SL-2000 cabling change

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by aschnt, Jan 8, 2024.

1. aschnt

aschnt Producer

Hi all,

Having not much electrician knowledge except for the basics, before doing some shitty job I wanted to have your input if I may.

So, I'm configuring my audio setup a bit differently at home. Now, the very limited 1m RCA + ground cables are too short to connect the technics to the amp so I'm switching for new ones. But apparently, it's harder than expected to find such a thin cable for the ground job!! No shops around at less than a few hours walk sells this.. I mean, it's possible but I'd have to take the train and bus for that and, let's be honest, it'd cost me more than the RCA (and mostly I'm freaking lazy just thinking about it..).
    Is there a reason why this cable is so thin?
    I get why it's best it's malleable and not straight solid, but can it be swapped with a larger diameter without compromising anything, rather than this "hair thin" one ?

And moreover, do you have a trick on how to remove the soldering material to replace with new instead of just piling up. Got a few ideas but I'd be pissed damaging the small board too in the end.

Thanks!!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2024

Attached Files:

3. Krypton85

Krypton85 Ultrasonic

From what I know about turntables in general, you can use any type of wire for grounding. Capacitance is so low that there should be no problem at all (audiophiles might have a different opinion on this, I guess). :D

For removing solder you could either use a special desoldering pump (manual vacuum pump) or special desoldering braid. If both are not within reach, leave everynthing as is and simply use a bit of fresh solder for the new cable. Done.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  4. krameri

krameri Platinum Record

I second this!

5. aschnt

aschnt Producer

Many thanks ! I'll go to the DIY store around see if they have the pump and take a 1.5m cable or anything malleable they have then !

6. aschnt

aschnt Producer

After a couple of issues (maybe not the brightest idea to try for the 1st time soldering on these, quite tricky to keep cables still.. and a vendor oblivious to what they actually had in store regarding soldering material..) but in the end it worked out really well !
    Sounds perfect and fits very nicely.

As it appeared to be quite fun, I'm now thinking about modding my amp for a better network card as the actual embedded BT5.0 is absolute trash with 3-4 sec delay.... but I'll check the manual and technical drawings and do a separate topic on that regard to get your inputs on what I could use instead.

Thanks a lot again the both of you :)

[​IMG]