Should new members be prevented from posting for a period of time in order to prevent spam?

Discussion in 'Forum News and Updates' started by TonyG, Apr 2, 2018.

?

Should new members be prevented from posting for a period of time in order to prevent spam?

1. Yes

37.9%
  2. No

62.1%
  1. Audiozer

Audiozer Kapellmeister

Many thanks, Tony. Catch you again.

2. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

Agreed but apparently this (these?) idiot seems to have a lot of free time to waste...

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. safran5020

safran5020 Platinum Record

I think IP filtering is part of the solution among others.
    It might not solve the entire problem but it would help and it is easy to implement.

my 1/2 penny.

4. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Guest

Each person has a qualifying title depending on how many posts they make.
    Titles for example from Noisemaker to Audiosexual... This includes replies to existing posts and newly created posts, the latter being what I think people are concerned about.
    The only "fair" way would be to limit the amount of NEW threads anyone can make in a single 24hr period and make it for everyone that is not a moderator or administrator.
    That way there is no discrimination and the same rules go for everyone. Most people are rarely ever going to do much more than 5 new threads in a day. Replies to threads should not be limited. If there are "friends of friends" as some people fairly said, then if it is a series of articles say Like a Part 1 - Part 10, then they can ask their friends to post the remainder if it is valuable to the community at large.
    As another alternative, maybe there should be an information depot forum area clearly called "How to" that allows for more than 5 new threads.

In saying the above, I do agree that nobody should be penalised for the actions of a couple of people that do not care how any one else feels. One bad apple never spoils the whole bunch unless people let them.
    :)
    Cheers

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

I voted yes because this forum could fall with two Von Steyrs.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  6. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

judge them of what they actually post, give warning once they spam. then delete their account if they dont listen after being warned.

7. Nick12

Nick12 Platinum Record

1. If these spammers have any links posted you can always set them to nofollow. Therefore search engines will not follow them.

2. What about e-mail activation(this is likely already there, but sorry I couldn't remember), CAPTCHAS or challenge questions for registrations?

3. This already has been said, but maybe don't allow posting after a few minutes have been by sounds actually not like a bad idea?

Or make a maximum amount of threads you could make in one day. I think new users never makes more than at least 3 threads in one day? These Spammers do. So I think that will only hurt real spammers and not real or new users. You can of course remove all these securities after a certain amount of posts or something. After it's clear that it's a real user.

4: You can add hidden checkboxes. You will know it's a bot if it gets through it, right?

Haha, you got me right here.

Two Voyn Steyer's? Uhm, I wish I could make myself into two different versions. Can I maybe apply to have the second Voyn Steyer with me? Don't worry. I will thread him very well. And of course you're always welcome to visit him anytime :)

And we will help you and your team, SAiNT! We will all send our positive energy and help with fighting them. Stronger together! :)

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  8. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

I don't disagree with the premise, but I was made to feel welcome here from my very first post. Consequently, it is the ONLY forum I use ,and to be perfectly honest I joined several, some where I needed advice, some where I had advice, others when I might have wanted to download something but wanted to say 'hello' first out of politeness, and I don't even remember the usernames i made up, let alone passwords.

This place, at least for me (I wont speak for anyone else) is something I look forward to visiting whenever I have a spare moment, and that is partly due to those I meet on here, but also down to how things are run, and I would be uncomfortable knowing someone had to go through a whole cold, insensitive and unwelcoming process, just before they are even allowed to come on here and be part of things!

Anyway, Hackers/ spammers, or whatever they call themselves win when you bow to their wishes. It's worth not implementing those changes even if it is just to spite them, no?

You're very welcome. Differences of opinion are what make the world go round. It would soon get boring if everyone agreed on everything.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  9. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

ummmm. Cant you just switch your router off and on again for a new IP address?

