Shut down of my Studio - ( bcuz of corona)

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by 0on3, Apr 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. meatball

meatball Noisemaker

Commercial studio in a "hot zone" here. Completely shut down except for remote work.

Use of UV-C light in the studio is probably not advisable for the same reason it isn't recommended for cleaning N95 face masks. The same UV light that is capable of killing off the virus is also capable of rapidly degrading any number of plastics found in the studio-- including mic capsules. I'd think twice before subjecting my expensive equipment to damage from harsh UV-C rays. The affect of UV light on plastic is well documented. Another disadvantage to UV-C disinfection is the fact that the virus must be directly subjected to the light. Subjecting all surface areas in the studio where the virus may lurk for an adequate period of time is next to impossible.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  2. Gyro Gearloose

Gyro Gearloose Audiosexual

and thats why shut down until 2022
    makes sense ...didnt it

3. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

Well, if you're that paranoid about surfaces wear rubber gloves. But- they can actually be more instrumental in transporting the virus about unless you change them every place you go. Makes more sense to be mindful about putting your hands on your face and just wash them after you touch things.

4. realitybytez

realitybytez Audiosexual

i think there's probably a lot of people scared of you singing into your own microphone. if that's what we're calling it now.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. meatball

meatball Noisemaker

Contaminated surfaces would seem to be less of a concern than droplet or airborne spread, especially in the confined space of a studio. The LA Times, reporting on a "super-spreading" event, stated that "the forceful breathing action of singing dispersed viral particles” resulting in 45 infections and two deaths. Furthermore, the New England Journal of Medicine found that the virus can remain suspended in the air under ideal conditions for up to three hours. “One could imagine that really trying to project your voice would also project more droplets and aerosols”.

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2020-03-29/coronavirus-choir-outbreak.
    And here: https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/01/us/washington-choir-practice-coronavirus-deaths/index.html

6. garfinkle

garfinkle Platinum Record

I do. My partner and I own and run a post production facility with 7 video suites and 3 audio studios. We're still recording foley for films, recording VO's for commercials and documentaries and recording and writing soundtracks. If you don't have a process in order (which you clearly don't) then I suggest you are doing the right thing by shutting down. Proper sanitation, isolation and common sense go a long way.

Good luck with your enterprise.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. recycle

recycle Guest

By chance, are you selling any gear?

8. krakdhaus

krakdhaus Kapellmeister

I used to tour with GG Allin. I know those sound guys used those same mics the night after we played their clubs... I'd rather take my chances with the Covid...

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. e-minor

e-minor Platinum Record

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. Polomo

Polomo Guest

If Corona was a bigger threat I would say yes . But ,
    1. (Surface are relatively unproblematic it's a virus infection, trough air and droplet infection )
    2. If you look at euromomo you'll see it's the same as 2017, 2018 and 2019 so no really biggie here. (The good thing here is that all deaths are in and no one say that a cancer patient died on corona )
    3. It's just because our health system supports any crazy stupid overpriced therapy on one hand and on the other hospitals are really low standards. Most hospitals can only tread one or two patients with corona
    And that’s why a shut down is just another crazy example of blind actionism.:deep_facepalm:

Euromomo.jpg
    http://euromomo.eu/

• List
  11. substorm

substorm Member

Dude! if you've survived touring with GG Allin (for those who don't know him, fucker ate his own shit on stage), your immune system could probably even withstand AIDS.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. ThrashHead

ThrashHead Platinum Record

Viruses are not alive. They don't "live" on anything.
    They need a host.

I hear ya on the fear-mongering, it's insane. People are fuckin' sheep.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  13. Polomo

Polomo Guest

Yes but it's not so easy
    Viruses are the most alive, dead things in existence:winker:

1. Living things must maintain homeostasis
    Verdict: Fail
    2. Living things have different levels of organization.
    Verdict: Pass
    3. Living things reproduce.
    Verdict: Maybe
    4. Living things grow.
    Verdict: Fail
    5. Living things use energy.
    Verdict: Maybe
    6. Living things respond to stimuli.
    Verdict: Unknown
    7. Living things adapt to their environment.
    Verdict: Pass

https://www.khanacademy.org/test-prep/mcat/cells/viruses/a/are-viruses-dead-or-alive

But the most important is ,it can be "killed"/inactivated in a similar way like bacteria.(heat, gamma rays, alcohol (only coated ),UV light , Microwaves, Soap .
    And even the effects of some rhinoviruses and pneumococcus bacteria are similar

just saying :rofl:

14. Stryves

Stryves Platinum Record

I really don't feel as bad about my fetish anymore. Glad to hear it's everyone doing them!

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. 0on3

0on3 Platinum Record

Everyone's posting very interested points of views and its all good !
    We all have to decide for ourselves , how to deal with this crap in our own way.

I tell ya , Ive been VERY BLESSED with a wonderful client list of bands & individuals who have
    recorded at my place because they love my approach to recording. So , they show up year after year,
    to do demo's for shows or even just a few tunes to go out and get a job. And when its real serious ,
    my clients know I can take them from multi-tracking , to rendering , to editing & mastering a final
    treasure , they'll be proud of for years to come.

I closed down my place , I guess in "respect" for them all , of course I dont think it'll be for a very
    long time , but I care about the bands I have to record. Many of them are old friends and some come from
    a generation of 'fathers' I used to record ...'and now Im recording their kids who have grown and have their
    own bands now , and on and on and on !

ok so , everyone please stay safe and healthy , and write music. cuz thats all that ever really matters , yeah !

:mates:

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
  16. Paul Pi

Paul Pi Audiosexual

Whereas most people merely count sheep when they can't sleep... for some connoisseurs, it's party time!
    journey-to-the-centre-of-the-sheep.png

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  17. Polomo

Polomo Guest

That’s wrong my friend.
    Antibiotic only work on bacteria.
    Antidote on poisons

Antivirals or (Virusstatika where I came from) are against Viruses
    (but this is a whole other topic because it's more a thing of inhibiting the effects than kill the virus
    antibiotics kill bacteria in it's host )

I understand what you mean but there are still some rules which applies even without newest researches.

Yes but it's the less aggressive method for this problem.

A simple surface disinfection is most of the time enough (On my gear I can say Thanks to the removable pop filters this problem would be not so big and if they go from dark gray to light gray who cares )

Only Gamma radiation would be better for the mic . But I don't think most of us got access to this

Heat, Microwave will kill the electronics.
    Alcohol can give a Short circuit (special if correct used with a 70% 30% mixture with water)
    same with soap and water.

Or just quarantine the mics for 10 days (but with this working will be nearly impossible )

If you got a better solution tell us.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2020
  18. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

When I was on the road with a PA company, we'd constantly clean the mics with Listerine and a toothbrush!
    We'd unscrew them and clean the grills. I doubt there was enough alcohol to really kill everything, but they smelt nice. And it's more than most companies were bothering to do back then!

• Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  19. Infidel

Infidel Producer

I don't understand how a mic with a virus on it can get someone sick if there is a pop screen between them. The client doesn't touch it. The engineer can wear gloves when setting up or tearing down. Make homemade pop screens for each session out of nylons attached to something round. Look it up online. The proximity to an infected client will get you sick but probably not another client.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

Totally is.