Shut down of my Studio - ( bcuz of corona)

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by 0on3, Apr 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 0on3

0on3 Guest

Any of you engineers had to stop all sessions or close down your studio ?
    Well , I had to , due in part greatly to being a "multi-track engineer".
    I werk with , ( and make my living ) ; recording real musicians whom book time
    at my studio.

This has put a small 'hurt' on my wallet and bank account because of my shut down.
    "I dont want this corona shit ALL OVER MY MICROPHONES !!"

I dont know about anyone else , but I have a serious fortune wrapped up in mic's !
    I cant afford this virus all over them , or really .... any of my equipment !

I spoke with a friend of mine who is also an engineer assistant at another studio
    in a different city then mine. I told him why I shut down & he immediately informed
    the studio he werked at about the 'mic thing' ...... "they shut down operations that
    day !!

LOL !!

So , if any of you guys remain open for bizz , your putting yourself & your clients at

a VERY HIGH RISK !

Not to mention , this virus can live ALL OVER your mic's , the pop screen , your mic stands, ect ....
    " FOR MONTHS !!"

And I dont think many of you have that new windex microphone disinfectant spray ..... huh !@#?

Anyway , just some food for thought here , maybe help a few engineers out to take this seriously.

p3ACE! ..... :mates:

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Polomo

Polomo Guest

Sorry that’s just BS

Table I. Persistence of coronaviruses on different types of inanimate surfaces
    Human coronaviruses can remain infectious on inanimate surfaces for up to 9 days.
    (https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0195670120300463)

Just buy some UV Lights

This study showed a greater than or equal to a 99.94% reduction in Coronavirus after 45 min. and one hour exposure to UV-C irradiation
    (https://www.mrsa-uv.com/cronavirus-cov.html)

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 3
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  4. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

And even before theses measures they were most likely not contagious. In fact scientists never found infectious material on plastic/metal in the wild (but in the lab). They only found non-infectious parts of the virus's RNA. Said this, with @Polomo measures you're totally safe.

BTW.: Every time someone uses a microphone, it becomes heavily contaminated with bacteria and viruses anyway. Some of them are quite nasty fellows. Cleanliness is therefore mandatory. At least this we learnt from Corona pandemia.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 4
    • List
  5. odod

odod Rock Star

sorry to hear this unca Z .. hugs

6. realitybytez

realitybytez Audiosexual

i used to go to a barber who used the same scissors and electric clippers on every customer without ever sanitizing in between customers. not sure how he got or kept his license.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  7. 0on3

0on3 Guest

hahaaha .. wow !!

There's nooooo way , any of you own and operate a recording facilty/building/multi-trk studio !
    NOWAY!!

not with that kind of outlook ... noway !!!!

8. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

The best thing to do is to calm down and think about how it is possible that highly complex machines in hospitals don't have to be destroyed after every use, even though they are contaminated with harmful germs. It's called disinfection.
    What is possible in large hospitals, you should be able to do with your few microphones.
    You are not the only one who is confronted with these or similar problems.
    All companies and self-employed people worldwide have to think about how to reorient themselves in this situation. So you can be expected to do the same. Sorry.

btw: I'm operating a small business with 15 people. And we're shut down. At least our facilities. But we found a workaround and will survive the pandemia. With losses, but we'll survive.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
    • Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

Our (studio) business is cut way back for obvious reasons. But we still have a few people that want to get things done. Where I live (in the US) two adjacent counties where I work and live have a population of about 390,000 people and together 123 confirmed cases of corona. That's 1-2-3, no zeros on the end. Even with other cases that might exist due to lack of testing our infection rate is statistically effectively zero. 11 deaths, 53 recoveries (as of just now, just looked). We at the studio and out current clients are all reasonably young and reasonably healthy. We are all practicing social distancing everywhere we can; I really only go to work or the store. When together we don't touch, we don't have coughs or sneezes, we wash our hands a lot. We assign a mic to each person that's "theirs" and we replace pop screens. The risk just cannot get any lower, at least for now, in our situation. To think we should suspend operations completely is utter madness. Now, that's us. Situations are different different places. New York, for example, is playing by a different set of rules right now. But trying to make all citizens behave according to a blanket standard with no regard to facts, reason, or actual local realities- that's the real problem. Some people need to get a grip. IMHO of course.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  10. doctorG

doctorG Kapellmeister

Well my friend (my personal friend) sorry ta hear that mate. All tryin ta keep operating at a level "altitude" with the world blowing up around us. Not sure where we go in the meantime

Stay safe...stay well....N Hell Yeaz to life!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  11. kitvonk

kitvonk Guest

Shit, brah - pfft - the future is DJ Lan parties. thanks to some killer snapchat gigs i've hosted with my homies, i'm getting calls to take up residency ad SPACE in Ibiza. Virtual DJ sets and doin' youtube chitty chitty chat chats - that's where all the action's at at.

This is a golden age of opportunity - and it's ripe for the picking, belonging to the innovators. Downloading *OUTPUT right now...

12. kitvonk

kitvonk Guest

plus, some of the drag and drop online mastering services are now outperforming AiR studios and Power Station... it's all about the bitrate baby

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  13. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

One thing's for sure. We need a replacement for the "I wash my hands of this" expression. :rofl:

14. kitvonk

kitvonk Guest

lately, a lot of so-called mastering engineers are left fething coffee - the only knobs they're tweaking are twerking the artist's nipples - while Martin Garrix selects a new Ozone preset...

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  15. kitvonk

kitvonk Guest

looking at the Beatport top ten - I see 6 right there - done in Wavelab Elements.

16. Stryves

Stryves Platinum Record

That sucks 0on3, playing it safe makes sense though, we're all waiting to find out what the long term effects of COVID-19 actually are, physically and financially. I think a lot of small businesses in my area are folding in this, just living day by day and this was a dagger.

One restaurant was complaining on FB about the 6 month deferral of payments, but where are they going to get the money to pay for these 6 months with next to no customers now? They're on UberEats, DoorDash etc, but just the costs of the ingredients anymore considering stuff goes bad and can't buy in bulk for few orders.

Wish you luck!

17. ThrashHead

ThrashHead Platinum Record

You can sanitize with UV. Just sayin'

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  18. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

Consider yourself fortunate you aren't in complete lockdown. Here the virus is SO serious, only emergency workers are allowed out of their homes for more than a 30 minute a day walk!

In your position though, I would allow the studio to be open but have someone like this after EVERY session:-
    https://www.ecms-ltd.co.uk/coronavirus-deep-cleaning/

But under no circumstances would anyone be allowed to record vocals unless they supplied their own mics!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  19. Sheb Shabadoobeedoo

Sheb Shabadoobeedoo Member

I happen to be reading this comment, and I happen to own some UV lights, because I screen print shirts. The thing is, I sort of played a guitar that wasn't mine, if you understand me. Do you know if this uV business works for Uncle G?

20. ThrashHead

ThrashHead Platinum Record

Mate, do some research on "Ultraviolet Germicidal Irradiation" - It's one of the most powerful sanitation options available. Put something in sunlight and it gets disinfected... because of the UV. Not saying do that, just using it as an example. You can get all kinds of different UV devices/lamps for this specific purpose.

21. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

I'm scared to even sing into my own personal microphones because I don't want to get infected.

• Funny Funny x 10
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List