Should new members be prevented from posting for a period of time in order to prevent spam?

Discussion in 'Forum News and Updates' started by TonyG, Apr 2, 2018.

?

Should new members be prevented from posting for a period of time in order to prevent spam?

1. Yes

37.9%
  2. No

62.1%
  1. Spyfxmk2

Spyfxmk2 Guest

Some thoughts i would like to share if you guys don't mind.... :bow: :

It is always nice to remind ourselves that we are all guests in the administator's house.

Respect the rules.

I would like to never see here again nazi & hitler images, that is not funny in any way imho :bow:

Also copying images from someone's vid just to prove that you're smart & create trolling is not intelligent & does not contain wisdom at all...
    ...again in my imho :bow:

Peace & Love to everyone. :bow:

note : Andrew created a thread some time ago about members leaving this community.....it is an interesting read/thread. :bow:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  2. TonyG

TonyG Guest

I'd rather say spare all of us from the few that have nothing better to do. Nobody is punishing anybody. There are plenty of sites that make you wait before you can post upon becoming a member. On some others they screen your first few posts. Here the impact upon new members would be significantly less because the majority of questions they will posit have been answered 100s of time. In the long run the site will run more efficiently because threads would be less repetitious.

3. NicoDPS

NicoDPS Platinum Record

4. SAiNT

SAiNT Creator Staff Member phonometrograph

I'd say something, but everything i would say has already been said by panaman and Sylenth.Will.Fall:mates:

please understand that this spam is a temporary problem. every day i'm testing new methods to fight it and eventually i will stop it. there's nothing to worry about.

• Like Like x 9
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  5. TonyG

TonyG Guest

Thanks for your hard work. I wish I had some expertise on preventing those types of attack to lend you a hand but my knowledge when it comes to that is zero.

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • List
  6. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

So ..... here we go again - this place is under attack again from some idiot!

As a new member: 1 thread a day!
    After 2 - 3 months you´ll have a status like everybody else in here: means you can post as many threads a day you like!

Too much work for the ops as it is now and a pain for everyone!

Just my opinion

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  7. TonyG

TonyG Guest

I will say: "Lock this bitch down" Build the Wall.

8. Billy Boils

Billy Boils Kapellmeister

TonyG0499, I have no idea how to eliminate the spammers, and I have no doubt that the inconvenience they cause is a large headache for those involved in running this site. From a layman's point of view I think that the focus should be on fixing the hole through which they enter, not on the militant vetting of those just seeking information and advice. I understand that your intention is good, but justifying something by saying that others do it, well, that doesn't present a very strong argument. What I said in my original post states a very strong argument, so strong in fact that collective punishment, what you are suggesting, is a violation of the Geneva Convention.

9. Lunarpole

Lunarpole Platinum Record

Though i am against it.But i think it should made mandatory to at least write in English. Other than that no need to ban anybody.

And moreover i know our audioz community they will troll the hell out of people who will spam at first place.

10. The Tone Gnome

The Tone Gnome Kapellmeister

I voted "No" for similar reasons to those posted above.

Just my 2¢. Stopping new members from posting for a fixed time period, irrespective of how short or long that time is, isn't really going to stop things like that from happening again, they'll just flood the forum when the wait is over.

Most forums I have been involved with, usually have a number of posts that have to be moderated/checked before they are allowed to reach the forum. Providing all later posts are blocked until each of those first ones is cleared, can help to prevent flooding/spamming etc. by catching it at the start. The problem with this is the increased work for the moderators, especially on popular forums or where there are only a few moderators.

The other option would be to limit the number of posts that a new member can make within a fixed time period - Say 24 hours or a week. If a new account starts flooding the forum, they would only get to make "X" number of posts before the limit is reached. This would limit the damage and the clean-up time involved and also allow the mods to ban the account before restriction is lifted. Obviously there are always going to be genuine cases where a member needs to make more posts. In these cases, then the option to contact the moderators to lift the restriction or increase the number of posts

11. TonyG

TonyG Guest

Again, new members they will not be " punished " by my suggestion because the information is available to everyone. Even non members can avail themselves of the information contain within every thread on this Forum. Do we need another thread on how to install and authorize Omnisphere or Kontakt?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    By the way, what does the Geneva Convention has to do with this here. The Geneva Conventions is a body of Public International Law also known as the Humanitarian Law of Armed Conflicts, whose purpose is to provide minimum protections, standards of humane treatment, and fundamental guarantees of respect to individuals who become victims of armed conflicts.

12. foster911

foster911 Guest

IP block is a good solution?:dunno:

13. OBKenobi

OBKenobi Producer

New members should make a post saying hello. Or make the forum English-only. Or limit how many posts a user can make, or make within a certain time.

14. Billy Boils

Billy Boils Kapellmeister

Although I think that you probably have plenty of information worth listening to, you are being childish in this instance. I am clearly arguing against collective punishment on this site being dished out via restrictions placed on new members. I gave an example of a world authority and their opinion on said collective punishment. Very valid point for my position, regardless of the source. You carry on now with your pedantry, as I have nothing more to say to you.

15. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

That wouldn´t help much forster!!! A lot of people has a dynamic IP!!!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  16. TonyG

TonyG Guest

@foster911
    Hey buddy, I have a question. Can ip blocking be circumvented with VPN?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. Audiozer

Audiozer Kapellmeister

Hello to you all.

Long time visitor. Figured now may be a good time to register, in case a year long wait period is imposed due to the sudden Chinese excitement for audio sex. :bow:

I come in peace.

18. foster911

foster911 Guest

All ISPs and VPN providers have limited amount of IPs. A good range checker can detect and filter them easily.

Also the attacker doesn't have much time to install all the free vpn tools or go to free PHP proxies to change his IP. It's a boring task.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  19. TonyG

TonyG Guest

Welcome to the Forum.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. TonyG

TonyG Guest

Thanks for info!