Simulating Yamaha DX7, Roland JP-8000, Kurzweil PC1X

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by cs2014, Jun 22, 2014.

1. cs2014

cs2014 Noisemaker

Hi everyone i'm new here.

I wanna get synth sounds with VST instruments in these videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71gDxwjsjlM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COGATLz_zdE

Is it possible to get close sounds to these sounds at least, actually i'm talking about Depeche Mode sounds.

Which VSTi and/or effects do you suggest for this? I know the best way for that is trial and error but i wanna get your opinions too.

3. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

Welcome to the forums. Wow that's OLD school Depeche Mode, first album to be precise. I know Omnisphere has a lot of great sampled synthesizers and with the Boog Moog Tribute library you get a lot of extra patches that could work well.

4. cs2014

cs2014 Noisemaker

Yeah i know Omnisphere but it is huge so i don't wanna download it or buy, so can you suggest something else? I have some VST plug-ins but i wanna get a sound so close (or same) to the videos.

BTW my Youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/user/cs872010

I play keyboard and i share music videos in general.

5. Levitate

Levitate Producer

Greetings cs2014 and welcome to Audiosex!

That top keyboard is a Yamaha DX7,The middle one is a Roland JP-8000,the bottom a Kurzweil PC1X I think.If that helps at all? :unsure:

The Native Instruments FM8 will load the sounds of the top one. Though you'd have to know what patch they were using,may not be internal.
    There's a JP8000 SF2/Giga pack floating around that could help for the 2nd if it's internal.The Kurzweil on the other hand could be tricky unless someone has sampled it.But these are fairly simple sounds you should be able to find a few synths that would get you close I'd think.

Though it doesn't appear he's using the Kurzweil,unless it's for drums in the first vid,could be using it in the 2nd though.

It looks like he clicks a pc to start the sequencer playback in 2nd video,so the Kurzweil or any of those boards in background could very well be in the mix
    as well in the 2nd video.He seems to like hardware synths so I doubt there's any softsynths being used.

I don't know whether or not these were the exact synths Depeche Mode used or not but those are ones in the video.

Best of luck :wink:

6. cs2014

cs2014 Noisemaker

I already have FM8 and yeah it has some good presets. I don't have much time now but in July i will focus on VST plug-ins more than now. But although i wanted to get your opinion. I already know keyboard models in the video yeah they are not soft synths. Can you tell good presets' names in FM8 which are close to these sounds?

7. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

You could try Zebra, I know it can make a lot of these sounds. Really you could make good imitations on just about any synth.

8. cs2014

cs2014 Noisemaker

Yes i know Zebra too but i deleted it before. I think will try to get sounds myself by using trial and error method.

9. Levitate

Levitate Producer

No,not off top of my head,been awhile since I've dug thru FM8. I'd download some DX7 patches and rifle thru em.

Arturia CS80 or Jupiter 8V2 may have something similar,or possibly Novation V-station,Korg M1 or Wavestation too.

I think others could help you on this a lil better than me,I know a lil Depeche Mode but I haven't tried to emulate sounds like these.I could kind of identify what kind of sound they are,like poly square lead,etc.But you could dig thru synths & find poly square leads that sound nothing like that one particular sound.

10. Evorax

Evorax Rock Star

Also check this one out too:

11. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

Yeah the OB-X Pro-II is a great sounding plug. *yes*

12. cs2014

cs2014 Noisemaker

I have it too :) Yeah this plug-in is very cool.

Ok thanks for your help. I don't have Jupiter 8V2 and Arturia CS80, i think i will try them too.

13. ovalf

ovalf Platinum Record

14000 presets for fm8
    but there is a insane larger library of presets converted from yamahas dx line that I donwloaded but not remenber where :dunno:
    One thing for shure: any synth can do that wiht some programming, the real problem is achieve it using fm that is really an alien robot language...

14. lowpass

lowpass Newbie

most of these early depeche mode (vince clarke, "speak & spell") sounds are out of an arp 2600, a roland sh-1 and a moog prodigy. No polyphonic stuff and over all no fm synthesis. I have no proof but i'd bet the "just can't get enough" lead sound is out of an arp 2600. There is an Arturia Emulation of it called "arp 2600" :rofl:

15. cs2014

cs2014 Noisemaker

Thanks for sharing and information

Ok thanks, i will check it out too.