Sidechain Compression in FL Studio

Discussion in 'FL Studio' started by kingjamm, Nov 18, 2013.

1. kingjamm

kingjamm Newbie

Okay here's the deal... I badly need help, no shitty stuff please, and I'm pretty sure that
    I've used the forum search and I didn't see any results regarding this...

Here's the thing...
    I've been using FL Studio for quite a while now and I was just wondering
    how dafuq do I sidechain? Seriously...
    NO FRUITY LIMITER, NO PEAK CONTROLLER

What I really wanted to use is iZotope Alloy 2 for this...
    I tried every thing that I know routing this bus to this bus to I'm so fucked up bus...
    I can't seem to get it...

PLEASE HELP... O.o

Main thing if you didn't get what I mean,
    Sidechain compression using:
    FL Studio X iZotope Alloy "2" (There's some shit about the first Alloy but I'd rather used "2")

BADLY NEED OF YOUR HELP GUYS...
    THANKS IN ADVANCE

ONE LOVE
    GOOD VIBES

3. Evorax

Evorax Rock Star

Man, forget about the classic compression sidechain method. Now you can do sidechain with a volume envelope inserted right on the track you want to sidechain, the great vst for this is ~Cable Guys Volume Shaper 3~, even David Guetta said he uses it in his productions lately.(In a Burn Studio Residency session he talked about it).
    Also, this CableGuys company made a simplified version of Volume Shaper, especially for sidechain function, called "Nicky Romero Kickstart". You just have to insert it on the specific channel, no routing needed, and you can't find something more easier and faster than Kickstart for sidechain-like effect.

4. smartlad

smartlad Member

Well if David Guetta said he uses it then..... :rofl:

What if he wants his lead to trigger the sc comp on a reverb, how will that plug do that? :dunno:

Sorry I'm still no help either, I don't use fl.

5. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

David Guetta: where music comes to die.

I'm just kidding, no hate mail please.

6. Army of Ninjas

Army of Ninjas Rock Star

Hahahaha!!

7. Evorax

Evorax Rock Star

Mainly the EDM producers/dj abuse the sidechain functions the most, so i gave him a example of famous artist which doing that using the specified vsts. :bow:

8. Evorax

Evorax Rock Star

As i said, you can insert VolumeShaper3 or Kickstart on any kind of channel (no matter if is bus, aux, master, etc.) and then make a automation track of the host bypass of the plugin, making it to be activated only when you need it.(it's so simple.. no routing required) *yes*
    About David Guetta, he's a edm producer/dj, so while the most of the edm producers abuse the sidechain function, i gave him a example. Even if David Guetta music seems wrong, we must admit that the audience majority just contradict our opinions by listening to him and making him milions of views on Youtube and selling. As much as we would hate him, he still went further than us, he's famous, rich and collab-wise breaker. I don't say i like him or hate him, but i respect his work and achievements. :wink:

9. digrev

digrev Noisemaker

10. smartlad

smartlad Member

You've missed my point completely.. I gave the example of a lead being used as a trigger as unlike a kick it may differ every time it activates the compressor (not just the timing but the shape).

Believe it or not, people actually use sidechain compression for other things than ducking out of the way of a kick in edm or for that 4/4 pumping.

Anyway, the op still don't have the answer to his question :rofl:

11. dokx1

dokx1 Ultrasonic

A lot of possibities for SC (at least in Live): SC-Compressor, Max4Live-Device, LFO-Tool, Volume Shaper - or you could just draw in the desired volume automation by hand. :wink:

A lot of compressors have a SC option, Fabfilter Pro-C for example, or Big Blue Compressor.

12. dokx1

dokx1 Ultrasonic

Yes, with EQing/filtering you can use any signal to sc sth. :wink:

Here's the answer (it's also called RTFM :bleh: ):

13. kingjamm

kingjamm Newbie

Though I would try this out because of desperation
    I would still seek for any other ways...
    The David Guetta thingy went in me... :wink: :rofl:

Pretty much yeah. :rofl:

I'm currently learning Cubase, though I have my limits coz' it's my first Legit DAW
    and it's also just a Cubase "LE 5" version...
    Anyway I'm 100% sure if I do it on Cubase I would have no problem
    but still, I want to learn the ways of the Force I mean the Fruits...
    The Fruity Loops... Lol. :)

14. kingjamm

kingjamm Newbie

Exactly, that's why I want to learn the compressor's way on sidechaining
    it's not always about EDM stuffs...

