when I made the change then reopened one to have the change effective, you have to reload the fx to see the new skin, so if you want to change skin, you should do it before loading libraries. The easiest with N3 is to use Nebula setup to do personalized nebulas vsts already skinned and paired with librairies or to use something like Agent to skin them yourself globaly and pile up nebulas.

Part one Change skin in master setting and save :
    [​IMG]

Part two : replace the instance with the saved new skin settings and reload one with the applied settings:

[​IMG]

Also on a side note Acquas and Nebula are different stories, not in their techs, but how to use them, acquas aree easier to handle. Several Nebulas lib+skins = acquas but in lego kits. Acquas are a lot of nebulas instances reunited and skinned to give access to all settings available in all those instances.
    [​IMG]

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. ia

ia Producer

That's would be great! Actually this is calling "Competition" and if you don't want to see it OK
    but I want it.
    PS that is not a secret that companies fighting with each other

7. lexeed

lexeed Platinum Record

Nobody seems to have mentioned this: one big reason for not being able to differentiate is that it's in MONO. AA's natural stereo spread and depth would have made things a lot easier to guess. I'm pretty damned sure that was on purpose too. I can't stand Slate, but he ain't stupid.

• Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Sure its his right, makes things interesting. Though imagine Apple went comparing their macbook pro with some independent company with a few people.
    Makes you look kind of weak. Not the end of the world though :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2017
  9. ia

ia Producer

AA and Slate trying to seat on same chair in this industry
    so it will be funny to see them fighting
    I don't want to see things like Audiodamage vs UAD or EastWest vs ISW or Steinberg vs Cakewalk
    But it's fucking funny to see UAD vs Waves, Steinberg vs NI, EatWesr vs VSL vs 8dio, etc=)

10. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

You have a point there. Its a brutal world out there, seems like every week we have some new company coming out with some sort of analog emulation of a desk, eq or a compressor.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. famouslut

famouslut Audiosexual

cba to watch the vid. Strikes me that Slate is all about the hype, this is as good an example of it as any. Acustica has some extraordinary and amazing tech and ideas, I dunno & don't care if this EQ is/isn't. I know that nothing Slate has made is better than bundled. Which will prolly not be his slogan. But deserves to be.

12. ed-enam

ed-enam Rock Star

I too want to see the difference before buying anything. But it's not about you want or I don't....no my friend that's no the case.

There is a basic business etiquette as rule of thumb. For an easy understanding have you ever seen a Sony ad dissing Panasonic? Never, you won't see this because although there is a competition, this won't be a wise step nor will that be a healthy competition even though both are rivals. Instead, Sony will advertise it's product at length to capture your attention by giving you something extraordinary. Panasonic will introduce exactly similar product but cheaper. Now up to you to decide! Just recently I bought Vintage V100 guitar which is one the best budget guitars giving you a Gibson tone. None of the companies had undermined each other ever but what attracted me was the price. However, people like you and me made my decision more easy by doing comparison at different media platforms. Companies have to maintain a global decorum, a universal code of conduct, a respect which unfortunately Mr. Hyped Digital failed to follow making him look cheap and like Von said, juvenile and the funniest part is tables were turned because of his no self respecting comparison!

With that said I am in the same boat as you but my beliefs are different while I do respect your point of view. Let's sail the boat now :wink:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

I was thinking the exact same thing brother

14. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

Slate is like a Shelby
    shelby56.jpg vs
    AA is like a Ferrari

170216093815-ferrari-812-superfast-780x439.jpg
    One is loud and ballsy and quicker off the line. But the other one is sexy and faster!

Last edited: May 12, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. DanielFaraday

DanielFaraday Platinum Record

And useless.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  16. ed-enam

ed-enam Rock Star

Great explanations by Slate on YT, standing ovation! 55likes/50 dislikes. Mr. Hyped can't see the difference between the two techs.

"It's a great plugin. All we're doing here is demonstrating that when you compare the like emulations, they both sound great and neither the FIR or Algo approach to modeling can really be said to be superior. Thanks for watching!"

Seems like his sales going down. While he himself made emulations, this is just pure stupidity and clearly a tone of envy.

"We agree with you. The purpose of this kind of thing is so people can stop worrying about analog modeling methods and worry more about more important stuff like how they are gonna get that singer four pitches back in key! Thanks for the comments!"

17. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

Im sorry Mr Helpful.
    Someone needs to relax

18. PopstarKiller

PopstarKiller Platinum Record

I don't think we can call anything AA does "faster".

19. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

I am more than willing to have such a useless car. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

My ears won't be able to tell the difference between both plugins, especially if it's in a full mix context.

Beside that, this A/B comparison could have been even more relevant if it was produced by some average Joe.

Nothing wrong with the fact that a company chooses such a marketing strategy but it's a bit out of fashion: We were used to comparative ads in the 60s, 70s, 80s and even 90s but it faded away those last couple of years AFAIK. Some sort of golden age of advertising era or a blast from the past if you will, but thanks to Slate we are (kind of) back to this time.