Should Mixbus Pro Finally Be Considered As A Serious Alternative?

Discussion in 'DAW' started by quadcore64, May 29, 2024.

1. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

With the release of Mixbus 10 Pro which includes many improved features, official Dolby Atmos & SSL 9000J just to name a few, Mixbus can finally be considered not just as a mixing platform, but also as a production environment (imho). After testing would you consider the same or similar?
    What are the Demo limitations when evaluating Mixbus?

Wish that Harrison had a better DEMO experience that allowed for a full feature trial period. Requiring a login to a Harrison user account for full features access would be one good solution.

Recent videos:
    Mixing a EDM beat with Mixbus PRO - SSL 9000 J - Style
    Getting Started with Dolby Atmos in Mixbus 10

Ipdate:
    Installed Mixbus 10 DEMO, imported tracks from ongoing session & started mixing without reading manual. Improved features are well done.

The SSL 9000J inside the Mixbus engine works way better than expected.

The added functionality of the dynamics allow for effortless sound shaping.

There were no xrun errors at session start or, while the session was running & being edited (the status light at the top right stayed green & had no warnings when opened).

After quitting Mixbus, noticed system was still connected to internet with manual open in browser & Windows Defender on (roughly 2 1/2 hours). Not one error...

Should also mention that the audible DEMO noise was very low & dull enough to not get in the way. Even with the random intervals. Completely forgot about it after awhile. Still would prefer to access to all features during the DEMO period. Better than iLok I guess.

Last edited: May 30, 2024
  3. Semarus

Semarus Producer

Maybe if you're on Linux, but you can't even address the LFE channel, thanks to Ardour of course. Until they sort out a independently developed solution, I'm still not convinced, even though the concept is compelling.