Sjoerdvankreel - InfernalSynth - Was anyone able to get this to work?

Discussion in 'Software' started by BEAT16, Mar 7, 2023.

1. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Sjoerdvankreel - InfernalSynth - Was anyone able to get this to work?
    https://audiosex.pro/threads/sjoerdvankreel-infernalsynth-v1-1-vst3-7-3-2023-free.69578/

It finds the plugin in the search but you can not call it!
    2023-03-07_100025.jpg

Last edited: Mar 12, 2023
  3. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

tried reaper? reaper has the most solid Plugin scanner i have seen.

4. DrumcodeX

DrumcodeX Platinum Record

working in bitwig, "versioned" version (lol)

first loading attempts crashed bitwig plugin host, but probably my fault (guess i messed it up with the resources folder)

[​IMG]

EDIT: quickly had to make a no horror version :mad:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2023
    • Like Like x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  5. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Hello @DrumcodeX, thank you very much!
    Can you tell me a bit more, I can't get it right.

I get this warning message:
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3\InfernalSynth\Versioned\InfernalSynthFX1.1.vst3\Contents\x86_64-win\InfernalSynthFX1.1.vst3

com.bitwig.flt.library.metadata.reader.exception.CouldNotReadMetadataException: could not read metadata: Not a plug-in file
    -------------------------------------------------------------------

6. DrumcodeX

don't have time for this right now. just had a quick look, the FX version is running here without problems as well.
    i have only one version installed in my vst3 folder, "versioned", not the "generic" one. if you have both installed this might cause problems. i can have a closer look in an hour or so.

EDIT: is the synth version running for you now? or do you get errors for both, synth + FX?

EDIT 2: finally had time to actually play some notes with this, and i don't think it's worth any hassle. couldn't find anything that 487 freeware synths wouldn't already offer. doesn't sound good, the gui is a mess (even without the horror show), i don't like the filters, ...
    thought the karplus-strong mode for the osc's could be interesting, but it just doesn't sound good to me.
    and so on... maybe there's something hidden under the hood, but i doubt i'll find it because i won't bother with this very long and delete it soon.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2023
  7. thomas78

thomas78 Kapellmeister

blue cat's patchwork loads the synth with a "check compatibility" error, seib's vsthost does nothing. versioned, generic, synth, fx, infernalsynth, sevensynth, nothing works.

8. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Thank you @thomas78!

9. thomas78

thomas78 Kapellmeister

BEAT16, that thread @ the renoise forum is about automation parameters & their order, the developer found a bug in renoise & fruity loops. imho thats in no way related to not load the plugin.
    the link to the fl forum (the 2nd @ the kvr page) doesnt work for me, even archive.org hasnt got it. are you able to visit that link?

10. sjoerdvankreel

sjoerdvankreel Member

@thomas78 correct, both issues are about not being able to correctly load automation data for existing projects and have nothing to do with loading the plugin itself. The fruity link doesn't work for anyone but me since FL forums have this policy of marking forum posts private untill they are resolved (forgot that when I posted).

11. sjoerdvankreel

sjoerdvankreel Member

Since the general consensus is the user interface is a no-go (not only on this forum btw), would anyone care to give some feedback every now and then as/if I'd rewrite the UI? The project's still very much in-development, I probably should've made that more clear when posting the thing to kvr.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  12. sowhat

sowhat Ultrasonic

Good idea to follow user input for the UI sjoerd. But wouldn't it be better to get the plugin to open up in major DAWs at least, have some kind of stable release that isn't a pita to install?
    I tried it in Bitwig but it's a no-go, even though it is supposed to work. Kind of hard to give feedback on a UI if you can't even see it.

Windows 7 here, Bitwig 4.4 & Studio One 4.1.1 (also a no-go)

Bitwig's scan log of the plugin:
    com.bitwig.flt.library.metadata.reader.exception.CouldNotReadMetadataException: could not read metadata: Not a plug-in file

Last edited: Mar 8, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. sjoerdvankreel

sjoerdvankreel Member

@sowhat yes, obviously. I showed the thing to a couple of friends and some people over at the renoise forum, none of them had any trouble loading the plugin (renoise, bitwig, fruity, reaper, ableton) so it came as a bit of a surprise to me that it wouldn't show up in the first place. Anyway I might have a clue as to what's going on. Just asked @BEAT16 to confirm by downloading and installing some additional stuff, if it turns out I'm right, I'll get back to here.

