Should I wait for the next graphics card release by Nvidia?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by ( . ) ( . ), Aug 25, 2019.

1. ( . ) ( . )

( . ) ( . ) Audiosexual

So, RTX has been out for a while and cuz ur boy does alot of graphics and rendering and other shizz I'm slowly making plans for an upgrade of my 1080ti...

However, I don't trust that the RTX cards from Nvidia are really that ready when it comes to supporting ray tracing and probably isn't worth what you get from it yet...

So, the question posed, is it better to wait for the next release when they have a more polished/efficient version of these cards?

I guess I should since it's been a while since RTX came out and they're probably soon to realease a new one...

Sorry if this thread answers itself but im just letting my thoughts out I guess...

3. SAiNT

SAiNT Creator Staff Member phonometrograph

I'll probably wait as well.

4. r4e

r4e Audiosexual

I couldn't resist and bought an RTX 2080 on ebay for 2/3 of its price.

Shit was, I wanted to buy one of the new RTX Super Founders Edition but they were sold out at Nvidia for weeks.
    The RTX 2070 Super is almost as good as the 2080 but costs just 500€ and in the Founders Edition it just takes
    2 slots in the PC case while cooling pretty good, which is perfect for small form factor PC's.

If it would be me (and if I wouldn't have bought one already), I woult try the RTX Super Edition.
    I mean you still can send it back if it doesn't fit your expectation.

Nvidia's next generation of GPU's (Nvidia Ampere) will be manufactured using Samsung's 7nm process
    and that takes at least another year (Q2 or Q3 2020). So you can wait and go with your 1080 Ti (which is still very good)
    or you try it.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019