SL88 Grand owners: How do you calibrate the velocity curve for virtual instruments?

Discussion in 'Studio' started by holdup13, Sep 2, 2022.

1. holdup13

holdup13 Kapellmeister

How do you calibrate the velocity curve for virtual instruments? Is there any "preset" calibration settings? I've been playing with this midi controller for a couple of months and I find myself changing the velocity curve quite a lot, sometimes I feel it very soft, sometimes very hard.

BTW, I'm not asking how to literally change the velocity curve (I know how to do that), but rather, how I should calibrate it to properly match the velocity range/curve of most virtual instruments (i.e. pianoteq, arturia).

Last edited: Sep 2, 2022
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

As far as I know there's no consensus about this. So you have to (continue to) make it your own, be it in your MIDI hardware controller or with a MIDI plugin. Yeah, it sucks.

4. holdup13

holdup13 Kapellmeister

The thing is that I'm not a professional keyboardist, and I bought this fine midi keyboard with weighted keys to learn with the feel of a real piano (or close to it). I'm now confused because I can't tell if it's my playing style or the velocity curve that's wrong. It could be both. I'm afraid that if I adjust the curve to adapt to my poor playing technique then all the practice will be somewhat worthless if I ever switch to a real piano. So I want to calibrate it to a more "flat" or neutral response, if you will.

5. clone

clone Audiosexual

It's going to happen either way, you will always have to adjust your playing. A 10 centimeter shorter ski does not alter the size of the mountain, does it? Boats built for specific tide? etc. You'll have to deal with it either way.

6. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

I see... I'd look for more information on the manufacturer's site or other users of your keyboard. Like here;
    https://vi-control.net/community/th...diologic-sl88-grand-now-that-i-own-it.104014/

7. holdup13

holdup13 Kapellmeister

Thanks, I'll check it out.

8. holdup13

holdup13 Kapellmeister

Yeah, makes sense.

9. Olymoon

Olymoon MODERATOR Staff Member

Best Answer
    There is not one only way to do this but, you could try this, specially if your going to play with piano vst.

Try the 3 pianos you like the most and find a calibration that works on all of them. Play very soft and very hard to be sure that your curve allows you to cover all the nuances of the piano.
    Remember that even with real piano, you have to adapt your playing a bit. From Bosendorfer to Yamaha there is a difference.

Once this done, if you use synthesisers adapt your playing to them, don't change your velocity curve.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

The manufacturers really do the best to set the velocity correctly. You should not change it.

2 Examples:
    - With the Pigments from Arturia you have "velocity" for the amp mod, which you can adjust until the stop is right.
    - The Vember Audio - Surge XT VSTi has a "Velocity" button, with the button you get a better result.
    - In some VSTi there is a Mod Matrix (see example photo of Arturia - Prophet VS) where you can assign velocity to the Amp Env and set Plus + Minus -.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2022

Attached Files:

11. orbitbooster

orbitbooster Audiosexual

Suffice to say that every piano I tried is not same in feel to others, some are stiff, some are soft, some are lagging (bouncing) some are just terrible, some have too long run of pedals, some are just right for my taste.

Go to a piano shop and ask to try some, it will help on the feel that fits on you.

For your question
    Hardware:
    Test hardware quality with MIDI OX or similar that velocity spans from real low values (from 1 to 20) to high being sure there are no skips in range (I once tested a midified piano that skipped from 40 to 100, very bad thing for dynamics resolution).

Software:
    speaking of vsts I noticed that most libraries/vsts are set on low dynamics, and that's not real for a good piano.
    Instead of changing the calibration curve that is supposed to be correct for a good graded weighted keyboard, try to increase dynamics, usually you can find a slider or knob.
    Olny then, if necessary, retouch the curve on vst (I never touch the keyboard curve).

When I close my eyes at times I forget to play on a virtual piano, it's like I feel the hammer hitting the string, that is my "calibration test", but you have at least to try a real one, many if you can.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2022
  12. JudoLudo

JudoLudo Kapellmeister

that's a very good thread, thanks

hi there, I have an SL88 Grand and an SL73 Studio.

And yes, Keyscape user here and I find it a bit hard to have a feeling with this keybed. But I'm quite good so np

never tried to change balance, I'm bad at it

13. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Which MIDI Keyboard Should I Use With Keyscape?

We have designed Keyscape to work with a wide variety of MIDI keyboard controllers.

Keyscape comes with Velocity Curve Presets that optimize Keyscape for use with
    commonly used keyboards created by Roland, Novation, M-Audio, Kawai, and AKAI.

Source: www.spectrasonics.net/support/knowledgebase_view_topic.php?id=61&categoryID=21

How Do I Set Velocity Curve Settings in Keyscape?
    www.spectrasonics.net/support/knowledgebase_view_topic.php?id=60&showcatID=21

14. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

That seems good advice, even if you use only one for kind of a reference. Only when you play to improve your skill, of course.

15. Olymoon

Olymoon MODERATOR Staff Member

Thanks.
    Ideally, we should have at least 2 keyboards, one weighted with hammer action and another one with synth action.
    If we had the money and space for them...
    But it's easier to play synths with a weighted keyboard, than to play piano with a synth keyboard.