Sidechain compression - stabilising perceived volume between song parts

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by TOTAL, Apr 13, 2023.

1. TOTAL

TOTAL Noisemaker

So here is the deal. synths group with a compressor sidechained to a kick or drum track source sounds much louder in those song parts when the drums stop playing, an obvious result of the compressor's threshold no longer being reached.
    How to best control this synths loudness throughout the whole track?

Thanks.

3. madbuzzin

madbuzzin Platinum Record

I would automate the mix knob. When I wanna do this I use that kickstart 2 I got from my sister for the very reason you are talking about. I dont typically make music that utilizes this technique. I like using the technique you are talking about in a subtle way on a drum bus, where I have the kick affect the whole kit for a rhythmic bonus

4. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

You could just automate the makeup gain of the compressor in the sections without drums.

Or you could just automate the bypass for the plugin in the sections without drums. In this case, gainstaging with/without the plugin enabled needs to be correct for this to work properly.

5. krameri

krameri Platinum Record

Hey man. It could be that you have auto-gain on, or on the wrong setting. Auto-gain keeps the volume the same, or at least it attempts to. But that only works when your compressor is compressing the track without sidechaining. So turn the auto-gain off and try again

6. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Ducking + volume automation.
    Or you just add ghost-kicks to further duck the synths, even though the drums are not playing (if that's what you are asking).

7. TOTAL

TOTAL Noisemaker

So automate gain, or mix, deactivate auto-gain or keep sc feed playing and mute rather than stop. Thanx All.