14. DrumcodeX

Introducing the "InfernalChix" version:

[​IMG]

Sorry Sjoerd, don't take it personal, I just couldn't resist... :mates:
    I appreciate your efforts to come up with something for everyone for free :bow:

FYI, Infernal is working without problems in every host I tried so far. Just tested inside Nektarine and Voltage Modular.

[​IMG]

I'm on Windows 10 btw, if it matters.

cheers

15. sjoerdvankreel

sjoerdvankreel Member

@DrumcodeX love it! That's actually one of the nice things about the vst3 sdk, you can swap any resource for anything else no problem :>

16. sjoerdvankreel

sjoerdvankreel Member

Best Answer
    Been bughunting with @BEAT16 for a couple days now, but unfortunately no luck still. In the meantime, I found out a couple unrelated things so I'd just post them here to at least prevent people wasting their time on stuff that's definately not going to work.

- Requires a CPU with AVX2 support. Probably will scale down to AVX1.
    - Win7 & 8 supported in theory, but requires this: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-US/cpp/windows/latest-supported-vc-redist?view=msvc-170.

Also there's a bad bug in V1.1 which crashes the plugin when called with a zero-BPM block. Already fixed, but I'm looking to bundle up a couple of fixes in vnext to at least get most of the failed-to-load stuff out of the way.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  17. DrumcodeX

To let you know @sjoerdvankreel

Infernal running fine in Ableton (v11.2.10)
    But there's a problem in Studio One (v5.2.1), see screenshot

[​IMG]

Makes it impossible to enter the menu
    [​IMG]

Can't initialize the patch or anything, basically means the Synth is barely useable in Studio One.
    There are so many DAWs/Hosts out there that all behave a bit different, so something like this could easily happen in other hosts as well.
    Wouldn't be bad to add an option to have access to this menu not only by right-clicking, to prevent stuff like this.

18. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

@Sjoerd sent me a new version today. With AVX support so that my old AMD can now finally read the plugin.
    EDIT: https://sjoerdvankreel.github.io/infernal-synth/
    So FL Studio now loads the InfernalSynth and you can use it.

19. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

20. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

21. sjoerdvankreel

sjoerdvankreel Member

Hey guys!

Thank you all so much for your time. Took the better half of the week but we finally figured out BEAT16's problem. Apparently I decided to compile for the leatest and greatest CPU instruction set when I started the project little over a year ago, then completely forgot I ever did that. Serves me well for messing with the defaults I guess. @thomas78, @sowhat: I'm hoping that'll fix things for the both of you, too. @DrumcodeX thanks for letting me know, that's valuable info. Put on the todo list.

On the installation side, the thing works on Win7+ (confirmed by at least 1 user :) but requires to install some additional microsoft stuff. I could fix that by providing a separate set of binaries for win10 and win7/8 ("statically linked", in nerd-speak) so that the plugin just runs out of the box on win7, too. Will do that if anyone thinks it's valuable enough, can't be more than a couple hours work. Although it does have the drawback of distributing even more binaries (instrument/fx, versioned/generic, then regular/static). And since noone asked, I'm the first one to hate the generic/versioned distiction but I need it because of the renoise/fruity bug. Doing something as simple as swapping 2 parameters that should in theory be 100% backwards compatible completely destroys automation data on those hosts. Having the host recognize v1 and v2 as different plugins doesn't solve that but at least it allows me to see the old automation data and the new plugin version at the same time in a single project.

Now, on the much-hated UI :) It seems I can group UI feedback pretty much like this:
    1. Don't like the images. I'm really not too worried about this, as drumcode's already demonstated, they can be easily swapped out.
    2. The whole thing's just way too crowded, and here I gotta agree 100%.

So here's what I'm thinking:
    - Split out voice and global sections onto separate tabs.
    - Drop the edit boxes beside each knob, put up just 1 textbox that allows exact-editing of the last tweaked knob.
    - Use the freed-up UI space to increase knob size (by a lot) for easier mouse operation.
    - Severely reduce the use of background images, be it the current ones or something else. Maybe put them up only behind graphs.

I expect the whole UI-rewrite thing to be a multi-month project, if not more. Obviously depends on how much of my spare time I'd put into it. In the meantime, I'm thinking about providing a couple different options for the layout for people to look at. Just really basic paper-and-pencil stuff to compare a couple of UI layout options on a global level before I do any serious programming.

Thanks again everyone.

Cheers!, Sjoerd