Skinny Puppy Dead Lines

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by freefeet12, Dec 29, 2017.

1. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

Lets play guess the drum machine/s.

The C Hat sounds like an 808. I ran it through a Lexicon PSP 42 plugin and got satisfactory results.

The Kick sounds like a 707 to me with reverb of some sort on the mids. Not sure though.

The Snare is hard for me to hear because of everything else going on but I'm thinking it's also from a 707.

Some gear that they had that may have been used on Bites.

prophet
    SS30
    Arp ProSoloist
    OBXA and two OB1
    pro 1
    source
    TR808
    CR78
    syncussion
    SIMMONS SDSV
    DX7
    TR909
    Lexicon PCM 41
    multi moog
    minimoog

As you can see, no 707 on the list but the machine was produced in 1985, when Bites came out. What do you think?

3. The-RoBoT

The-RoBoT Rock Star

Still one of my fav bands :wink:

Also
    Skinny Puppy ‎– Rabies
    Another classic

4. cEvin Key

cEvin Key Kapellmeister

remember Dwayne Göttel..........
    Thank you for all Dwayne
    I love SP since decades

5. Lepow

Lepow Producer

vocoders on Worlock's chorus, always had me like.... :woot:

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  6. Rasputin

Rasputin Platinum Record

Well, don't forget they had multiple samplers, so... just because a drum machine isn't on a (not necessarily exhaustive or definitive) gear list doesn't really mean they didn't use a sample of <xyz> at any given point.

7. bluerover

bluerover Audiosexual

8. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

@bluerover That's where I got the list from.

@Rasputin Sure, I'm just trying to figure out what drum sounds they used for this song in particular and seeing as the Roland TR-707 came out the same year the album did I'm questioning myself as to whether or not they did use (my guess) a 707 for the kick and snare.

9. electriclash

electriclash Guest

"Well, a lot of the earliest skinny puppy stuff was me playing my prophet while kevin fooled around with effects, or that he would take home and work on with the portastudio, so I don't recognize a lot of it, plus lots of it was just scraps of things. As far as released, Meat Flavor (full version on the from the vault series) and To a baser nature on BF2. both of these I used prophet. (as well, Ed shaw, our guitar player at that time, worked at mushroom as assistant to fairlight guy Jean Piche, so ed added some fairlight (as "bob sled") to a few tracks during 85)( I am "O.N.B."--that's ogs nogs bogs--kevin was really into nicknames-- in the thankyous on bites, and "and associates" is the rest of IIV)

It's not just bites that uses IIV gear, but the bed tracks for bites were recorded on 4 track (teac 3440) at our rehearsal studio. at that time my gear was the prophet, ss30 and arp prosoloist. glen's gear was the obxa and two ob1, gary had a pro 1 and the source and we also had the tr808, cr78, syncussion and simmons sdsv. as well, ogre had a dx7 and a tr909 and maybe a pro 1, and a lexicon pcm 41, and bill or kevin had a multi moog and maybe later a minimoog as well. We ran all the keyboards and electronic percussion through a Malcom Hill 24/8 mixer, which was our live monitor mixer (into 6 mixer), to the four track . The guys just used whaterever was set up. I hear a lot of prophet and pro 1 and source on bites. I occasionally helped set up sounds on the multi or mini moog as well as showing them how to use effects. the four track recordings were transferred to 16 track at mushroom where vocals, loops and more overdubs were done."

-joe vizvary

a lot of potential variables in there, however...
    heres the 707 kick:

and the syncussion:

..could swear I used to get the same kick shape out of a tweeked envelope on the jd800 :dunno: good luck!

10. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

I'm thinking the Snare is a 909 now. :unsure: hahaha

11. bluerover

bluerover Audiosexual

You could hop on Facebook and follow cEvin Key, and ask him directly.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  12. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

I'm always tempted to ask him gear related questions when he makes a rare appearance in the FB SP group and posts about cats and whatnot.

Anyways, I'm getting closer to what I want with the 707 Kick, 909 snare combo. That 909 snare can sometimes sound like a 707 snare, depending on what you do with either and the processing of course.

13. Rasputin

Rasputin Platinum Record

To me, this song has a digital vibe to it. Doesn't sound analog to me. Doesn't sound Pearl SY-1 Syncussion.

Even if it's not TR-707, seems pretty ballpark to me. I don't think it's SCI Drumtraks either as Drumtraks sounds less defined and more beefy and aliased. Doesn't seem like Yamaha RX-11.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  14. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

Here it is after some DeVerberate.

Attached Files:

15. Rasputin

Rasputin Platinum Record

This is such a great question and so hard to definitively figure out. The kick seems really clicky and defined like a high pitched Linn kick.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  16. The high hats are partially stochastic - Elektron Analog RYTM.

17. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

I shall say one thing: it's not what you use, but how you use it. :wink:

Also, past is past. It's there so you can learn something from it and improve upon it. Keep improving! great thread! :wink:

Love Skinny Puppy. And FLA, and Clock DVA. The great[est] Vancouver industrial electronic scene. Nowadays we have Hocico and the likes... not really any improvement, it's a downright downgrade. That's why I'm saying people should improve, not just copy it. Make some fucking noise, guys! Filter it, tweak it, fuck it in the arse if need be, but make something that sounds innovative or at least on par with the old stuff! :headbang:

18. electriclash

electriclash Guest

:wink::wink:

19. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

That thing looks bad ass for sure, but I have some doubts they used it in this particular song. :winker:

20. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

It's proving to be a pain.