Sidechaining or Ducking

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by Auen Fred, Jul 26, 2024.

?

Sidechaining or Ducking

1. sidechaining

29.2%
  2. ducking

16.7%
  3. you an idiot ,sidechaining is ducking .

54.2%
  1. Auen Fred

Auen Fred Producer

sry what do mean ? you talking bout rock and stuff genre , stuff with real musicians involved :mad:,even a bunch of them , dont you .
    i just ask cause isnt there totally different approach by workin on synth bass and some 909/808/layered kick and a bass drum kick and a bass guitar or even lead guitar or however its called .

2. Smeghead

Smeghead Producer

Yeah sorry I was being facetious but you're actually correct, I generally do work more with rock style mixes and "real" instruments and I generally don't worry about side chaining, although there are occasions where I will side chain the bass or bass instrument to the kick.

3. Chaindog

Chaindog Platinum Record

90mvu9.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  4. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

Yes, sometimes his tympani would step all over the bass section, so I'm 100% sure that if they had the technology then he would have used it. Symphonies today and those who record them are purist phreeks and are way behind the times. Also, I'm quite certain that the Waldorf Quantum would be his go to synth.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. daxy

daxy Newbie

They are 2 diffident process what i sometimes do ,Side-chain with stock compresor and side-chaining use a phantom 909 that stays mute for consistency
    Hardly ever duck with volume automaton but sometimes use fancy plugin for more expression one of the many shaperbox style haven't decided which I prefer but thermal is nice and crunch for this

6. OOM

OOM Platinum Record

77c7f4cefa14486758801ca1713d1f24138a5a35_2_504x500.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. clone

clone Audiosexual

Some people will lightly side-chain compress entire groups of channels to their kick. I really don't think you'd necessarily want to use an envelope-based tool like Nicky Romero Kickstart, LFO Tool, or other; to do something like that? It's working off purely data, opposed to the compression-based ducking you will get using incoming audio signal as your external side-chain source. (not midi data triggered).

Data can go from 0% to 100% in some immeasurable amount time. When you sidechain a compressor, most of the parameters the user can change are time-related too. The differences begin to go up, in milliseconds only; but people pick various compressors based on such small differences, all the time.

If you are doing a basic kick/bass channels move, that is easy to get right. But with a big move like an entire group, I would setup both and A/B them for awhile. Adjust, or even change the "ducking plugin". You will probably know which sounds better to you very quickly.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Obineg

Obineg Platinum Record

in case this and your orignal question really has a certain degree of seriousness... first of all, sidechaining is a second order technique, and ducking is something you can do to audio signals - with or without sidechaining.

so it is a bit like "riding a bike to get to work or playing soccer?"

and what make you think there is a "duck bass" and that people would do that?

sry for only offering counter-questions so far, maybe i have to offer more later.

9. Obineg

Obineg Platinum Record

ducking usually refers to "using a dynamic gate to lower the amplitude of a music signal according to its own content or some other signal´s" (my words, non-native just as you)

so you are not wrong that you can also do it with lead vs pads or hihats (or rather snare) versus something else.
    (where in the sub bass region you do it to control the overall amplitude of the sum, in the trebles and highs you can mimick the effect of the ears at very high loudness levels, so it is more a psycho acoustic effect here. in all cases it can be a method to creatively reshape the envelopes of the signal content.)

the "talkover" effect used in radio stations is technically very closely related to it, it just adds a sustain and relase time. (and clips the control signal to a garanteed minimum)

ducking is also quite common in the context of echo and reverb effects.

10. mild pump milk

mild pump milk Russian Milk Drunkard

Dependering

11. Auen Fred

Auen Fred Producer

techno ? ...but ruther with sc compression ....but yeah then i used a wrong term .

12. Obineg

Obineg Platinum Record

of course i know what you meant. i just always feel the need to dissuade people from the idea that you must do something like others do it. you can do what you want.

the sonical difference between using sidechaining to duck A from B and compressing the sum of them can be quite small.

you already mentioned the option to use midi to change the gain of B yourself, that can aso be an option to reach certain things, and applied to static sample loops one might not be able to tell the difference.

13. Auen Fred

Auen Fred Producer

14. DJ PUKKA

DJ PUKKA Member

is this sidewinding or sucking.

15. Auen Fred

Auen Fred Producer

sidewinding
    [​IMG]