Sidechaining or Ducking

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by Auen Fred, Jul 26, 2024 at 7:48 PM.

?

Sidechaining or Ducking

1. sidechaining

27.3%
  2. ducking

18.2%
  3. you an idiot ,sidechaining is ducking .

54.5%
  1. Auen Fred

Auen Fred Kapellmeister

Sidechaining or Ducking ?
    what do you prefer ?
    ...and what duck u are using ?
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  3. Sinus Well

Sinus Well Audiosexual

You are an idiot. Ducking is sidechaining, but sidechaining is not ducking! :bleh:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. mk_96

mk_96 Audiosexual

Gonna go with sidechaining since it's the broader term here, kinda like choosing between ice cream and vanilla ice cream. Also i have bad experiences with ducks, they always try to bite me, fuck ducks.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  5. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

When a chain from the side is coming at my head, my father taught me how to duck.

6. Auen Fred

Auen Fred Kapellmeister

when to use dm duck/volumeshaper/gatekeeper , when trackspacer and when sc comp ?
    just a matter of taste ?....or workflow'wise ?
    besides bass , what do you guys duck ?

7. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

shaperboxing. I throw Shaperbox 3 on everything these days. Lazy af

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  8. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Ah, it's a damn trick question. :) You can side-chain a gate, and then it becomes a jumping ostrich.

9. Lad Impala

Lad Impala Platinum Record

When you duck all the frequencies is a way more noticeable effect.
    if your ducking specific frequencies, like trackspacer or soothe, is gonna feel more transparent.

that's the difference, and it is a matter of taste and genre.

10. Auen Fred

Auen Fred Kapellmeister

info overkill and not my genrepool and im not a engineer(apparently) but found a interesting post some readers or user maybe find interesting

where to use sidechain gate instead of sidechain compression

https://www.reddit.com/r/audioengin...e_to_use_sidechain_gate_instead_of_sidechain/

I love sidechain gating and use it way more than sidechain compression!

A lot of the ideas have already been mentioned, but ways I use them:

• triggering white or pink noise for a snare hit is a good one, have used that in the past

• also triggering a pure sine wave tuned to the pitch of the kick drum to add more bottom end

• using it to "tighten up" parts rhythmically. Usually this will involve not having the gate close all the way (to -100dB or whatever) but instead reduce to -3 to -6dB, or sometimes more. Examples: -- tightening between instruments (kick and bass, guitars and drums, etc) -- tightening up doubled vocal parts. If vocal parts are a tiny bit staggered rhythmically, using sidechain gating like this can help to make them feel "tightened up." Just sidechain from the most rhythmically consistent track and reduce -3 to -6 dB

• Giving something like hi-hats or OHs more "feel" if they're flat or mechanical (I use often on drum machine HHs). Set the gate closed at around -3 and then sidechain from the snare drum (short attack and adjust release to taste) to make the part more dynamic and punch with the snare.

• Adding transients that cut through. One example: I felt the bass part was a bit weak. Bussed it to a parallel channel, pitch-shifted up an octave, added saturation and hi-shelf boost, and then sidechain gated so signal only triggered the transient (1ms attack time, very short hold time ~20 or 30ms, decay adjusted as short as possible while still sounding natural). Bring this channel up subtly under the original.

• I recently used it to get one string part to imitate the envelope of a pad. String part had long held chords, pad part had some rests in between, gave the gate a very long decay time and triggered from the pad part so the strings would decay with the pad.

• EDIT: Duh, gated reverb.

I tend to use sidechain compression when I want to clear one thing out of the way of another (ex. sidechain compress bass to make room for the kick). I tend to use sidechain gate when I want things playing at the same time / louder at the same time (above examples).

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  11. Auen Fred

Auen Fred Kapellmeister

i only used sc compression (prefered with Sly-Fi Deflector) or track spacer to duck bass under a kick . pulling the feckn kick out .

12. Sayan B

Sayan B Ultrasonic

I call it Soothe-ing.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  13. clone

clone Audiosexual

Yup. A compressor like Pro-C2 can even illustrate easily the difference between a plugin reacting to it's own Internal Sidechain and External Sidechain control. There are reverb plugins with parameters for ducking using their own internal sidechains.

You can even use a "ducking" plugin (an enveloper) like Kickstart triggered by an external sidechain. Or some other processor that may be reacting to a sidechain signal with no gain reduction or shaping at all.

it's like slang. :suicide: