Simple song writer software

Discussion in 'Education' started by grasshopper, May 16, 2024.

1. Lad Impala

Lad Impala Platinum Record

Yess, i saw a interview with Paul telling this story! Pretty impressive, they travelled half uk just to learn the chord

2. clone

clone Audiosexual

EZkeys2 is very nice. It has this feature called Bandmate, and you can drop an audio file onto it for analysis which it uses to generate Midi pattern suggestions which you can also drag out to other tracks. When I first read about it on the website features/information, I figured it would be awful. Most things like it usually are, but it is way better than I expected.

Scaler is the real deal, but some people will say it is too much for them. Another simple one is Riffer, but that one is not for me. Feel Your Sound House Engine, Trance Engine, etc; are about as stripped down as it gets for chord progressions.

3. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

toontrack EZ Piano can help you as easy song writing tool

4. Crinklebumps

Crinklebumps Audiosexual

The Toontrack stuff syncs with each other so you can have EZ drummer, piano, bass working together.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  5. Danie

Danie Ultrasonic

My comment was deleted, I don't know why, but it's okay.
    These tools make you unable to understand the subtleties of music. Music requires a combination of finesse, logical and rational and emotional decisions. These tools are linked to algorithms written by programmers, and if the programmer himself has difficulty understanding the basics and concepts of music, he will convey the same problem to the users, and the users will not be able to solve them. None of the great composers of the world have used these simple tools (Thank God for this). Instead, they have thought about different parts of their music and have been able to make their pieces by thinking a lot, sometimes spending months contemplating their work. But these tools take away the opportunity to think from the users and condemn them to use their output results. These output results are lifeless and devoid of strong connections, leaving users with no ideas how to solve the problem.

6. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Scaler is a comprehensive collection of various keys and scales. What more do you need?

Last edited: May 17, 2024
  7. executioner

executioner Guest

Best Answer
    I don't understand this self-righteous preachiness... The man just wants to write songs, and get his ideas down and/or noodle around. I doubt his goal is to be the greatest composer of this century (no offense OP) or to release a hit.

Anyways, the Toontrack stuff are great, they're like session players once you've got things going, similar to a little jam, a nice way to start somewhere. The NI Session Instruments are also a good supplement for you once you have a progression you're working with. Scaler has a bunch of genre-specific progressions already.

Also, we can recommend all the software in the world but don't let that get in the way of your "intent". It will be much easier to finish your song or at least get an idea down if you already have something you want to "say". Noodling around will make you lose focus on your end goal, especially since your technical ability is limiting you at the moment. Imagine an amateur painter who wants to paint a dog. He doesn't have the technical ability to paint the most realistic depiction of a dog but he's going to try to paint a dog.

There are numerous approaches but if you just have one of these before you jump into tinkering with your DAW it will reduce the bottlenecks that you've experienced:

- A feeling
    - A word or phrase
    - An idea/topic
    - A story

If you can't play the piano yet, use the next-most convenient instrument - your voice. Unless you're a Tame Impala, who can hear an entire, finished, production/song in his head and just goes about getting that sound in his head into his DAW, a workflow like Timbaland may be of use to you. He uses his voice to record sections, melodies, and beatboxing drum parts. The nice thing about this is that if you ever get stuck, navigating your DAW, you can still keep things fluid and ideas flowing. They also function as little reminders arrangement-wise, so you won't lose feel even if you're steering off-course (from finishing your song) learning.

I just remembered this hilarious video but it's a really good example of what you can achieve by using your voice, especially as placeholders till you lay down the proper instrumentation:

8. Magic Max

Magic Max Platinum Record

You describe the depths of music, then you ask for simple software to deal with such complexity. You then generalise by implying that all musicians produce music which is "lifeless and devoid of strong connections" yet most of us here do not find that the case at all. Modern DAW's allow any competent user who is skilled in music and adept at operating the software to create music of any type imagineable and of the highest audio quality.

