Similar vst like Dynameter?

Discussion in 'Software' started by ryck, Nov 25, 2017.

1. ryck

ryck Guest

Hi guys!

Have similar vst like "Dynameter" for windows?

Thanks!!

3. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

4. ryck

ryck Guest

Hy friend:

I saw that this tool can help control the dynamics. I need something in real time where I can visualize the dynamics. I see some reference that tells me when I'm going or when I'm going well.

5. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

As it has no reference for single instruments, it is only helpful to show the dynamics of the whole song. This way you will not know if single tracks/instruments are overcompressed or need more compression. And unless you will make 12 different mixes for 12 different plattforms, you can use almost any level meter with a peak and rms display. Even that of your DAW (if it has those).

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  6. Darkkman

Darkkman Member

The Brainwork bx_meter, while not showing a history of the dynamics (which is what Dynameter does) it does provide a view of the dynamic range (using slightly different standards) but you can use this to check you're not killing your mix with compression...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. ryck

ryck Guest

My problem is that sometimes I detect distortion, for example in voices. And the volume is fine. And since I do not have good reference speackers. I thought maybe some vst like this could help you detect when you are distorting. I do not know why that happens. If it's because of the equalization or that, but after putting eq, compressor, etc. I hear distortion in the voice, or sometimes on a clean guitar.

8. Satai

Satai Rock Star

Ryck, that's most likely because you're using high-end VSTs that model analog gear behaviour, yet you're not paying much attention to the level of sound going into those plugs. They will distort in that situation. If it's just a plain digital EQ for example, it doesn't really care about the level.But an analog model one, probably does care and quite a lot.

A good starting point for those plugs is to feed them signals at around -18 RMS (that's average level, not peaks) and peaks jumping around -6 dB. The average level doesn't have to be exact, you can feed less for a more relaxed sound, more if you want it to warm up and be more urgent.

Then after the plug did its magic you can boost the signal with a utility/gain plugin back up to whatever levels you need it in your mix. Now you get the nice analog color and no distortions.

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Nope, that's absolutely not what they are made for.
    Another question is, do you hear analog or digital distortion?
    With anaolg distortion Satai is right, if you hear digital distortion you're clipping same plugs and that should totally be avoided.

10. loCurnus

loCurnus Ultrasonic

wavelab

11. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual

I was going to suggest gainstaging as well. I had this same thing on some vocals and it turned out I was hitting a Nebula instance too hard. And not the sweet sound of distortion/saturation, more like digital noise.
    It's clear with the plugin chain turned off/bypassed? If it's there also, you may have recorded too hot.

12. ryck

ryck Guest

Thank you!. Its a very good idea. I working in that now. Yes im used analog emulation vst, i think is that. Now im working in -18 rms whit all that i need in track , next, i do it that you said.

13. ryck

ryck Guest

Maybe, is possible. But in soft part, i listen distorcion, but i think is that say Satai , im using analag eq whit much rms, maybe....14 rms or some like this.

14. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual

Yeah, if soft part is distorting, likely driving that eq too hard.

15. jvne

jvne Kapellmeister

Sounds interesting

16. Barncore

Barncore Platinum Record

You're responding to a 6 year old thread haha.

But just in case anyone else finds this thread through google and they're looking for Dynameter alternatives, the Youlean Meter has a feature that's similar to Dynameter