15. vaiman

vaiman Platinum Record

Is it a fake DAW?

16. Evorax

Evorax Rock Star

You can check the kick waveform first if you add a "VolumeShaper" insert on it's channel in bypass mode so you can see how it looks before drawing a volume envelope on the bass track insert(if you're a good sketcher, then it should be easier for you). I don't meant about VolumeShaper being exclusively for kick&bass sidechain, it can be used even as gate, lfo, and alot more stuff. I always check how the waveform of a channel that i intend to duck looks before drawing the envelope in VolumeShaper, to be able to make space between instruments exactly in a organized mode. If you're not that advanced user in the VolumeShaper use, it doesn't mean that it sucks... if you would learn all the posibilities, then you would realise that it's also alot more faster when it is combined with the drag&drop feature of S1.
    Also when it comes about specific frequency regions to duck, then i agree with a multiband or a single-band comp which allows you to choose the freq. region to duck in sidechain.

17. smartlad

smartlad Member

I know how it works, I own and use lfo tool a hell of a lot. Again you're missing my point and for said example, I think sc compression wins every time. No automation, no drawing no checking waveforms just pick your trigger and send it to the compressor. Your trigger could trigger the compressor in a variety of different ways over 4 bars for example, how long's that going to take you to draw in?? Each to their own I guess.

18. Evorax

Evorax Rock Star

The draw is not freehand as the selection tool option in PhotoShop, lol, sometimes i use only 3-4 clicks to shape it as i want, even saving presets that i can load them instantly straight from the vst browser with no tweaking, depending on the material, so no trigger routing or other tweaking (and yes, here i mean for the mainstream/basic sidechain stuff you need), also you can make ghost sidechain for pads or bass tracks, with no extra kick track needed. But when it comes about advanced sidechain functions, requiring a particular frequency region to be ducked, then yea', a multiband comp or a single-one with good features is the way to do it. But for basic sidechaining stuff, i can't see a compressor faster than the VolumeShaper, also the compressor have that 1ms or 0.5ms of native minimum attack delay, while VolumeShaper has no kind of delay, and yes, you can use VolumeShaper to be triggered in different lenght ways as you can see in my attached image below (let's see if you can say now that VolumeShaper is not versatile with all these options )

I can even bet against you, if we test a same task/material as a competition to see who set the fastest sidechaining and also effective in a right way, be sure that i'll be blindly fast doin' it with VolumeShaper.(i guess "Volume" part of the plugin name makes you think it's a simple and useless tool in the sidechain world, but belive me, you underestimate it)

Attached Files:

• VS.jpg
      VS.jpg
      File size:
      146.6 KB
      Views:
  19. smartlad

smartlad Member

Yes that's it. Thanks man I understand now I'm such a tool :sad:

Next time I purchase another vst like this I'll make sure to do some research into the plugin instead of buying one because "lfo" sounds cooler then "volume".

Silly me *no*

20. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

smartlad
    Yeah the Volume Shaper would be your best bet here because it offers way more flexibility than the Romero plug. Next time make a post first, we'd be happy to help in any way that we can. You're part of a great community, utilize it just like they've utilized it when they needed. :mates:

21. smartlad

smartlad Member

I was being sarcastic *yes* :rofl:

I fully understand how and what these plugs have to offer and lfo tool is worth every penny (I did research and try before I decided which one to buy). The op was after advice on how to do a certain task a certain way and these plugs aren't always the answer. evorax still missed the point on the example I gave a second time hence the above reply. His photo proved that he didn't get it. Think about how a vocal or lead sound used as a trigger over 4 bars for example would effect a compressor over that time. Each word, phrase or note is guna be different and the compressor will react differently to each one. To emulate this with one of these tools you would need to draw so many different shapes over those 4 bars and how do you do that to match what the vocal or sound would be inputting to the compressor each time?