10. LuckySevens

LuckySevens Platinum Record

My real IP address is blocked through the use of a VPN (and the VPN's IP is always changing), so that won't work... but I agree that a post from a newbie should be approved before released for public viewing. The newbie (who posts for the very first time) wouldn't know that they are being "verified", so that post can be captured and moderated before release. I think, if a newbie is legit, you will be able to tell from their first post (hopefully) especially if they don't know they are being checked.
    This way, a new poster can't just "hit and run" and if they are serious about membership, they'll stick around.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. Piccolo

Piccolo Newbie

I understand the concerns, but may I say, when I first joined it was because I was in need of an urgent answer to my problem which unfortunately I could not get anywhere else on the internet. The responses that I received were speedy, friendly and courteous and answered my problem for which I am most grateful. In my case I regularly read the forums but rarely post unless necessary and I have something to offer. To prevent people like myself would defeat the object of such a useful forum of like-minded people, whom I am pleased to call friends and colleagues.

12. Lambchop

Lambchop Banned

I'm guessing they use computers, which are surprisingly good at automating boring tasks.
    [​IMG]

13. TonyG

TonyG Guest

@Sylenth.Will.Fall
    I wish everyone felt about it the same way that you and respected different point of views. We would be living in a better world. I asked the community and the community has spoken. The poll shows a two-third majority against a waiting period. Even though it is a very small sample I do believe this trend will continue. What has surprised me the most is the main reasoning posited in support of being against the waiting period: that newcomers will be hurt if not allowed to post right away because they would not be able to find a solution to their respective problems.
    That situation can be solved in the majority of cases by exercising due diligence. I always have been a promoter of searching firstly the Forum for a solution and asking the question afterwards, if a solution was not found. How many Omnisphere, Kontakt and Maschine threads do we have asking the same questions about installation and operation over and over again? The Forum is inundated with such threads. These threads, more likely than not, were started by a new member who simply was too lazy to search in the Forum or does not know how to navigate the Forum.
    A waiting period is not preventing new members from searching the Forum for the answers to their problems. Nobody is saying that new members can not have access to the information contained within the Forum. Those 2 things are completely different. That difference is what the majority has failed to grasp.

Finally, I would like to extend big thanks to everyone that contributed, specially those who voted.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2018
  14. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

I can understand the concern frankly, it's annoying when those things happen.
    But they happen rarely and we have a rule for it, the offender(s) get banned, even if it doesn't happen right away.
    The spamming, the trolling or the horrible and cowardly habit of using multiple accounts and going from a nasty lamb to a laughable (cy)blorg, we have to suffer all this crap that break our rules but sooner or latter it stops...Before coming back. It's like a bad cold or something. Newbies should definetly not suffer the consequences for a few fools, it kind of goes against the spirit of AS, it's opened to all.

The solution to every problems on the net isn't always new rules. It kills the vitality of places like ours.
    It's in the nature of a virtual place where annonimity is fully possible to contain the worst that humanity can offer. Since the masks are on any scrupules to being a jerk fall off. It's the nasty "possible side effect" to the great things that the net contributes to offer.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  15. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

??? You don't have to be a member to search the forum, it's open for everyone to look in.

16. TonyG

TonyG Guest

@No Avenger, I never said nor insinuated
    that you have to be a member in order to browse the Forum, to the contrary. I have been saying, since I started this thread, that keeping new members from posting right does not prevent them from searching the Forum for and finding the answers the they seek.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2018
  17. realitybytez

realitybytez Audiosexual

right. so one idiot from a specific vpn vendor gets banned and everyone else that uses that vpn is s.o.l. or one person who uses comcast as their internet provider gets banned, and then nobody who uses comcast can post here. totally wrong solution.

18. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

Second.

19. I voted yes because the price of no may well be dumping a constant battle on our unpaid moderators.

20. GodHimSelf

GodHimSelf Platinum Record

I voted yes on the basis of a:
    1- moderator approval
    2- short period (1-2 days)

Not something long and boring.