9. clone

clone Audiosexual

it's the tell-tale sign of an account Foster is using for trolling again. It's so transparent and boring. No creativity.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. grasshopper

grasshopper Member

I agree with you in a way. But not totally. I'm looking for a simpler flowing way to play inside the box. Every one I tried before not only got in the way but created the need to take too many detours , mostly due to my lack of proficiency and knowledge or software not designed for flow. Gadgets and features may sell stuff but poorly placed ones get in the way. I don't know, some do pretty well with those 0s' and 1s. After all its a box it can't feel a thing but realistically guitars can't either. The only instrument that creates as well as goes with the flow is the voice. The brain gets in the way also. If you have to think you can't feel. I have to find the the right one and get good at it. The right one for me is one that doesn't get in the way as much. That is why I posed the question to see if I had overlooked something in my searches. This thread has helped in ways I hadn't thought of. My faith in people has been bolstered a bit.

Last edited: May 17, 2024
  11. grasshopper

grasshopper Member

Thanks, another vote for Toontrack to go along with my memory of it. That helps. And yes Timbaland's workflow sounds interesting to say the least. The tame impala thing tickles me. I've had many times where I do hear the finished product in my head while only in the cord progression stage and I proceed to do everything but get it into the Daw. A sports analogy should come to mind at those times but doesn't. This thread has sharpened my focus to find something then learn it inside and out so I don't have to think about it. Thanks again.

12. Danie

Danie Ultrasonic

The only conclusion I get from the various comments is that you want a tool that only fills the empty spaces.:winker:

istockphoto-1177636384-612x612 (1).jpg

S.jpg

Last edited: May 18, 2024
  13. grasshopper

grasshopper Member

Perhaps the empty space between my ears. As my ears are my biggest asset and that space you may be referring to seems to be my greatest hindrance. Kidding aside you may have hit the nail on the head. I'll know in a year or so.

14. Danie

Danie Ultrasonic

I want smartness and subtleties in every moment of making music!
    The entire experience that mankind has gained during the last 2000 years should be included in the software, not a series of simple useless patterns which have been proposed by illiterate people in the form of different modern genres.

15. Lad Impala

@Danie quit this nonsense.

you know that's not possible

instead of saying impossible things that should be, you should be helping others with what we do have and what is possible.

you yourself wont have the knowledge you're asking for

16. Mynock

Mynock Audiosexual

I think it has been demonstrated statistically that almost no one here gives a shit about what you are looking for (catetechizing popular musicians with compositional approaches taught in music academies). Just grin and bear it, silly sally F(tr)O(ll)STER!
    Apparently you didn't pay attention to the content produced by Jan Val Ellam that I suggested to you. Too bad, it could be a chance for you to "reconnect" with the world.

17. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

There is no ghost in the machine as that would imply a soul, a heart and desire. If a person feels that they must use such a tool they must imbue that cold algorithmic program with hot blood and the sweat of a well lived and a deeply breathed experience, either actual or contrived and dreamed of. Such software should be but a means, a tool to express that heart, soul and desire...nothing more, nothing less. To depend on such a thing to do for you what you should do for yourself would brand you a plagarist, lifting empty words and leave any work spewed from that ill conceived relationship of course less than goodly and purely derived and demonic in the extreme:rofl:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  18. Danie

Danie Ultrasonic

Everything is possible, it just requires deep study and having enough information about a subject. If the people behind these tools don't do what I said, their products will be useless. The creators of these tools have shown that they are not particularly interested in music content and their target customers are the same customers who are looking to fill space randomly. Instead of understanding the music accurately and finding practical and real solutions, the developers are looking for random results with dice-like buttons. When the users of these tools hit the dice button and see different results, they think, wow, what an interesting software that allows them to generate infinite random answers. Any result related to a dice is not a good solution for a musician.
    Whenever you see the dice button on a software, you should suspect the developer. Dice only creates an illusion in the user and deceives him that he has a lot of power, but that power isn't worth a penny because it is completely fake.

19. Lad Impala

ok. but that's ok.

if people just wanna have fun and not care about music, is their right to do so.
    they wanna fill their space randomly, just let them fill their space randomly.
    that's the way things go, is not nice to tell people what they should be filling their spaces with.

you should care about your space and your loved ones, but not every single human being on the internet.
    be nice, and people might be nicer to you too.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  20. Choosename

Choosename Platinum Record