skipping/jumping on grid

Discussion in 'Live' started by Backtired, Sep 24, 2024.

1. Backtired

Backtired Audiosexual

hello.
    is there a way to "skip" a few bars on the grid, so as to maintain the structure, colouring and eventual timed-related effects?
    picture to clarify.
    image_2024-09-24_123658397.png

i would like the grid to show the true structure, disregarding the fill.
    in fl studio i used to use locators/markers and do something like "jump" if i remember correctly.

3. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

I don't know Live, but in Cubase I set left/1 and right/2 marker in "mirrored" position, say 2 and then 1. Then I activate loop/cycle and Cubase just skips the part that is inbetween the inverted locators.
    Does Ableton Live have this feature?

4. Backtired

Backtired Audiosexual

hi baxter.
    i don't think there's such an option. there's an option to use a midi controller and map it to a specific marker, but i simply want to skip a part of the arrangement. it's kind of mind blowing that this can't be done. i looked around and there are a few max4live devices that do exactly this but they're charging like 10/20 dollars, crazy prices.

5. Backtired

Backtired Audiosexual

UPDATE FOR EVERYONE HAVING SIMILAR ISSUES
    this is the max4live device you're looking for. finally found it. it uses the Global Quantization Launch Settings, so if you put 'none' in ableton, the jump is instant. just drop it on a midi channel, it's pretty easy to use
    https://www.maxforlive.com/library/device/5654/transport-widget

6. stopped

stopped Platinum Record

are you trying to do things in session view you should be doing in arrangement view? this question is confusing to me as I can't imagine why someone would need to

7. Backtired

Backtired Audiosexual

i managed to solve it by using the above device.
    all i was asking was for a way to skip to a marker (the grid is always going to stay the same, so at the end i don't really care).
    if you look at the image in the first post, the green part is only three beats long. usually one would put a fill in the last beat. what if i want to continue the track after three beats? yes, i can, but then any time effect is not going to work properly, plus it will look out of phase in the arrangement and it'd be confusing. now i can just place markers and use the skip, like this

image_2024-09-26_082332546.png