Single note minimal techno - looking for tips

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by substorm, May 5, 2013.

1. substorm

substorm Member

Just wondering if anyone has some tips on how to keep minimal techno grooves interesting and evolving without changing notes. I've read somewhere that automating the FM in FM synths can create a nice effect but I am a bit confused by that idea. I was thinking of applying this technique using NI FM8 but not sure what parameters to automate. Sorry for sounding dumb but is "FM" an actual parameter?

I find that note changes take away from that "minimal" sound so I am trying to figure out some other methods for keeping the listener tuned in.

TIA

3. manducator

manducator Member

Here is some info about fm-synthesis:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3yrd2YvkUo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SpTTFNRU54

4. SillySausage

SillySausage Producer

all you secret ham radio guys and girls should know all about frequency modulation :bleh:

5. okki

okki Newbie

...reminds me somehow on the monty python lion tamer sketch

6. Stanton P. Freed

Stanton P. Freed Newbie

Hi Substorm,
    in the FM8 the tweaking of the frequency modulation takes place in Expert mode, in the FM matrix. The oscillators are the operators A to F. You can route them : to the noise/saturation module (X), to the filter (Y), straight in the output (bottom row of the FM matrix), or into another osc (A to F).
    In that last case, the operator/osc becomes a modulator. The amount of modulation applied to the carrier is the number in the junction square of the matrix (the crossing of the lines).
    In your DAW, you should be able to automate the changes you apply to this modulation amount, in other words, to record the increase or decrease of the number in that square box.
    Don't forget to activate the operators/osc (right click on PC), they are not by default.

I hope what I say isn't confusing. You might better watch the Macprovideo tutorial (even if on Wndws) or some other. There are a few good tips on the FM8 being taught.

7. nikon

nikon Platinum Record

And practically no one answered you question...

Here is a great youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/user/FingersInTheNoise

just watch and there you can find answer. Guy make ambient dub techno and do it great job.

8. ( . ) ( . )

( . ) ( . ) Audiosexual

Ok so firstly...minimal techno isn't singal note...

The idea of minimalism is to be able to intelligently progress the sound using unresolving chord progressions and use the very fundamentals of sound to build and progress a track.

Minimal Techno is all about using short grooves, not single notes...

It is always difficult to keep short grooves interesting and varied, but that doesn't mean it is not possible, this is where the challenge of true intellectual composition lies...

A good way to progress short grooves is to bridge the groove together using subtle effects. This can be virtually anything... Let the groove swing along and use short melodies and countermelodies to progress the sound into a breakdown...

There are literally so many ways you can go about this. The best way to learn this is to have an ear for music and understand the idea of composition. Listen to alot of Techno music.

Here are some to get you started:

Pig and Dan - Sly Detector

Whyte Noize - Synthesize(Pig and Dan Remix)

Egbert - Grooveg

Pig and Dan - Something's Going Down Here

Pig and Dan - Broken Melody

Pig and Dan - Junglism

Egbert - Hallucinogeen

Monika Kruse - Wavedancer(Pig and Dan Remix)

Deadmau5 - Complications

9. dokx1

dokx1 Ultrasonic

Interesting, never thought about that, I guess I'll try that, very easy to do in Live's Operator.

10. xsze

xsze Guest

Not exactly what you asked, but slap Turnado and just jam, there are so many effects and slots you can get interesting results, automate various movements and get crazy with it *yes*